Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 06:38   #16

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Folding masts

Bcharles

Checkout Com-pact cat boats. http://www.com-pacyachts.com/ These boats have a hinged mast system for easy dropping of the mast and rig. Just a thought.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:20   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Tabernacles are a major structural element. I suppose it is possible to retrofit them to a built boat, but this should be a very thoughtful process. On my boat the tabernacles run to the keel and are very securely tied into the bulkheads. The bulkheads are placed with supporting the tabernacles in mind.

The tabernacle and hinge pin height is selected with lever arm considerations. Also on my boat consideration for how the masts will lay when the horizontal for trailering is also a consideration. Raising carbon fibre masts of about 30 feet is quite easy. Obvious the longer and heavier the mast the more difficult.

Chotu, I have enjoyed following your cat build out. I have a mental picture of an awesome boat coming together. I imagine a folding mast using tabernacles is possible, but 60 foot is a serious long mast for this. Being a cat I suppose runners could be set at each bow to winch the mast up and down under full control. Think this through carefully with consideration of the lever arm produced by the rig as it comes down. A gin pole will likely be necessary.
Thank you for the kind words. It's a fairly daunting process. Lots of adversity to overcome. But the hinged mast is a big one I'd like to see if I can get working. I don't see using it all that often but the number of calm, peaceful places you can go to unwind without nearly 70' of stick is worth giving it a shot.

I had considered just getting a crane each time but the independence of having a hinged mast or Tabernacle would really make things better. Opens up a whole new world of exploration.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 07:42   #18

Chotu, do I remember seeing pictures of Wharram cats fitted with tabernacles?
Old 26-01-2020, 07:56   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Chotu, do I remember seeing pictures of Wharram cats fitted with tabernacles?
Yeah. I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it seem.

It has to stay in column when you're using it, then I'd think you start off using the forestay or halyard run to the forestay attachment point to lower it, then start transferring the load to a gin pole as it gets lower. Finally, have a bit of a cradle for it to sit in when all the way down.

I only see using it in calm water and weather for fun excursions inland.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 08:16   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Are you going forward or back with the mast? And is it deck stepped or on the cabin top?
Old 26-01-2020, 08:24   #21

Chotu, I agree with your thoughts on the rigging.

I visualize a tabernacle high enough to allow your mast to rest in its cradle above the coach roof. With the mast down there will be what? 40 feet? of mast hanging horizontally above the water behind you boat? That requires some thought.

On my boat the tabernacles are carbon fiber and epoxy over a high density foam core. It is amazing how much stiffness is provided by a relatively thin layer of carbon.
So I am thinking you can definitely build a tabernacle with sufficient strength. Design in a wedge under the mast to transfer the vertical compression loads under sail to the transverse beam and into the hulls, thus not requiring the tabernacle and hinge pin to have the compressive strength otherwise required. Drive the wedge in with a mallet after the mast is raised.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Are you going forward or back with the mast? And is it deck stepped or on the cabin top?
Don’t own a boat yet! That’s why I’m thinking about it. I tried posting a video for a Seaward 26. (Pending moderator?). It’s probably similar for the Com-pac and others that people suggested.

They may all different in how they hinge but it’s more than either the fore or aft stays.
Bcharles123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 09:02   #23

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

My Macgregor 26 mast goes up/down no problem. Connect the winch, hook one end to mast, other end to foresail mount, tighten slightly to relieve pressure on headstay, then disconnect headstay, and lower the mast. You can control how far to lower it, so you could lower it just enough to motor under the bridge, then raise it again.
My Mac has roller furling, so the foresail isn't an issue.

Depending on where you want to sail, probably best to leave the mast down until you are past that last bridge, then raise it and your good for the day.

Another good thing about the Mac (mine is 26S) it has a swing keel, and very shallow draft, so there is no problem going into shallow water. You could take it right up on a beach if you wanted, tie it off on shore.

And it still sails too.

One of the most popular boats ever built, over 40,000 sold. Not many others can claim that. There should be lots for sale near you.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, mast