Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2023, 05:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Folding mast steps for cruising

With a finite element analysis computer program, yes, I could probably figure out the wind resistance of mast steps, and what, if any, disturbance it does to wind flow over the main, but my seat of the pants guess is that it is likely marginal, considering all the rigging, halyards, reef lines, etc, that most boats have.

Also.....sail shape, condition and age, has as much to do with sailing performance as anything. An old baggy sail will simply not perform as well as a new sail, etc, regardless of mast steps.

Finally, sail trim and boat performance is as much the skipper's knowledge and experience as anything else.

At the end of the day, it matters not to me. I like mast steps and think they are a boon to any sailor wandering offshore and offer only my opinion on the matter.

If others don't like them or want them, for any reason, simply don't put them on YOUR boat.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 14:32   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Folding mast steps for cruising

@Nektron73: I would place them so that the smallest crew can use them without becoming unduly tired. However, it you're a big person, with long legs, and you singlehand all the time, space them to fit your comfortable steps.

With closed loop steps, your foot cannot slip off the outer edge. The folders can be set up so they don't rattle, and closed, there is much less windage, which is an issue if it matters to you.

Ann

Tags
cruising, mast