Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 17:20   #46

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Frustrated Seller - Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Tiller is visible in the Brokers pictures.
Thanks. My point was didactic. I wanted to see an angle that gives me a feel for the helm. A shot from the stern would've helped.

My Wind Lass, that is a nice site.

Gets me thinking.

You know, for a photographer, one of the hardest things to shoot is the interior of a sailboat. Anyone selling a boat should consider getting someone who knows how to shoot cramped, crowded interiors. Or just look at manufacturers' sites and see how they do it.

Take a look at the interior shots in the gallery for this 2006 Beneteau 323.

https://www.bostonsailingcenter.com/...eteau-323-alex

Notice that the angles give you a sense of roominess. Notice that everything is spotless. That head/shower is shot in a way that makes it look sumptuous. Open port lights. Sunny day. Wide-angle lens.

One of the selling points of the smaller Beneteaux is surprising accommodations for a pocket pocket cruiser. These photos show that.

[DISCLAIMERS: I chose these photos because they are a good example of how to set up a shoot inside a boat, not because these photos are complete. I would not buy this boat based on this gallery. This boat is not for sale. Etc.]
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 18:12   #47

Seems like a helluva boat for that money. That is an old IOR design though isn't it? That detracts a bit for some.
It does take time to sell a boat, took me 1.5 years to sell a Hans Christian finally selling at 60% of normal value most brokers list them at.

There's a boat selling axiom: "the highest price you will get is the first offer" Not sure it's always true though. but...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 18:54   #48

Boat: Bristol 31.1 , 31'

have put too much in to donate and storage fees
thanks
taoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 21:49   #49

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We sold a boat in 2018, for asking price. My advice is to declutter. Remove all of your personal stuff. Our buyers were coming up with their own decorating ideas on first viewing. Its not much different than a house sale. You want buyers to envision themselves enjoying the boat, not seeing some elses shoes there!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 02:53   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoist View Post
Would appreciate any advice from those who have sold boats. I have a Ted Hood designed 1969 Tartan 37 (Classic series) that I spent 10 yrs, refitting. This is a really nice looking boat with many new parts and a Westerbeke 35 with only 297 hrs. Decided 2 years ago to downsize and put it on the market with a reputable broker, listed at $24,900. I know that there is a limited market for older boats but I'm surprised and disappointed that it hasn't sold. It can be viewed at www.breweryacht.com/profile/dmckenney. Reverie Tartan 37.
Any ideas regarding change in game plan? Lower price, etc.
ur asking way 2 much. I'd pay 2k tops.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 13:30   #51

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

If it's eating money, regardless of investment, drop the price. I know, I've got a 1972 Allied Chance 30-30, I will never get much out of her,and I've spent thousands, as many know, that's just how it works. Say you want $10,000. Pay $500 a month in incidentals, in 6 months, even if ya get $10,000, you got $7000. Offer her at best offer,and cut your losses,or sail her.
Quote:
Would appreciate any advice from those who have sold boats. I have a Ted Hood designed 1969 Tartan 37 (Classic series) that I spent 10 yrs, refitting. This is a really nice looking boat with many new parts and a Westerbeke 35 with only 297 hrs. Decided 2 years ago to downsize and put it on the market with a reputable broker, listed at $24,900. I know that there is a limited market for older boats but I'm surprised and disappointed that it hasn't sold. It can be viewed at www.breweryacht.com/profile/dmckenney. Reverie Tartan 37.
Any ideas regarding change in game plan? Lower price, etc.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 07:45   #52

Since I recently paid 2k for a new headsail, 1k for a windlass, and $800 for a new instrument panel (et.) I'm going to forego your generous offer.
Old 18-02-2021, 09:16   #53

Boat: Catalina 36

in reviewing your posting for the boat, the 2 major deterrents are CNG gas and a tiller. Both of these items are expensive to replace and will scare a lot of people off. Because of these 2 deficiencies, you will be forced to sell the boat at a lower price point in order to move it.
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 09:32   #54

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
have put too much in to donate and storage fees
thanks
It's absolutely not about what you've spent already - those are sunk costs. You can't recover them in any way, shape, or form - just like you can't recover the cost of the sails, or the windlass. It's about what costs in the future you can avoid.

You've gotten a lot of advice about how to improve the listing. If you really want to sell, the best way is to lower the price. If getting your asking price is the critical point to you, however much it costs you to hold onto the boat until that (maybe mythical) day, then don't lower the price.

Costs are not only monetary, but time and emotion. Choose the costs you're willing to pay.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
We sold our Catalina 28 a while ago. We handled the transaction ourselves without a broker and this is the general procedure.

We started by removing all of our personal and unnecessary items from the boat. We cleaned our already clean boat end to end. Every locker, cabinet, bilges, engine, everything was clean, uncluttered, it looked and smelled good. Every time I visited the boat, I made sure the boat was clean and orderly.

Take good photos showing the interior and exterior of the boat. Make sure the boat is not cluttered.

Make a detailed inventory of the boat gear. Consider a free web page, photos of the boat and happy people sailing. Inventory, list of upgrades, price, boat design details, independent reviews. Instead of listing boat items as “New” detail when they were installed. E.g. whatever engine, low hours, well maintained (sorry but your engine does not look new to me), standing rigging =date replaced. Be honest and transparent. People generally are pretty smart.

Price the boat realistically. No need to give the boat away, but think value when you determine the price. Also consider waiting 12 months to find the top price buyer may cause you to loose money on the overall transaction.

Protect yourself and the buyer during the transaction. Write up a sales agreement, use a title/escrow agency, be prudent, ect.

Place an add with photos in every free, boat classifieds, or forum. Make sure to link your web page. Place the add with photos in every Crags List in your area. The bulk of our responses were from Craigslist. Distance yourself from any questionable inquiries.

We had about 20 responses over the first 2 weeks. 6 people made appointments to view the boat. The boat sold after the first or second viewing.

Brokers generally do a good job representing your boat. They help ensure a smooth sale. For that they charge a fee. Going without a broker is more effort.

Good luck with your boat sale.
Pretty much what we did with our Catalina 42 when we sold it a few years ago. We just put it on Sailboat listings, but we stripped it of all our stuff, and junk, and polished until it shined (it almost made me not want to sell it, it looked so good).

We took a ton of pictures, more than the sales sight would accept, but we would email them more pictures, and the most recent survey to everyone who inquired. We had a buyer in six weeks.

When I showed it to buyers, we told them all about our two cruises to the Bahamas in it and that if it didn't sell in three months, we just going to take it and go again (which was our plan), and even showed them pictures of the boat anchored off deserted beaches. That helps people visualize it as something that can take them somewhere on a fun and interesting adventure, instead of just as a floating hunk of fiberglass.

They don't just sell themselves!
Old 18-02-2021, 10:13   #56

Thanks for the feedback. Many of the people who have looked at the boat have commented just the opposite. They like the safety feature of the CNG - I found that it's not that expensive, at least where I live, and it lasts forever and preference for the tiller (which I also prefer) over a wheel. So, I guess it's a matter of who you talk to.
Old 18-02-2021, 10:43   #57

Boat: Catalina 36

I noticed you are in Rhode Island where the east coast distributor of CNG (Corp Brothers) was located. I believe Corp Brothers has sold the company to AirGas which does not offer CNG tank exchanges anymore. If you do some searches for CNG on any of the sailing forums, you will find a lot of people trying to switch over to propane as a result. I have CNG on my boat and have really liked it living in New England with Corp Brothers for exchanges and some local marinas also offering exchanges. With the tank exchange no longer available, it does pose a challenge which some people have purchased adapters to try and fill at CNG facilities for cars but is technically illegal/not allowed for portable tanks. CNG simply has not been available for anyone living outside of New England and especially other countries (for example the Bahamas/Caribbean). It is really unfortunate that it never really was accepted by the marine industry and most builders discontinued the use of it after the 1980's.
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:56   #58

Thanks for that update. Greatly appreciated. That is unfortunate.
Old 18-02-2021, 11:06   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCLover View Post
Good Old Boat magazine has a classified section that might be a good place to post this boat. Have you had any nibbles at all?
Speaking of which, the February issue of Good Old Boat had a fantastic article about how to sell your boat yourself. Some of the points have been mentioned in this thread, but you might just want to pick up the February issue and review.

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 11:30   #60

I'm a subscriber. Thanks for the tip.