Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 09:45   #16

Boat: Hunter 30 G
Re: Frustrated Seller - Tartan 37

I think it is a very nice looking boat, and the price seems more than fair. I was suprised at how small the galley is. Is there a quarter birth?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:59   #17

Hi and sorry to hear of the troubles selling her. I love Tartans! My first sail was on one...

In addition to the other replies, one thing that jumps out to me is the standing rigging. If I read the listing correctly, it is at least 10 years old so a potential big cost that if that concern could be dispelled, might keep someone from looking at the next listing. On a personal level, at the 37 ft length, I'd be more interested in a steering wheel than a tiller. That's just me though.

Best of luck!
fe2o3yyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The link you gave for Brewer's worked for me, but looking at the listing information, the draft doesn't match what it should be for a full keel. Sailboatdata,com describes the Tartan 37 as having fixed keels and swing keels. As others have mentioned, more details about fuel and water capacity, number of berths, etc.

I think that's a fair price for your boat, but as others have suggested, a better listing, correct and specific data about the keel and more photos might help. There are just too many used boats out there and not enough young sailors.

A few more photos might help as well. It is barely clear that the vessel is tiller steered, which is actually a good thing, but not really shown in the photos. A photo from the stern looking forward might help.

Is there no refrigeration? No stove or oven? Didn't see one. Well, after my third pass through the photos, I saw the knobs of the oven, but please remove the cover from the stove, so it can be seen.

I agree that listing a boat with only one broker makes dependency on how motivated the broker is. Brewer offers many more expensive boats, hence larger commissions for the broker.

Your boat does look really sweet for an old gal and well maintained. I sail a 1973 Pearson 36-1 that I have been renovating over the past 12 years and I really appreciate the over-construction techniques from the "old days". Couldn't give me a brand new Bavaria, I wouldn't take it.

Here in Europe, I am hearing that used boat sales are up due to Covid. People can't travel to foreign destinations, so sailing in home waters is a relief.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:28   #19

I was in boat sales for a considerable time and the office help told us that "we were gonna have to kiss a lot of frogs" to get our sales completed. You might have to do that .. also.

Sales people also say that your 1st offer is often your best. I know.. I know.. hard to take so little but that would have done it and not have it continuing to eat-you-up.

I was offered a sistership to REVERIE about 10 years ago that was a neglected and horrible mess and I truly came around to thinking I would only invest in her or a boat like her was if I was PAID to take-it-away. It started as a discussion of a "possible gift" -- but then the owner wanted money. TILT.

Your boat appears a lot LOT better than that one.

However, can you think of having the brokerage ad discuss in your ad large survey items like deck and deck joint and mast and rigging ? I'd sure want to know lots more about all of that and that makes me think you might invest in a quality survey to have that as a "sales tool" if it is a boast.. I'd say get the truth and that will go a long way.

A possible co-owner pal and I looked very hard recently at a similarly aged boat that had an ask of just over $10k but it needed a great many things. We estimated it needed at least $80k to $100k more and lots of down-time in the re-fit.

We went ahead an chartered a boat instead.

STILL LOOKIN' and best of LUCK !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:35   #20

Boat: Hunter 34

Awesome boat! Not the best photos of the hull (wrong time of day for lighting). If it was a year from now I would be looking at this boat!!! It's in a price range low enough that some potential buyers would go with liability only insurance to meet marina requirements so I don't think boat age is the issue. it appears much work has been done to it. I am guessing it's not being seen by many shoppers. Get it listed on Yachtworld, boattrader, or sailboatlistings.com and you will get interested buyers. It also should have "bluewater boat" in the description. I'd also include a link to https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...less-tartan-37. Maybe include floorplan https://www.practical-sailor.com/wp-...tartan37-5.jpg Any NAV equipment? Battery/inverter? Any photos with sails up? (I hate seeing boat listing of sailboat without at least one photo of it sailing) Good luck!
Topanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:41   #21

Boat: Sabre 402

Though they know the Tartan name, people are not familiar with this design - they know the S&S designed T37-2CB, which are very popular. When they see it is not what they expect from the name, it turns them off. It's also worth noting that though it's called a Tartan 37, it was actually built by Douglass-McLeod. This is also confusing and turns people off. Including a line drawing in the listing, showing the profiles, would help. Finding one involves looking up "Tartan 37 Classic", and learning that it is actually a version of the Ted Hood "Black Watch" design. THAT might be a good selling point, but no one knows this unless you tell them. People are complaining about the scarcity of good used boats now available because everyone is going out to buy a boat and cruise off in their Covid pod. Your asking price doesn't seem too high, though the broker can help tell potential buyers how negotiable you might be. The broker could also be an issue. He's probably a nice guy, but his profile talks a lot about his links to Mercury outboards, marine electronics, waterskiing and fishing, but not a sailing focus. Many of his listings are for pricey powerboats. How much effort is he going to put into a "priced to sell" sailboat? A hungrier agent might do more for you. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/black-watch-37
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:46   #22

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:09   #23

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Pretty boat and know the frustrations in selling one. Would think about listing her on FSBO sites, sailboatlistings, boat trader, etc. Get rid of broker...its been 2 yrs...But then be prepared to show your boat to anyone at about anytime. I even took a couple sailing & they never came back/returned my calls. I would have said she is not over-priced, but on the mkt x 2 yrs, especially with last yr's "heated up" mkt secondary to Covid19 and not having a number of folks looking at her makes me think otherwise. Maybe reduce Spring price by cost of winter storage? The next few months (april/may/june) are when you really need to sell her as Spring here in New England will have us all launching our boats and others buying for the season. Agree with much previously said...would also expose teak sole completely so remove carpet, can leave the rug. A couple more detailed pics; up close on VHF, chartplotter, looking into ice box..Would include a picture or 2 of her under sail, flying gennaker? good luck to you...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:58   #24

A friend had an old Catalina 30ft he sold on BoatTrader.com last year for a good price. He kept it in good condition. He avoided listing with a broker - his thinking was doing so on an old boat (read: low cost/low commission) here in S/W Florida wasn't going to get him much brokerage action. Hope this is helpful and best of luck.
Jack50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:06   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A boat is worth what someone is willing to pay. Did you counter the 16k offer at say 19.5? Just look at my if the insurance threads, a boat that old is nearly impossible to insure even for liability in most southern cruising areas. What’s it cost to store for another 2 years waiting for someone to eventually pay you maybe 22k?
Old 12-02-2021, 12:22   #26

Boat: Mirage 33

There are more old boats than there are people who want old boats. With a very very few exceptions money spent on a boat is not an investment it is entertainment expenses. I have bought and sold on sailboatlistings.com in recent years you might want to try that.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles but honest opinion is that is too high of an asking price if you are not willing to sit on it for a few years. I think to the right person at the right time ~25k is very fair for your boat. If you want to sell a boat in February in Rhode Island (assuming link above is your boat) you might need to cut that in half.

The last boat I sold I had bought for 8k in 2008, spent 30k refitting it and sold it for 8k in 2011 ... My personal philosophy of old boat ownership is never spend more on an old boat than you are willing to spend as "vacation money" during the time you own it. But that is a hard pill to swallow

Also don't forget that credit is cheap now so many boat buyers are looking at new huntabenecatalinas who would previously have been looking at a good old boat.
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:07   #27

Boat: Bristol 31.1 , 31'

Thanks for the feedback. Engine replaced the original Atomic 4, so not 50 yrs old. Boat sleeps 4 and tank sizes are fine for coastal cruising -at least that's been our experience - burns less than 1 gal/hr.
taoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:10   #28

Boat: Bristol 31.1 , 31'

no 1/4 berth but lots more storage room as a result in lazzarette
taoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:17   #29

Boat: Hylas 54

Did you follow up with the 16K offer? If I wanted to buy a 24K boat I'd offer about 16K and hope to meet at 20K.

Lots of buyers start low, selling is a dialog, it's up to you to convince them your boat is worth what you are asking. Don't rely on your broker to do all the work. They don't know your boat like you do.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:29   #30

Boat: SS34

Lovely boat and in my country right now it would sell instantly! The covid 19 has had people buying up every decent yacht they can find.
I would suggest selling the boat privately instead of using a broker. The photos in the ad are OK but I always like to see some action shots, yachts actually sailing. Consider making a video incorporating some drone shots of the boat sailing. This seems to be the new norm with brokers here and is very effective.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote