Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 11:41   #31

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Fitting Wind vane to Boat with Davits

Nice boat but the tower/arch built there looks a big strange...
1. One inch tubing?...
2. Way way too high - as far as I can see

So all together looks problematic for adding a wind generator and imho even for a secured hanging of your dinghy over an offshore cruise. - you need to support the dinghy also by wide straps under the hull.

I have davits - but mine are made of 6”x2.5” stainless profiles, are much lower, carry also 3 solar panels and double 2” tubing arches for a light CHIRP radar, multiple antennas, flood lighting and wind generator. See picture as it was built. It wasn’t cheap to build but it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkayak View Post
Dilema.

I have just purchased a wind vane. (Windy), and going to fit it to my MG346 build by Northshore. The back of my boat the design is I am told called sugar scoop. The problem is I have just had a sail arch with integrated davets built and installed to hold the tender, which will sit just where I want to Wind vane to pretude. See attached pic of back of boat. The tender is heavy Ribeye with central consol and engine will stay attached so when on long passagges I will need to tightly secure the tender so it does not swing at all otherise this could fail. Any suggestions as to how I install the windvane and or hang the tender.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F7A5D3E-81B2-470A-9158-ED8C45EBE1D6.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	200623  
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 14:38   #32

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
...I don't see how you could install the Monitor top assembly "remotely", offset from the center of the boat. Just does not seem plausible to me.
I am not recommending this, but mounting the vane portion of a Monitor higher and even offset from the centerline is not an insurmountable engineering challenge.

One would duplicate the rotating, pivoting air vane portion of the Monitor on a high point on the stern. Put it up there somewhere with no obstruction to the wind flow. The connection to the swinging, water oar, portion is a vertical rod, a bellcrank to a horizontal rod (to return the inputs back to the center of the vessel), and another bellcrank to connect it to the gears on the lower part of the Monitor which rotates the oar (and pulls ropes to steer the boat).

Simple eh?

I, however, would rather remove all the crap from the stern and let the Monitor have clear air right on the transom where it belongs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33-Wings in Fjiord_7485v2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	200631  
Old 27-09-2019, 15:18   #33
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkayak View Post
Dilema.

I have just purchased a wind vane. (Windy), and going to fit it to my MG346 build by Northshore. The back of my boat the design is I am told called sugar scoop. The problem is I have just had a sail arch with integrated davets built and installed to hold the tender, which will sit just where I want to Wind vane to pretude. See attached pic of back of boat. The tender is heavy Ribeye with central consol and engine will stay attached so when on long passagges I will need to tightly secure the tender so it does not swing at all otherise this could fail. Any suggestions as to how I install the windvane and or hang the tender.?
I believe I have seen only one or two examples of both on the stern and your sugar scoop makes it even more challenging. However, not a good idea to have a dinghy on the stern on an offshore passage; it has been done but not a good idea should the weather turn to be the worst.

You have more options on where to put the dinghy than where to put the Monitor...I recommend the forward deck. I removed my davits to install the Monitor and I'm not sorry.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 18:17   #34

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

I tend to agree with KadeyDrogen38... On long passages, my preference is to solidly secure the dingy on the deck or deflate and stow. In weather, towing or hanging on davits can become a problem.

I have an outboard mount on the port side of my canoe stern and a Monitor wind vane mounted on the center of the canoe stern... no arch or davits. I've found that even the small outboard does interfere with the Monitor on occasion. At times, I must move the outboard to provide clean air for the Monitor (this is inconvenient). I can't imagine trying to make the Monitor work reliably with an inflatable hanging on a arch/davit and disturbing the airflow.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, wind vane, davits, boat