Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 08:22   #181

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Came across this boat design today in a sale ad. Dufour 35Year = 1978 Asking Price = £ 19,950 (US$ 25,791) Location = UK Southhampton 1978 Dufour 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Dufour 35 is a very strongly built boat, but I'm not convince that flush deck is a great cruising feature at least up to the mast. The foredeck can be flush to store the dinghy upside down when sailing or sunbathing at anchorage, but behind the mast, I like to be able to move forward with my harness & a good handgrip, in the middle of the night when a blow just hits us without warning...
Cheers
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 14:29   #182

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Taswell 49 at Santa Cruz Island California (Channel Islands National Park)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sailsf...lbum-721576218
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3807573207_d52d30f327_o.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	150674  
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:32   #183
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Taswell 49 at Santa Cruz Island California (Channel Islands National Park)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sailsf...lbum-721576218

Nice looking boat!

Thanks for sharing your video here, adding to the mix of interesting FDB.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:41   #184
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wally "Tango"

LOA = 100 feet

Just launched.
Flush Deck.
Check out that keel.

"The 100′ Wally ‘Tango’ was launched in Savona Italy yesterday to begin a busy month of sea trials before the handover to the client. This opens a new chapter in an intense and exciting build project, our largest to date. It is also we believe the most innovative, the most stylish, and certainly has been one of the most satisfying to develop in collaboration with the client and his team, Wally Yachts, Pininfarina, and Persico Marine. More here: http://mills-design.com/news/"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5523.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	153359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5524.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	153360  

Name:	IMG_5525.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	153361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5526.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	153362  

Old 11-08-2017, 09:37   #185
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sundeer 56 or 60

Steady's Notes:
I recently had the opportunity to board a Sundeer 56/60 while I was on another boat that had to raft up to it in St. John's (Newfoundland) harbor. While I was not able to see below decks because the owner/crew was not aboard at the time, I was very impressed by what I saw when I carefully and quietly crossed their decks to first tie up to the boat and then later, to get ashore.

The first impression was "high quality." Everything on this particular boat looked "Bristol condition" and all of the hardware and finish looked perfect. Everything from the teak trim (minimal) to the stainless was in perfect condition.

My second impression was of the hard dodger/Pilothouse. I liked what I saw. Some Sundeer boats have a soft dodger, but most apparently have a hard dodger (doghouse) or pilothouse. This one was long enough for two internal settees that looked about 6 feet long. It was very nicely constructed, and appears to give excellent visibility to anyone sitting inside on watch. On this particular boat, the doghouse/pilothouse had an enclosed build, with doors to the rest of the cockpit. I mention this, because I have seen others that were open (no doors enclosing the aft end of pilothouse). I very much liked what I saw. I suppose the doors could be removed in the tropics (on other boats), but in the cold water location I was in at the time, the thought of a nice dry and warm protected pilothouse/doghouse was appreciated.

My third impression was of the wide side decks as I walked forward towards the bow (we had to raft up). These boats are designed as flush deck boats, so the deck forward of the pilothouse is relatively flat and open. I walked forward and past the numerous large Dorade vents (the boat has 10), each with a granny bar guard around it. The impression I had was of "great working deck space" and "security" from numerous handholds and a higher lifeline (I estimate 32 inches). The relatively flat deck was covered in nice anti-slip paint. Everything felt "high quality" and well designed. There were several large square deck hatches too.

Here are some more facts and statements from my notes on this boat design. It is one of my favorites, so over the years I have collected some facts and snippets of descriptions. I encourage sailors to read about these boats and their design because they represent such a high level of "blue water boat design" and have many interesting features.

The photos I am posting below are simply added to illustrate this boat. The Sundeer line includes a 64 footer, and you may see one in the following photos, I am adding it to show the design too. They are very similar. The 56/60 is essentially the same boat, with the 60 having a larger lazzerette locker in the stern.

Some Facts and Opinions by Reviewers:

Steady: Designed by Steve Dashew. To learn more about Dashew, google his name to find his site "Set Sail" and then read his bio and some of his books (he has provided several of his excellent books as free download PDF files). I learned a lot by reading his "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia" 28 years ago, and it is one of his free books today. Highly recommended.

Snippets from other reviews:

"They were built by Tillotson Pearson Industrial Composites or TPI for short in Warren, Rhode Island.

They produced seventeen of the 56/60 Sundeers from 1994 to 1997.

They regularly average over 200 nautical miles a day offshore.

The Sundeer has large capacity tanks carrying 400 gallons of water and 220 gallons of fuel.

Steady: By design, there is no requirement or need to have a watermaker or generator, or in most places an air conditioner.

A good review (written in 2000) tells some details.
A New Dawn for Sundeer - boats.com
Here are some excerpts:

"All raw water intake is via a single through-hull fitting that feeds a manifold with taps to the engine, fridge, toilets, etc., and all output is through a single exhaust above the waterline in the stern of the boat, or through big structural standpipes that require no seacocks. Each of the segregated watertight compartments in the boat has its own electric bilge pumps, and a single high-capacity engine-driven crash pump has intakes plumbed into each compartment for emergency use.

With a Displacement/Length ratio of 80, the boat's hull qualifies it as an ultralight racer, but its rig, with a Sail Area/Displacement ratio of 17.5 is, by comparison, quite conservative. This is the core of the Sundeer concept: a light, very easily-driven hull coupled with a modest, easily handled sail plan.

Most importantly, the radical D/L is achieved not through radical lightweight construction, but primarily through hullform. This is not a large boat, but a long one that maximizes waterline, arguably the single most significant factor when it comes to performance, while minimizing beam, thus greatly reducing wetted surface while maintaining directional stability. The entry is very fine and the bilges are rounded rather than flat, reducing both horizontal and vertical wave resistance. Because the long, narrow hull has good directional stability and does not need a tall rig to drive it, the keel can be kept short and shallow, further reducing wetted surface while enhancing structural integrity. For cruising sailors this has added benefits. The six-foot draft allows access to shoal-water cruising grounds, and the 64-foot mast can squeak under bridges on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Steering and Sail Handling: What struck us most about the Sundeer is that under sail she does not feel at all like a 60-foot boat. From behind the wheel, the impression is of an easily managed 45-footer. Only when one starts moving forward along the deck toward the bow and notices the trip takes longer than expected is the boat's true size made apparent.

In anything approaching favorable conditions, it will be easy to push this boat over 200 miles a day, and in ideal conditions, you should see around 240 miles.

But the most remarkable aspect of the boat's speed is how effortless it can seem. On several occasions in moderate conditions, when it felt as though the boat was just lazing along, we glanced at the speedo and were surprised to find we were turning a crisp 10 knots.

One may be tempted to dismiss the concept of a 60-foot boat that can be easily sailed by one or two people as oxymoronic, but, in fact, it is not. Again, this is not a large boat, simply a long one. The rig is short and the sails can be set, reefed and furled without any electric or hydraulic assistance. The deck and interior are very comfortable and easy to move around in a seaway. The systems are well thought out, easy to access and maintain, and can, if one chooses, be kept extremely simple for a boat this size. "

Specifications for the Sundeer 60

LOA 59'11"
LWL. 59'0"
Beam 13'6"
Draft. 6'0"
Displ. 36,500 lbs.
Ballast 11,500 lbs.
Sail area 1,205 sq. ft.
D/L 80
SA/D 17.5
B/D 32%
Engine 88-h.p. Yanmar 4-cyl. diesel
Fuel 220 gals.
Water 400 gals.
Designer Steve Dashew
Builder TPI Composites, Inc. & Sundeer Yachts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5550.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	153879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5552.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	153880  

Name:	IMG_5553.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	153881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5555.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	153882  

Name:	IMG_5556.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	153883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	153884  

Name:	IMG_5560.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	153885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5561.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	153886  

Name:	IMG_5563.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	153887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5562.GIF
Views:	161
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	153888  

Name:	IMG_5570.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	153889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5571.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	153890  

Old 12-08-2017, 06:34   #186
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a scale model of a 28' variation (that was not built) of a Flush Deck Boat named "RANGER" that sailed on Sydney Harbor for 70 years.

Sharing here because I think the model looks nice and this is of a FDB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5575.JPG
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	153973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5576.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	153974  

Old 13-08-2017, 01:04   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
[SIZE="5"]Sundeer 56 or 60[/SIZE Steady's Notes:
I recently had the opportunity to board a Sundeer 56/60...
Builder TPI Composites, Inc. & Sundeer Yachts
Inside neads another head ! Can you see yourself in the master bedroom, in the middle of the night with an urgent need to drain your beer belly ? You have to go all the way to the companionway & open two doors !
Another thing: If you want a sailboat to go anywhere (From a shallow lagoon in the Tropics to Antartica, you're better to have a fully enclosed steering position such as on Poupon's alloy 70 footer with its lifting keel & free standing carbon mizzen mast. Amen !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Take@Leak.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	154019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleur_Australe.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	154020  

Name:	FleurAustrale.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	154021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleur-Australe.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	154022  

Old 13-08-2017, 01:18   #188
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Inside neads another head ! Can you see yourself in the master bedroom, in the middle of the night with an urgent need to drain your beer belly ? You have to go all the way to the companionway & open two doors !
Another thing: If you want a sailboat to go anywhere (From a shallow lagoon in the Tropics to Antartica, you're better to have a fully enclosed steering position such as on Poupon's alloy 70 footer with its lifting keel & free standing carbon mizzen mast. Amen !
The second head was optional but the master became smaller as a result. Remember it was designed as a boat for a couple.

It was also not designed for the polar regions.

Was very successful with average mileages of over 50,000 per boat. Many have circumnavigated, some multiple times.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:12   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The second head was optional but the master became smaller as a result. Remember it was designed as a boat for a couple. It was also not designed for the polar regions. Was very successful with average mileages of over 50,000 per boat. Many have circumnavigated, some multiple times.
Any web sites where owners talk about their cruises & their sailboat ???
Old 13-08-2017, 12:16   #190
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Any web sites where owners talk about their cruises & their sailboat ???
Here: SetSail FPB » Blog Archive » Deerfoot and Sundeer History
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:15   #191

Boat: Charger 33 (Angelo Lavranos)

Hi All, anybody know anything about this boat on the picture? She is in NZ at the moment for sale, but the seller don't know the designer or builder. One thing is fairly sure she built in the UK in the early '80, made of steel and LOA 10m (approximately). Any comment on this would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flushdeck.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	159267  
nagy592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:53   #192

Boat: no boat any more

could be a german Reinke design (REINKE TYPYACHT - KONSTRUKTION )
Old 05-03-2018, 14:10   #193
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Freedom 44 Cat Ketch (1983)

Two views of the Flush Deck

(March 2018 this boat is currently for sale, see yachtworld)
1983 Freedom Cat Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Specs
Keel: Centerboard

Dimensions
LOA: 44 ft 0 in
Beam: 13 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 6 in
Displacement: 24000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 60 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1994
Engine Model: Pima
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2500
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 60 HP

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9153.JPG
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	165563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9154.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	165564  

Old 05-03-2018, 14:49   #194
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Freedom 40 CB Cat Ketch

Year = 1980

Asking Price = $59,900

Location = Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin, USA

Steady's Notes

I once considered buying one of these (back in the 1980s) when it was priced about $140K as I recall.

When I boarded the boat I was struck by the unusual Free Standing Masts, the unusual Flush Deck design, and the very roomy interior with nice interior finish, and the simple sail handing controls in the cockpit. I was impressed then, and still am.

The layout is different from most boats, and while it is an unusual design, I like the look of it and the "feel" of the boat when on it. The flush deck, keyhole bulkhead, overhead hatches, and topsides portlights make the interior seem spacious and light. I like it.

Notice in these photos the way the dinghy is carried on the Flush Deck.

Notice the shallow draft. I think this would be a nice boat for cruising the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, and the ICW to the Chesapeake (for gunkholing).

NOTE! One of the photos below shows a secondary ladder in the saloon. That is NOT the primary ladder to the cockpit, which is further aft.

If any CF Member owns one of these boats, I will volunteer as crew in order to get some time on one. I would enjoy seeing how it sails.

March 2018 Ad

1980 Freedom 40' CB Cat Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Specifications

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Dimensions
LOA: 40 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 0 in
LWL: 34 ft 10 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 9 ft 0 in
Displacement: 20000 lbs
Ballast: 6000 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 4 in

Shoal draft with Centerboard
4' 10" Draft with the centerboard up. 9' draft with the centerboard down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9158.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	165570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9157.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	165571  

Name:	IMG_9159.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	165572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9161.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	165573  

Name:	IMG_9165.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	165574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9164.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	165575  

Name:	IMG_9163.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	165576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9162.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	165577  

Old 14-03-2018, 13:04   #195
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Storm King

This boat was home designed and built by Ron Beltz in Hobart Tasmania, in 1938. Planking came from a single log of Huon pine!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Vessels Storm King | Explore | Australian Register of Historic Vessels | Australian National Maritime Museum

EXCERPT:
"STORM KING is a raised deck cutter and is in excellent condition. The hull still retains its classic profile and 1930s appearance. One of the few changes is the removal of the doghouse aft and the addition of a small coach house over the saloon for added headroom. STORM KING won two categories at the 1996 Sydney Wooden Boat Festival: 'Best Presented Yacht' and 'Best in Show'.

The cutter STORM KING is a yacht built in Tasmania in the late 1930s. It was built by Ronald Beltz, and is an amateur designed and built yacht from Tasmania.

The lines for STORM KING came off the Huon pine half model Beltz had carved to design the hull. He built STORM KING in his Lenah Valley back yard, pit-sawing the planks in a vacant area down hill from the house from a single Huon pine log he acquired from the Tasmanian west coast. The planks were passed through his cabinet maker's machinery. The children helped after school, fastening the planks to the framing with copper nails and roves. It is heavily built in 25 mm (1'') thick planks, and although dressed finished, some planks still show adze marks on the inside. The transom is a single plank of Huon pine."

28 ft x 34 ft x 27 ft x 9.5 ft x 4.5 ft, 6 tons)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9426.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	166262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9453.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	166263  

Name:	IMG_9455.JPG