Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 21:55   #16

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hi mark-- saw ye in leaky teaky too-- goood on ye-- many folks with our kindsa boats--please can we see pix of her??!!
There are some under my profile.

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 22:02   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
beautiful boat!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 23:22   #18

Thanks
Old 22-01-2011, 00:24   #19
cruiser

bow heavy, stern bouyant.could hear the prop?

good source of info on this thread,,got my first blue-water experiance sailing 51 garden,,roomy liveabord but more motorsailer than true sailbot,,when sailing in moderate winds the mizzen would override the rudder and dowmwind runs would submarine the bow underwater and the bow would not come up fasr enough for my liking,,we often ran little sail if rougher conditions,,pilothouse model with dual steering stations would make great colder climes motorsailer but i would not buy one of these designs for any serious rough water sailing use,,met anoyjer sailor in85 who almost sank one by not keeping deck skylights closed while underway when his ct submrined into wave coming down,,said the water was over his batteries before he got things watertight,,these boats are a continuous sand/varnish project as well as older models have rotting deck beam issues that are hard to repair,,i would only acqiure one to flip for profit but have found many in new zealand area that appear in good comdition,,most in humid areas like florida are allreadt in the boneyard,,domt seem to hold value except prthaps vancouver ca,,definetly not easy to sell as a moody or swan but nice to live on
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:50   #20

Angelique

Nice new decks (Glass)

135hp turbo charged John Deere 380 hours burns 1.5 gph at cruise 1700rpm

All the old windows replaced on coach roof. & nice new masts
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:31   #21

angelique is awesome-- too many folks who dont appreciate the ese of repair or ar e not aware of the fact you HAVE to load these boats properly to have bouyancy in bows. just because there are some loaded wrong doesnt mean the design suxx. i think folks who havent the appreciation for these boats should perhaps keep their attacks against our boats to a minimum. this is a good medium fo rdiscussion of that which these boats have as idiosynchrasies -- many boats donot have the ease of access to things in need of repair as do these.
pullord-- these are classic lined boats. hearing prop is not a problem. not loading the boat in a proper manner attending to the needs of a clipper bow is something the owner learns while owning these boats. should learn before, but many dont. also these do not face into seas-- must angle into them, as is appropriate for any boat. beating a boat to death is not the way to sail.
as for sanding and varnishing-- LOL-- who uses varnish? i donot use cetol either. my formosa 41 is oiled wood. once per year i spend 6 hours, total on my brightwork.. ROFL. so much time spent on my wood!!!!!!!! wow-- what other sad complaints are being voiced against our babies???? we love our boats. they have very very endearing properties and induce passion. they are easy to fix. they are magnificent sailing with all sails up and a bone in their teeth. magnificent and impressive as hell.
so--please, when you enter this area, wherein the discussions on these boats occurs, please remove your shoes and have some respect.
thankyou.
Old 22-01-2011, 09:06   #22
cruiser

looking like new

great refit/reno job,,did you bother replacing fuel tanks as ours would regularly clog the filters with rust sediment{steel type},,we put in double filter system as quick fix after engine stalled in crowded marina in usvirgin islands,,we just dropped anchor fast but it was hassle,,afterwards we bought filters by the case and changed them monthly as precaution against unexpected engine failure due to clogged filters from rust,,i always liked the lines of these hulls as many stilldo but we went to a different design with glass decks and modern features allready in place,,perhaps i did not explain properly as it was when large seas were coming up behind us that the rudder/prop would actually come out of the water,,this happened on several occasions in 15-20 ft waves,,if we ran the mizzen the wind from the stern would have enough force to overpower the rudder and push the stern to port /starboard qiuckly sometimes resulting in the hull on her beam ends{sideways} in the troughs thus we learned fast to use little rear{mizzen},,as for sailing into the wind you must be kidding as these hull designs do not sail well into the wind{only motor}..anyhow it is a forum and we had no weight in the empty v-berth,,i only can hope you learn from us rednecks that push boats to the limit so you dont sink yours,,it is well known as single-hander i met sailing Outer Marker told me of similiar problems with his 41 ketch which he had taken delivery of in formosa factory and sailed to eastcoast usa,,yes they are beautiful looking boats but ours had alot of woodwork and we moved on to glass decks and safer rough water hull designs,,the truth is the truth,call a diamond a diamond,,i got to get some work done now so i can get back to swamping sailboats later
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:47   #23

Angelique has had probably a good $120,000 spent on her refit. Masts alone were in the neighborhood of $25,000. She has new fuel tanks aprox 300 gallons in 4 tanks (aluminum powder coated) She has new stainless steel water tanks (4) for a total of 400 gallons. She has been re wire both AC (2 30 amp shore power systems) and New DC. She has a 5 KW Northern Lights gen set. 128 hours. She has a new Kabola B Tap heater with six heat exchangers 3 heat above floor and 3 below. New nave gear with all the bells and wistles. 36 mile radar. New windlass and soon to have new sails. Full batten. There is a lot more but to long to write about.
Your right about off color remarks that are made about our boats and Im afraid I have gone after a few who post wrong info. I am very proud and very defensive of my boat. Sailing such a big boat and her design in particular is and experiance. The ideosycracies of the model are something you learn by doing not by talking of reading others info. They say hard to tac but not so. You just need to learn. Leak prone well yes but these boats are 30 to 40 years old. Fix them up and they are unbelevable. I feel fortunate to own Angelique. Rework costs a lot but hey it's my home. Have you ever lived in a home in a rain area without replacing the roof. Lets appreciate them for what they are.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:33   #24
cruiser

Jack:
Spike is fine and getting married at the Perry Rendezvous this year.

Great post on the history of Hardin. I eventually became good friends with the Huang family who ended up owning the Hardin yard.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 01:36   #25

Hey Jack,

I agree she looks pretty and you should be proud. I also agree with you and Zeehag that a lot of people condemn our boat designs but when they do they always say a friend sailed one like it. Sort of makes you wonder on their own experience level if they believe a friend said this did they also believe the fish story he told!

Anyway I too get defensive when people say my boat is not a bluewater boat. I have crossed two oceans and getting ready to do the crossing from Japan to Alaska. I think that is a bit more than those who live in Florida and think a Gulf Stream crossing is really really hard!

Cheers

Mark
Old 23-01-2011, 07:00   #26

Boat: Orca 38
William Garden, Bob Perry, Angelique and Zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Boy, I'd take that list of Garden designs with a grain of salt. I'm not sure Bill would take credit for some of those boats.
Angelique is downright beautiful. Zeehag, you tell em! One's mishandling of a boat or lack of experience in loading does not a bad design make.

Wa Wa, but I'd have to maintain a boat like that. Well DUH!

Mr. Perry, thanks for your continued input to the sailing community. I know I and quite a few more find your experience and willingness to share your knowledge an invaluable resource. Thank you!

Now, can anyone tell me about Rukh? She's supposedly a 40' Gulf of William Garden design. The story as it was told to me is that a wooden (choey lee) Gulf was brought to Seattle and used as a plug to create a composite build FG hulled cutter.

I can find nothing to confirm or deny this. Does anyone know anything about these boats?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39801-albums1324-picture8315.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	23034  
Strait Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:18   #27

she is a beauty, even if not having a clipper bow.....wish i did know.... is a sweet boat..
our leaky teakies have been doing long passages sine they were born-- 970?? thereabouts--longer than some of these kids have been sailing..LOL..--is what their impressive tankage is for--lol-- and have been prone to a coupla leaks in decking which spawned their nickname, but those panning us , i truly believe, are envious of these easily repaired long range boats. we even named our yahoo group ourselves--leaky teaky yacht club...lol....goood boats with goooo dfolks. and if these arent blue water boats-- what color do we sail--is it pink???? chartreuse??? rofl-- cobalt blue and beyond---i have found very few alleged blue water boats built as strong as these are-- mebbe yourkown, if ye watched hank lay it up--mine was 27 hand laid layers of roving, then came his heart attack and byass surgery causing his move to oregon--- he was 78 when i last saw him-- was just after he built the hull and deck for a 42 i had commissioned. damned ugly but bulletproof boat..LOL. makes me appreciate the formosa a realllll lot....

i figger if someone denies these boats their blue water capabilities, i just laugh hard as i can and walk away.....doesnt hurt to snort and gag also..LOL
Old 23-01-2011, 10:25   #28
cruiser

Shooter:

Thanks for the kind words.

I know those Gulf boats well and I used to race against them in the 60's. They were a bit on the slow side. I have never heard the story about a prototype being built by Cheoy Lee but it's possible. Why don't you pick up your phone and call Bill.
Old 24-01-2011, 07:06   #29

Boat: Orca 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Shooter:

Thanks for the kind words.

I know those Gulf boats well and I used to race against them in the 60's. They were a bit on the slow side. I have never heard the story about a prototype being built by Cheoy Lee but it's possible. Why don't you pick up your phone and call Bill.
"pick up the phone and call Bill"!
You guys are freaking awesome. I'll do it.

Compared to your designs, I'm sure she was "on the slow side". Thank you for the input (this what you do when Bob Perry calls your boat slow, you thank him).

If you don't mind me asking, what were you sailing when you raced them?

Again, many thanks for your continued input.
Strait Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 13:54   #30
cruiser

Shooter:
That was back in the days when one of the boats that raced regularily was a Garden steel gaff headed shooner! So "slow" can be subjective.

That owner did my herbnia operation when I was 16. Dr. Lasher was his name and his boat was SEQUIN.

I used to race on Buchan 40's , Buchan 37's and on an older Ben seaborn design called WE'RE HERE. I raced with Bill Garden on OCEANUS lots of times. Plus I raced on just about every one design dinghy class there was. If there was a race I was there on the dock "He mister do you need a crew?" I always got a ride and I think I always got invited back.

But today I look at those huge French tri's doing 40 knots and I think to myself, "Damn I wish I could do that." I'm 64, it ain't gonna happen.

I always loved the lines of the Gulf 40.

Tags
formosa