Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 16:46   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Foresail Sheets on Cooper 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP450 View Post
Is this the standard position for the tracks or are yours closer to the p/house than others? Does anyone else have the same problem with the sheet blocks rubbing on the p/house? Tony.
The only block I have on my fore sheet is on the toerail.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The only block I have on my fore sheet is on the toerail.
Does the block clip to the actual toerail so you can move it fore & aft to change the sheeting position or is it permanently mounted to the toerail in one fixed position? Did you have to strenghten up the toerail to take the load or was it ok to start with? What size sheet ropes do you use?
TonyP450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:57   #33

Boat: Cooper 416

Quote:
Is this the standard position for the tracks or are yours closer to the p/house than others? Does anyone else have the same problem with the sheet blocks rubbing on the p/house? Tony.
Hard for me to answer as in 22 years of ownership and sailing her on the east coast I've only ever seen 1 other Cooper (a 35' I think)! To be clear about the location: the lead car has full motion pivoting from vertical to outboard, and maybe 20 degrees of motion pivoting inboard. The rubber bumpers I've installed on the inboard side of each block prevent any damage when a sheet isn't controlled.

I still haven't had a chance to visit & take some photos--it'll probably take a couple of weeks more before I get down there.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:49   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Does the block clip to the actual toerail so you can move it fore & aft to change the sheeting position or is it permanently mounted to the toerail in one fixed position? Did you have to strenghten up the toerail to take the load or was it ok to start with? What size sheet ropes do you use?
They're very heavy snatch blocks but I don't move them often. The toerails seem fine and I suspect it's how it's always been on this boat. Off the top of my head I think the sheets are 1/2 inch.

Old 05-03-2012, 20:32   #35

Quote:
They're very heavy snatch blocks but I don't move them often. The toerails seem fine and I suspect it's how it's always been on this boat. Off the top of my head I think the sheets are 1/2 inch.
Is this form of sheeting common on the 416?Does your 416 have any tracks on the deck for headsail sheet blocks or did you remove them?
With regards to your main, are you able to reef it from the cockpit or do you have to go to the mast to do this?
Old 05-03-2012, 21:04   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Is this form of sheeting common on the 416?Does your 416 have any tracks on the deck for headsail sheet blocks or did you remove them?
With regards to your main, are you able to reef it from the cockpit or do you have to go to the mast to do this?
I've a Hood in mast furling main, so yes, I can reef from the cockpit. The boat has never had tracks. I don't know how common it is but I have seen another sheeted this way.

Old 05-03-2012, 21:19   #37

Sorry Greg, I forgot you told me that a few years ago. Yes, I still have my Swanson but still looking for a 416. As an Aussie, I have seen them come down in price over there in the last few years but haven't found the right one to get...but it will happen as they tick more boxes than most for me at present.

Pleased to hear you still have yours. Did you get the watermaker installed? If so, has that solved the healing issue with water on one side only?
Old 05-03-2012, 22:24   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes. It has worked well for me. I put a 7 gallon tank under the settee that once held the black water and use that for drinking. I periodically pump some over to the big tank and use it for washing.

There's not a lot of them around but I see one for sale in Mazatlan right now.

Old 06-03-2012, 00:26   #39

Quote:
Yes. It has worked well for me. I put a 7 gallon tank under the settee that once held the black water and use that for drinking. I periodically pump some over to the big tank and use it for washing.

There's not a lot of them around but I see one for sale in Mazatlan right now.
I am pleased to hear that. What make of w/maker did you purchase & how often do you need to run it?

I have seen that one & there is one in LB Ca which has the galley & dinette the opposite to you & no inside station that has been on the market for nearly 5 years now which looks ok but can't be as others have come & gone during this time.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:17   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's a Katadyne 80e. They have to be run at least once every 2 weeks to keep the membrane healthy or else they have to be pickled. I run it at least once a week when I'm on the boat anyway. On a good sunny day it will run off the solar panels.

That one in Long Beach is most likely a US42. They had a fire at Cooper Industries in, I think, 1983 and stopped building the 416. Someone else bought the rights and started building the US42. I've been told they aren't as well built.

Old 06-03-2012, 21:00   #41

Boat: Cooper 416

Quote:

That one in Long Beach is most likely a US42. They had a fire at Cooper Industries in, I think, 1983 and stopped building the 416. Someone else bought the rights and started building the US42. I've been told they aren't as well built.
I think the fire was a bit after that. My hull number shows a date of 03/84 and was built by Cooper. (at least the hull number is prefixed "CEL", the electrical panel is engraved "Cooper", and [perhaps least significant] it was represented to us when we bought her).

Any idea where the US42 was built?
Old 06-03-2012, 21:17   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinfeld View Post
I think the fire was a bit after that. My hull number shows a date of 03/84 and was built by Cooper. (at least the hull number is prefixed "CEL", the electrical panel is engraved "Cooper", and [perhaps least significant] it was represented to us when we bought her).

It sounds like it's a Cooper. The information I have is hand-me-down and filtered through my memory.

The company that built the US42 was USYachts and they were a division of Bayliner. It's hard to find out much about them though. They had a couple incarnations, the latter one being when they built both the Huntingford designed 35 (Cooper 353) and the 42.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:23   #43

Sounds like you are happy with the watermaker. I haven't heard of that brand so will do some research into it. Yes, the fire had Cooper stop making as you said & I have heard that the US Yacht is not as good as the Cooper. Maybe that is why it is still on the market. There ar 2 in Mazatlin for sale & 4 in total on Yacht World for sale. I guess that is a testament to how good they are as not many for sale.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38   #44

Quote:

Doug, what Greg said is about right, a division of Bayliner. Maybe there was a couple of Cooper hulls made that didn't get destroyed in the fire as the broker at LB said it was a Cooper but not being there to inspect was sceptical. What does the CEL stand for & where is the 3/84 marking placed on the hull?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24   #45

Quote:

Doug, I have worked out what the CEL stands for.
Below is where they were built & a link to some info on the Cooper that has a link to the US Yachts & Bayliner that may give you some info.

Cooper Enterprises Ltd.
1642 Langan Ave.
Port Coquilan, B.C.
V3C 1K5 Canada

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2419
I guess what it all means is that you have a Cooper.
As asked before, where is the CEL marking placed on the hull?

Tags
cooper, cooper 416, rigging, sheets