Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2023, 16:43   #1

Boat: 1975 30' C&C 1/2 Ton
Forestay on 30' C&C

I'm trying to raise a jib that came with this boat.The forestay on this 1975 sailboat looks like the luff of the jib slides up into it and I can raise the jib by pulling on the jib halyard. No hanks involved.

Does anyone know the name of this kind of forestay?
stanirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 18:09   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Forestay on 30' C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanirish View Post
I'm trying to raise a jib that came with this boat.The forestay on this 1975 sailboat looks like the luff of the jib slides up into it and I can raise the jib by pulling on the jib halyard. No hanks involved.

You mean a headsail foil like this: https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/c...il-Foils.html?

Note that the foil wraps around the forestay; it doesn’t replace the forestay. Your forestay is the same regardless of whether you use it all alone with hanks, mount a headsail foil on it (as it seems you’ve got), or mount a furling system that has its own foil.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 21:16   #3

Boat: Ontario 32

Is the forestay an oval-shaped, solid aluminum, one-piece extrusion with swivels at the top and bottom? A luff groove in both the forward edge and the back edge? Does it have a casting, originally painted red, to provide a feed slot for the luff rope of the foresail? If so, it could be a 'Stearns Twinstay One'. Pictures would have been useful for determination.

Back in the mid-seventies, these were an installation option for perfomance-oriented purchasers of C&C boats. They were especially desired by racers because they allowed, for the first time ever, a second foresail to be hoisted before the first one was brought down, facilitating headsail changes without losing drive. Back in the mid-seventies I crewed on a C&C 33 Mk1 which was equipped with such a forestay. Three years ago, I purchased a 1975 Ontario 32 (a C&C design) which was also equipped with a Stearns Twinstay, albeit one which had been upgraded to furling capability. It was the first time that I had encountered such a forestay since the late seventies.

The downside to these Stearns forestays is that the strength and integrity of your forestay is dependent on the bearings in the swivels, which need to be replaced periodically and have become difficult to source parts for. I believe that Rig-Rite may still be a viable source. I intend to replace my forestay in a couple of years when my current genoa has worn out from UV exposure. If you think that your unit may be a Stearns Twinstay, you can PM me for a copy of the manual.
Old 17-06-2023, 01:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Is the forestay an oval-shaped, solid aluminum, one-piece extrusion with swivels at the top and bottom? A luff groove in both the forward edge and the back edge? Does it have a casting, originally painted red, to provide a feed slot for the luff rope of the foresail? If so, it could be a 'Stearns Twinstay One'...
... If you think that your unit may be a Stearns Twinstay, you can PM me for a copy of the manual.
Rig-Rite, on the Stearns Twinstay One / Dynafurl One
https://www.rigrite.com/furling/stearn/stearn.php

https://www.rigrite.com/furling/stearn/12_pricing.php

https://www.rigrite.com/furling/stea...cing_Short.php

You might, also, be interested in the “C&C Photo Album & Resource Center”
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

Including the ‘Hyde Streamstay One’:
Hyde Streamstay One

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 06:36   #5

Quote:
Is the forestay an oval-shaped, solid aluminum, one-piece extrusion with swivels at the top and bottom? A luff groove in both the forward edge and the back edge? Does it have a casting, originally painted red, to provide a feed slot for the luff rope of the foresail? If so, it could be a 'Stearns Twinstay One'. Pictures would have been useful for determination.

Back in the mid-seventies, these were an installation option for perfomance-oriented purchasers of C&C boats. They were especially desired by racers because they allowed, for the first time ever, a second foresail to be hoisted before the first one was brought down, facilitating headsail changes without losing drive. Back in the mid-seventies I crewed on a C&C 33 Mk1 which was equipped with such a forestay. Three years ago, I purchased a 1975 Ontario 32 (a C&C design) which was also equipped with a Stearns Twinstay, albeit one which had been upgraded to furling capability. It was the first time that I had encountered such a forestay since the late seventies.

The downside to these Stearns forestays is that the strength and integrity of your forestay is dependent on the bearings in the swivels, which need to be replaced periodically and have become difficult to source parts for. I believe that Rig-Rite may still be a viable source. I intend to replace my forestay in a couple of years when my current genoa has worn out from UV exposure. If you think that your unit may be a Stearns Twinstay, you can PM me for a copy of the manual.
PerfectPirate, Thanks for the info and yes, I believe it is a Stearns Twinstay One. I've included a few pictures. I'm planning to get parts for this; looks like I need a swivel, drum? etc. Would appreciate a copy of the manual. Irish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	277023   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	277024  

Old 20-06-2023, 07:23   #6

Hey there Irish,

The only manual which I have been able to find is a copy of the material on the Rig-Rite site, which Gord May has already posted links to. There was also some additional info in a discussion on the Sailing Anarchy site. Scroll down to the end of the discussion thread for some interesting background info on the history of the Twinstay.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...ad-foil.97160/

Old 20-06-2023, 07:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanirish View Post

Good replies so far I suggest you look around at the other boats. Talk to your boat neighbors. What you have is common and almost anybody with a boat can walk you through it.

You have a foil. Jibs designed for it can be hoisted by sliding the bolt at the leading edge into your opening at the base of the foil. Sometimes there are two tracks in the foil so that two sails can be run downwind to port and starboard or you can raise a sail in the second track and then pull down the other sail. Racers do this so that the loose minimal speed during sail changes.

The next step up from this is that the foil is mounted in bearings top and bottom and equipped with a drum to wind the sail around the foil.

Meet your neighbors!
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 12:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Good replies so far I suggest you look around at the other boats. Talk to your boat neighbors. What you have is common and almost anybody with a boat can walk you through it.

You have a foil. Jibs designed for it can be hoisted by sliding the bolt at the leading edge into your opening at the base of the foil. Sometimes there are two tracks in the foil so that two sails can be run downwind to port and starboard or you can raise a sail in the second track and then pull down the other sail. Racers do this so that the loose minimal speed during sail changes.

The next step up from this is that the foil is mounted in bearings top and bottom and equipped with a drum to wind the sail around the foil.

Meet your neighbors!
Good advice. Thanks!
Old 20-06-2023, 12:33   #9

Quote:
Hey there Irish,

The only manual which I have been able to find is a copy of the material on the Rig-Rite site, which Gord May has already posted links to. There was also some additional info in a discussion on the Sailing Anarchy site. Scroll down to the end of the discussion thread for some interesting background info on the history of the Twinstay.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...ad-foil.97160/

Ok I was thinking that might be the manual. Want to give this a shot before I pay big bucks for newer furler. Appreciate the links...
Old 20-06-2023, 13:25   #10

If it's cruddy/salty, flush the foil out with fresh water if the sail doesn't slide well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 06:48   #11

Quick question about C & C. I love this boat,but am curious has anyone had issues with water penetration, blisters or warping b/c it’s balsa cored above the waterline? Happy sailing!
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 07:52   #12

A C&C 30 Mk 1 does not have balsa core in the hull, only the deck. The hull of the Mark 1 is solid fiberglass, from the keel stub up to the toerail. The deck, however, is balsa cored.

Water penetration of the balsa core in the deck is possible, but it usually begins where holes have been drilled through the deck to mount hardware. Any failure of the sealant around the mounting will allow water to penetrate and the slow, inevitable process of core rot begins. On older C&C's, this would often happen around the stanchion bases, which get flexed a lot. This is why I have always made it a habit to "drill and fill". That is, you drill the hole in the top surface of the deck to be larger than is needed for the fastener, dig out the balsa core under and around that opening, then fill it with a plug of solid, thickened epoxy. Once the epoxy has cured, you then drill a hole appropriate to the fastener through the middle of the epoxy plug. It's a lot of tedious work, but in the twenty years since I started the practice I have never had a problem with water penetration of my core, despite hard usage from racing. I also seal all of my deck hardware with Butyl tape, like the grey stuff in the hull-deck joint of your C&C. Over forty years of boat ownership, I have tried virtually every new wonder sealant that hit the market. Every single one of them would fail and leak after a few years of exposure to UV, as well as normal wear and tear. Anything which I have sealed with Butyl tape has never leaked. If for any reason the seal gets broken, the butyl reseals itself as soon as it gets warm and can flow a bit. That is why C&C, and other Canadian builders, used it to seal their hull-deck joints.
Old 16-07-2023, 08:39   #13

Thanks for the tip on Butyl tape. I had never heard of it before.
Is the C & C 32 and/or C & C 34 a fiberglass from the hull to the toe rail? Is the tartan the same?
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 08:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the “C&C Photo Album & Resource Center”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 09:25   #15

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See the “C&C Photo Album & Resource Center”
That site doesn't even have the Redwing! I am miffed!