Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 21:55   #1

Boat: Saving up for my first boat
Freshwater boat in the ocean??

Is it sensible to buy a boat that has spent it's life in freshwater, if your plan is to cruise in the ocean?

On a gut level that strikes me as a bad idea, but I'm a complete newbie so what do I know. Looking for my first boat...

I live in Dallas, several good-size lakes nearby, and a friend said, "Why aren't you shopping around the nearby lakes?" and I couldn't think of a good reason.

Does it make sense or completely dumb?
Jamesiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 03:24   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Freshwater boat in the ocean??

Freshwater boats are typically the best deals. Their season is shorter, they don’t suffer from corrosion....etc.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 05:14   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

You may have to switch your anodes, as Magnesium is recommended for fresh, and zinc for salt water(verify what you might have come purchase time)...other than that...nothing comes to mind. Fresh water boats are generally have less corrosion..
Old 20-12-2020, 21:47   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Freshwater boats generally have less corrosion. I am curious why your gut reaction was that it was a bad idea? What were you concerned about?

Welcome aboard by the way!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 22:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Freshwater boats generally have less corrosion. I am curious why your gut reaction was that it was a bad idea? What were you concerned about?

Welcome aboard by the way!
Hi Don. I'm not sure why, except for things like the anodes. It seems to me that saltwater is a lot harsher on a boat, so a boat built for saltwater would be much stronger against corrosion, for example.
Old 20-12-2020, 22:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
Hi Don. I'm not sure why, except for things like the anodes. It seems to me that saltwater is a lot harsher on a boat, so a boat built for saltwater would be much stronger against corrosion, for example.
OH, I see. Well, other than zincs, boats aren't really built for salt or fresh water specifically as far as I know (I think all builders assume their boats will be used in both,) but boats that are intended for only lake or calm coastal sailing are generally not as robust or stout in their construction IMO. I have seen many boats that are definitely "bluewater boats" on lakes and vice versa. My own stout little 24' gave me a lot of fun miles in ocean conditions and she is now living out her retirement out on Flathead Lake in Montana. If you find a good boat on a lake it is likely in considerably better shape than an ocean dwelling sibling.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-12-2020, 22:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OH, I see. Well, other than zincs, boats aren't really built for salt or fresh water specifically as far as I know (I think all builders assume their boats will be used in both,) but boats that are intended for only lake or calm coastal sailing are generally not as robust or stout in their construction IMO. I have seen many boats that are definitely "bluewater boats" on lakes and vice versa. My own stout little 24' gave me a lot of fun miles in ocean conditions and she is now living out her retirement out on Flathead Lake in Montana. If you find a good boat on a lake it is likely in considerably better shape than an ocean dwelling sibling.
That's very good to know and thanks for your input. I'm going to widen my search to include area lakes.
Old 20-12-2020, 22:37   #8

If you let us know which makes and models catch your eye you can report back here and there are many folks who can give you helpful tips and reviews.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-12-2020, 23:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
You may have to switch your anodes, as Magnesium is recommended for fresh, and zinc for salt water(verify what you might have come purchase time)...other than that...nothing comes to mind. Fresh water boats are generally have less corrosion..
Or aluminum.

I have a set of Al incase I end up in brackish or going through locks for any decent amount of time.

Salt water ops eats the Al up faster if you don’t swap back
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 00:21   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
Is it sensible to buy a boat that has spent it's life in freshwater, if your plan is to cruise in the ocean?

On a gut level that strikes me as a bad idea, but I'm a complete newbie so what do I know. Looking for my first boat...

I live in Dallas, several good-size lakes nearby, and a friend said, "Why aren't you shopping around the nearby lakes?" and I couldn't think of a good reason.

Does it make sense or completely dumb?

If it's a wooden boat a salt water boat is much better as wood rots in freshwater but I guess a woody is not what you are talking about.

I wouldnt recommend a wooden boat unless you like work better than sailing but they do have their beauty no doubt.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 03:10   #11

Need to differentiate between hull and engine. Some hulls on small fishing boats are marketed as salt-water, but that's because of higher bow and heavier scantlings due to anticipated grounds. Contrast with low, sleek bass boats made to do 60 mph in shallow, protected water.

But engines do differ, especially the exhaust system. OP makes no mention of the type or size of boat he's looking at. If he's looking at taking an I/O runabout into saltwater, well , saltwater is not kind to outdrives (term Alka Seltzer fizz comes to mind). Exhaust risers and mixing elbows or commonly cast iron on freshwater engines vs stainless steel on saltwater versions. Also, many outboard manufacturers make saltwater versions of certain engines that presumably have stainless steel fasteners and such.

Bottom line: fiberglass/gelcoat's arch enemy is sunlight. It doesn't really care whether it's in salt or fresh water. Metal or wood is a different story. Engines are definitely a different story.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 03:55   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Salt water ops eats the Al up faster if you don’t swap back
Well, that’s not true.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 03:57   #13

Boat: Hunter 340

I bought a fresh water boat with the intention of taking it to the Bahamas. There were two changes I needed to make 1) Exchange the magnesium anode for a zinc one. 2) Strip off the VC-17 bottom paint and replace it with Sea Hawk bottom paint. Check the bottom paint is ok for use in salt water!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 04:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I bought a fresh water boat with the intention of taking it to the Bahamas. There were two changes I needed to make 1) Exchange the magnesium anode for a zinc one. 2) Strip off the VC-17 bottom paint and replace it with Sea Hawk bottom paint. Check the bottom paint is ok for use in salt water!
Good points. Thanks!
Old 21-12-2020, 05:36   #15

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Freshwater boats probably won't have many offshore accessories that may be included with a boat that is on the coast.

Tags
boat, water