Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Foot in the door

So, last night we watched All is Lost. This morning we woke up to news of the Misadventures of Rebel Heart.

And this afternoon we got news that the sellers accepted our offer on a Pearson 39-2. Yay?

This is the farthest we have gotten on our search and we are excited for the surveys and sea trial!
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Foot in the door

You can get slammed by an out-of-control driver on the freeway or hit by a bus crossing a street Greenhand. Don't let bad news cause you to fear the adventure.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:13   #3

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Congratts!! I can not wait till we get that far. Id say to be where you are now I hope within 5 years. Be sure to keep updating how it all goes.

wandering and wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:24   #4

Cruising aint for everyone, but anyone can do it. If you do everything right, build everything robust and install everything you might possibly need....survival still isnt a foregone conclusion!
Congrats on the boat! and Welcome to boat mechanics 101!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
Congratts!! I can not wait till we get that far. Id say to be where you are now I hope within 5 years. Be sure to keep updating how it all goes.
Nine months ago we were five years away, then we got a job offer on the coast. Three months ago we were three years away, but wouldn't it be fun to start looking so we have an idea of what we will be getting. It will still be a few years until we become full time cruisers, but as liveaboards, our rent will be considerably less than it is now and we will really know our boat if we start living aboard now. While there is room for improvement, our learning curve is getting a bit flat on our pocket cruiser.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56   #6

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Just be sure the time does not jump like that out on the water. . I hope there are no big surprises for you on your new home.

wandering and wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53   #7

Today is our rigging survey! We are so excited to see her again
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23   #8

remember your spiral note tablet! It becomes your brain for boat things. Each time you go to the boat you will come up with a question or especially, you will see another thing to put on the project list! Just part of the fun...

Old 08-04-2014, 12:04   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Congratulations!!!

If all is lost and Rebel heart makes you nervous don't look at how many car accidents occur before you even leave for work in the morning. Bad things happen all the time the only difference is car fatalities are common place and "unavoidable" boat accidents are more dramatic there for get more attention. Just because I can't drown on my couch doesn't mean I'm never going swimming again.

Enjoy your dream and now your reality!!! I can't wait for the day we also get to upgrade and set off far away.
Old 08-04-2014, 16:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Congratulations!!!

If all is lost and Rebel heart makes you nervous don't look at how many car accidents occur before you even leave for work in the morning. Bad things happen all the time the only difference is car fatalities are common place and "unavoidable" boat accidents are more dramatic there for get more attention. Just because I can't drown on my couch doesn't mean I'm never going swimming again.

Enjoy your dream and now your reality!!! I can't wait for the day we also get to upgrade and set off far away.
Exactly, I would guess that many of those bitching drive to work on SO Cal freeways every day, are breathing So Cal air that IS ruining their lungs and probably go on vacations to Parks where bears and cougars kill people every year.

Old 08-04-2014, 16:28   #11

Meh, a sea lion scared the begeebees out of me in our kayak on Sunday - it was close enough that when it freaked out and dove, it splashed us

Just a few minor issues with the rigging, but he did point out a soft spot in the deck. We have to wait until next Wednesday to find out more about that from the hull survey.

It only took us five minutes to find all the switches to turn the running lights on so that he could check them while he was up there.
Old 08-04-2014, 17:45   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Congrats on your offer and the soon-to-be new boat. I've always thought Pearsons were great boats. As to your question, I have a different perspective regarding risk and fear. It seems that we under-estimate the things that can harm us and overwhelm ourselves with anxiety about things that carry little risk. I used to help teach scuba diving and would often see partners come in where one was really fearful about diving. They usually did OK, were competent, and got certified, but I often wondered if they stayed with it because they liked diving; or at the worst extreme, if they ever faced a time in which they weren't able to respond to a problem and panic got to them. Fear is a good thing. It can help you think and keep you from doing something stupid. A constant nagging fear (aka anxiety) is a prelude to panic and not being able to think. This might not be where you are at, but IMO, this is not a good thing and should be looked into further. This kind of assessment might tell someone that maybe they don't cross oceans, or they need to try to minimize the chances of getting caught out in a storm, or they should not singlehand, whatever. This just might lessen the possibility of losing it completely and becoming the kind of statistic no one wants to be...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote