Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sea-rat, a lot depends on your budget. "Real" marine-sourced GoreTex foulies are going to cost a bloody fortune, easily $600 or more. Personally, I love GoreTex, but I started sailing (OK, not mid-Atlantic!) with a set of cheap foulies and after being cold and wet, soaking wet, once too often I went out and bought a top set of Henry-Lloyd foulies (bib pants and a float coat with chest harness) that fortunately were being cleared out on sale with a new line being introduced. Even then it hurt, and I said to myself at least I only have to buy them once.

These days I'm more likely to wear the GoreTex I bought from "camping" sources like REI and Sierra Trading Post. GT comes with different warranties and if you buy it, you want the "Extreme Wet Weather" top grade, with sealed seams, or it is worthless in a downpour. (Or storm at sea.) You can buy recreational GoreTex at a fraction of the marine price, typically $50-150 each for the pants and jacket if you buy them on sale. You won't get the same bright colors--which is a real safety issue if you go overboard, but then again, your PFD should be bright anyway. And you won't get the same waterproofing (good collar, iner wrist seals, etc.) unless you shop carefully. But there are some great bargains to be had there.

And fwiw my GoreTex works just fine in humid weather, as long as you are warmer inside the vapor pressure still pushes the moisture out. You'll still be hotter and more humid than you would be in cool dry wx...but I save the real foulies for real nasty wx, the GoreTex beats "plastic" every time in anything less. Particularly in hot humid summer weather.

If someone doesn't like the fact that my winter-weight foul pants are RealTree Camo pattern, I just tell 'em I'm duck hunting, do they want to see the shotgun or have fresh duck for dinner? At $50 instead of $200+, I can deal with it.

If your butt is warm and dry--you'll enjoy sailing. So by all means, get the best foulies your budget allows, however you do it. Start from the skin out--with polypropylene or other "wicking" underwear, even if that is only jockey shorts. Poly is about the only way to keep your skin dry--and that's important. Wool and silk also stay warm when dry, but they don't "wick" the moisture from your skin like poly does. Same thing with your pants and top, avoid cotton like the plague.

Any good camping supply can tell you about keeping warm and dry, and dress you from the skin to the final layer. What you choose for that final layer...you already have the options for. By all means if you can, TRY IT ON, don't just mail-order it. There is a huge difference in hoods and collars and how they fit and keep you dry. Worth way more than the premium you may have to pay to try it on and buy it locally.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For really foul weather (even in the tropics) I like my Mustang Floaters, both jacket &
Suit.
Product Catalog :: Mustang Survival

Jackets: Mustang Survival Flotation Coats
Suits: Products :: Work Suits

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:56   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Make sure you get breathable - I used heavy non-breathable (Musto offshore) for years, and recently got a set of breathable (Musto again), and I am just amazed at how much more comfortable I am.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 22:51   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
Best foul weather gear is a pilot house. Second best is wool.

seer
On that note...Lee cloths around the lifelines of the cockpit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 15:29   #20

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Take a look at these product -

Grundens - Quality Foulweather Gear

No hipe, just real work foul weather cloths.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 18:18   #21

Boat: Norseman 447
I love my " Nauticat" when it rains I just close the door, when it gets cold I turn the heater on, after 20 years commercial fishing I've been wet cold and miserable enough to know its not Fun
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 18:35   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Nauticat - Do you have a website or a pointer to a Nauticat owners site. Your boat is definitely on my short list and I would love to lurk around with some owners.

Sorry for the brief hijack...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 20:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nauticat - Do you have a website or a pointer to a Nauticat owners site. Your boat is definitely on my short list and I would love to lurk around with some owners.

Sorry for the brief hijack...
There is a very active owners group on Yahoo
nauticat : Nauticat yacht owners and admirers
and also try
NauticatUSA
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Thanks - Duly bookmarked...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
I love my " Nauticat" when it rains I just close the door, when it gets cold I turn the heater on, after 20 years commercial fishing I've been wet cold and miserable enough to know its not Fun

Hehehe, People that haven't sailed Pilot House boats before don't know what they're missing. But for any of you on the west coast currently, you can do a *test* run today . Find someone with a pickup and go sit in the bed in your foul weather gear while he drives you around for a few hours in that little squall you're having When that ceases to be fun, have him stop by the local doughnut shop grab some coffee and couple of jelly filled, then get in the cab, turn on the radio and the heater and see if you like it a little better heheheh.

Worst part is, its actually a pretty fair comparison.

really

seer

btw, it was a sail on Nauticat (I think a 43) in a drizzle that converted me in a hurry. NICE boats and worth every penny.
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Ever notice how the really expensive foul weather gear is pretty much the same as the moderately priced gear? That tells me something right there. West Marine is just as good as the "Ralph Lauren" brands.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:38   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
Hehehe, People that haven't sailed Pilot House boats before don't know what they're missing. But for any of you on the west coast currently, you can do a *test* run today . Find someone with a pickup and go sit in the bed in your foul weather gear while he drives you around for a few hours in that little squall you're having When that ceases to be fun, have him stop by the local doughnut shop grab some coffee and couple of jelly filled, then get in the cab, turn on the radio and the heater and see if you like it a little better heheheh.

Worst part is, its actually a pretty fair comparison.

really

seer

btw, it was a sail on Nauticat (I think a 43) in a drizzle that converted me in a hurry. NICE boats and worth every penny.

I like the analagy but don't forget that you will have to get out of the pilothouse at some point so when you are finished with the jelly donut and still driving around have your friend throw the latch on the hood and then crawl out the cab window and raise the hood and then check the oil and put the hood back down. You'll probably want some foul weather gear for that.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I like the analagy but don't forget that you will have to get out of the pilothouse at some point so when you are finished with the jelly donut and still driving around have your friend throw the latch on the hood and then crawl out the cab window and raise the hood and then check the oil and put the hood back down. You'll probably want some foul weather gear for that.
Yes but as it will be only for a short time I will be able to get buy with cheap gear as opposed to living in it for days on end
Old 08-01-2008, 14:38   #29

hey everybody, I just purchased my foul weather gear from West Marine: Home Page . I got the GILL Key West offshore jacket and its corresponding bibs. I figure I dont want the hugely expensive step up, the atlantic, because its just kind of too much. Anyways, that said, Im kind of in a bind about what boots to buy. I dont know of any popular boots you all buy, so any suggestions would be great. I dont want a pair of huge rubber beasts, just something that will go well with my gear and that will be adequate for my trans-atlantic trip.
sea-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 14:58   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-rat View Post
what boots to buy.
I have always had Burke sea boots cos they are cheaper! About $40. But I think they are only Australian. Burke Seaboots
I notice on your Westmarine site theres some Gill boots for $49 US. Have a look at them.

I've always thought those boots that are a few hundred dollars are a joke... Now I find theres a pair for $450!!!!! Dubarry Fastnet Offshore Boot You'd look so pretty walking into the yacht club with those on! LOL

I reckon the $49 ones and if you want to splash out get 2 pairs then one set can dry while you wear the other and a few pairs of nice thick woolen socks

Toasty tootsies!!!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear