Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 10:30   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post
Thanks for all who are willing to help.

Seawitch

Beautiful! Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 11:00   #32

Sea Tow wanted $600 to move my boat on the ICW about one mile... and I had the lower level insurance with them!
You may be better buying an outboard bracket (could always use it to store dingy motor later) and a used 10-20 hP motor to move it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 11:05   #33

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I wonder if you could buy Sea Tow or other insurance then tell them you engine is bad and you need a tow to haulout and fix it?
No. Pre-existing conditions exclusion. Plus the nature of the tow doesn't fit anyway.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 11:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No. Pre-existing conditions exclusion. Plus the nature of the tow doesn't fit anyway.
With the stern shape I don't see an outboard bracket working. Can you get the engine looked at? It would seem getting Sea Tow to get you clear of the marina and then your options would be open with a working iron jib?

Excuse me it I missed that you knew it is shot.

Keep in mind they charge portal to portal and that's theirs both ways.
Old 27-10-2014, 11:29   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Sea Tow wanted $600 to move my boat on the ICW about one mile... and I had the lower level insurance with them!
You may be better buying an outboard bracket (could always use it to store dingy motor later) and a used 10-20 hP motor to move it.
You had towing insurance from Sea Tow and they wanted $600 to move your boat one mile? So what the heck are you getting for the insurance, a free sticker and access to the toll free number?

Can't recall the specifics but if I recall Boat US towing, even the lowest level, towing was free for some maximum short distance and the more you paid the further you could get for a free tow.

So what would Sea Tow have charged for a one mile tow if you had no insurance?

For the OP, I would think if you paid an insured, professional towing company to move the boat then anything that happened in the process would be covered by the towing company's insurance.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 11:54   #36

The will pay, scares me. I hope you did you homework on realistic costs? If you find you didn't, you may be able to donate for a tax write off.

I don't mean to sound negative.
Old 27-10-2014, 12:15   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You had towing insurance from Sea Tow and they wanted $600 to move your boat one mile? So what the heck are you getting for the insurance, a free sticker and access to the toll free number?

Can't recall the specifics but if I recall Boat US towing, even the lowest level, towing was free for some maximum short distance and the more you paid the further you could get for a free tow.

So what would Sea Tow have charged for a one mile tow if you had no insurance?

For the OP, I would think if you paid an insured, professional towing company to move the boat then anything that happened in the process would be covered by the towing company's insurance.
I was going thru the Miami area in a recently acquired trawler I had. I had a fuel problem and moved the boat with the dingy about 1/4 mile before dark to anchor off the ICW. I had bought the lowest towing coverage (Silver?) I called the towing co on the VHF and they said they would come out. After I called, a nice boater called me privately and said they would charge me $600... be aware! When they arrived I asked if it would cost, they confirmed what the caller had said..... so I refused to take their tow line.
I got fresh fuel by dingy the next am at the Marina I wanted a tow to.
Lesson learned? Only by the Gold highest level towing insurance. The tow company wouldn't even bring me a gallon of fresh fuel...

Old 27-10-2014, 12:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post
Difference is, they were upfront from the get go. They wanted to free up the 50' slip, and get the boat out. I ended up dealing direct with a real sweetheart of an attorney. Assistant city attorney matter of fact. So everything is signed, and legal, with no surprises. Clear as Vodka, move boat by X date.

The price was nothing. Also, they want it out fast, so down i go to move it in a couple days. The boat is moldy inside. The paint is still protecting, surface mold only....So i need a few 3m mask's, some vinegar, bleach, scrubbers, and elbow grease... Can't wait!
Sending you a PM about a possible good reasonable mechanic in the area...

Old 27-10-2014, 12:35   #39

Quote:
I was going thru the Miami area in a recently acquired trawler I had. I had a fuel problem and moved the boat with the dingy about 1/4 mile before dark to anchor off the ICW. I had bought the lowest towing coverage (Silver?) I called the towing co on the VHF and they said they would come out. After I called, a nice boater called me privately and said they would charge me $600... be aware! When they arrived I asked if it would cost, they confirmed what the caller had said..... so I refused to take their tow line.
I got fresh fuel by dingy the next am at the Marina I wanted a tow to.
Lesson learned? Only by the Gold highest level towing insurance. The tow company wouldn't even bring me a gallon of fresh fuel...
As neither has a silver plan, I'm not sure whether you have Sea Tow or Towboat US. Sea Tow's only lower plan than their Gold is a Lake Plan which covers, as the name implies, lakes only. Tow Boat US has a Basic plan for $24 per year. It very clearly shows on their website that it only covers the first $50 of towing.

Did you get the tow plan as a freebie from a marina or someone else? That's where I'm seeing people think they have more than they do.

I'd advise anyone to look carefully. The companies are good but the plans have specific benefits and limitations.

As to towing from a home dock to somewhere else, Boat US's Unlimited Saltwater covers 50% and their Unlimited Gold covers 100%. As to Sea Tow, they don't cover towing from your home dock. The assumption is that they tow you there, not away.
Old 27-10-2014, 12:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As neither has a silver plan, I'm not sure whether you have Sea Tow or Towboat US. Sea Tow's only lower plan than their Gold is a Lake Plan which covers, as the name implies, lakes only. Tow Boat US has a Basic plan for $24 per year. It very clearly shows on their website that it only covers the first $50 of towing.

Did you get the tow plan as a freebie from a marina or someone else? That's where I'm seeing people think they have more than they do.

I'd advise anyone to look carefully. The companies are good but the plans have specific benefits and limitations.

As to towing from a home dock to somewhere else, Boat US's Unlimited Saltwater covers 50% and their Unlimited Gold covers 100%. As to Sea Tow, they don't cover towing from your home dock. The assumption is that they tow you there, not away.
Yeah... It may have been towboat, or boat us or... sorry about that. it's been 4 years. it seems they are related in some way... or maybe just cover each other's areas sometimes?
I purchased the insurance for about $100 / year. The top plan was $150 or 200 something like that. I figured for a local ICW tow the lower plan would be adequate. Haha.. not so...

Old 27-10-2014, 13:12   #41

I think I'm missing something here. You really want to get the boat to Annapolis - right? Seems to me the only good alternative is to get a transport company to load the boat on a truck Bring in a crane to lift on the truck. Is that cost prohibitive?

On another note, taking the boat up the intracoastal may be tough for a boat that big. How tall is the mast and what does she draw?

And last, if you get it going and do want to get it to Annapolis, I might be able to help as crew. I have plenty of blue water experience. (The weather window for that move is closing fast).
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 13:41   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Yeah... It may have been towboat, or boat us or... sorry about that. it's been 4 years. it seems they are related in some way... or maybe just cover each other's areas sometimes?
I purchased the insurance for about $100 / year. The top plan was $150 or 200 something like that. I figured for a local ICW tow the lower plan would be adequate. Haha.. not so...
Yeah I'm not so sure Sea Tow would do that under their standard plans. I went to Sea Tow after a really bad experience with that other very large tow service (which will remain nameless) that tried to turn a simple tow into a salvage because it was cold out and the operator didn't feel like getting in his boat that night.
I've had good experiences with Sea Tow, fortunately only once twice in 25 years since I've been with them, once on my boat, once on another friends boat where they came out and helped since I was a sea tow member and on the boat. Of course it can also come down to the individual Captain since they are basically a franchise.
Know your rights and read the fine print before signing on to any marine tow service, it's amazing what hides in the fine print.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 14:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Yeah I'm not so sure Sea Tow would do that under their standard plans. I went to Sea Tow after a really bad experience with that other very large tow service (which will remain nameless) that tried to turn a simple tow into a salvage because it was cold out and the operator didn't feel like getting in his boat that night.
I've had good experiences with Sea Tow, fortunately only once twice in 25 years since I've been with them, once on my boat, once on another friends boat where they came out and helped since I was a sea tow member and on the boat. Of course it can also come down to the individual Captain since they are basically a franchise.
Know your rights and read the fine print before signing on to any marine tow service, it's amazing what hides in the fine print.
None of them cover salt water towing for $100. Tow Boat US starts at $149 for that and Sea Tow starts at $169.

Your point on salvage is a reminder. Your tow membership does not cover salvage. You are not the only person I've seen to think it should be a tow and the tow company wanted to call it salvage. Everyone please make sure you have salvage coverage on your boat insurance. Even if you don't have hull protection on your own boat, have salvage, as salvage costs start high and only get worse. And, yes, you can get salvage coverage on a liability policy.
Old 27-10-2014, 14:26   #44

I had a good experience with Tow Boat US years ago. However, they or any other tow co. is not going to insure his car after the accident.

Just sounds like bad planning. I may be like being between a rock and a hard place. I can only wish him well since I believe he may have bought someone else's problem? Not the boat, the situation.
Old 27-10-2014, 15:40   #45

Boat: O'Day 27

I am glad somebody is going to fix Seawitch up. I was actually aboard her last winter, I was moored just across the fairway from her last winter, and the marina staff allowed me to go aboard. I will be returning to Titusville again this winter in November but you will probably have moved on by then.
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail