Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 23:17   #1
Nyx

Boat: Santana 525
Freedom 24

Hello, I have recently been looking into Freedom Yachts and found an ad for a 1995 Freedom 24. It has its original trailer, a newer Suzuki outboard, all new Haarstick Pentax sails in 2008 (main, jib, and spinnaker) as well as the old ones. The boat looks to be in good shape and is well within my price limit. It has all the features I want for my next boat (lifting keel, roomy cockpit, a bit of space down below, small galley, flushing head, etc). I've read enough forums to know that Freedoms have their fair share of haters. I've never spoken to anyone who's sailed one before but I have come across boats with free-standing masts and have sailed on a Nonsuch 26 at my local marina. Freedoms don't tend to be as competitive as some others but that is not really a concern. It looks like it would be fairly easy to single hand with the self-tacker on a furler. The large main might take a bit to get up though. Anyways, any advice is appreciated.
Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 04:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Freedom 24

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nyx.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 08:44   #3

It seems obvious to me. Has the features you want
and its in your price range. I vote for take it out and see if you like it. If it sails like you want, buy it. If not keep looking.

Bill
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:14   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome, Nyx! I've never sailed an F24 but I have had my 1988 F38 for 4.5 years now and couldn't be more pleased with it. I also race and if the wind is above 12 knots, I'm more than competitive with lighter and smaller boats. I'm sure there must be some Freedom owners who didn't like their boats, but I've not heard of them or met them yet. That's not to say these niche boats are for everyone. So just decide if it's right for you. All the best
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote