Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 10:53   #1

Boat: 1981 Vagabond 47
Fuji 45. What about these boats. (re-posting this topic due to wrong spelling)

I know they're made in Japan and all that sailboat data . com has to say about them but what can you tell me about them? How well they sail. I'm wondering about how easy they are to single hand. I'm single, 60 years old and still in good shape. Will be living aboard. They seem to have a great layout. I like the big windows too, to see outside and not feel closed in. I guess big windows are not an issue at sea?

Draft is 5.5 feet. Has long keel. Rudder is in protected aperture. I like that.

I really haven't sailed a lot but plan to do a lot soon. Haven't done any cruising at all but plan to do a lot of that in a couple years.

I have had my sights set on a Vagabond 42 but last night I saw these Fuji 45s and really like what I saw.

Please let me know your thoughts. What are the positives and negatives.
dennymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 16:25   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fuji 45. What about these boats. (re-posting this topic due to wrong spelling)

Denny,

That boat displaces 30,500lbs. She is heavy, she will not point well, and she will be a comfortable liveaboard, possibly. She will be slow, as well. Whether or not those things matter is a personal choice. So, whether she might be a good boat for you is up to you, what your sailboat prejudices are. But, you are unlikely to get stronger and fitter (most don't with aging), so be sure the winches are sized adequately.

Ann
Old 05-07-2017, 17:01   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Fuji 45. What about these boats. (re-posting this topic due to wrong spelling)

Not a Fuji 45, but a very similar design:

The Hardin 45 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

The last paragraph might give you a chuckle.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Denny,

That boat displaces 30,500lbs. She is heavy, she will not point well, and she will be a comfortable liveaboard, possibly. She will be slow, as well. Whether or not those things matter is a personal choice. So, whether she might be a good boat for you is up to you, what your sailboat prejudices are. But, you are unlikely to get stronger and fitter (most don't with aging), so be sure the winches are sized adequately.

Ann
Hi Ann.

I am on the fence between a Fuji 45 and a Vagabond 42 for several reasons other than sailing speed. I have always cringed when folks say "slow", "not point well" and such descriptions about these type heavy displacement boats. Aren't these descriptions a given? I sailed on a Formosa 41 about 2 years ago for a few hours in Galveston Bay. These are heavy, full keeled boats but guess what?,,, the boat did what it was designed to do. "Sail". We had a nice time and were moving along and there wasn't really much wind that day. (I don't know what the actual wind speed was that day) And what is the real difference between 6 knots and 8 knots? That only means your going to get to your destination slightly quicker, a few miles different in,,, say 6 hours = about 12 miles different. So? I mean, what's the hurry?

I'm currently messaging back and forth with an ex-owner of a Fuji 45 that lived on it for 6 years and sailed it a lot. But he's never sailed any other boat so he couldn't say if his boat was slower than others or not, or pointed to wind any different. He said that once, he averaged 6.5 between Cabo to Hawaii. From what I've read I believe that's downwind with the tradewinds so that might be a bit slower than I'd like. I don't know. Honestly, I was a bit concerned when he told me that. I'm going to ask him more info. I'm reaching out to other owners of these boats for more info on speed but I just don't expect there to be any difference between these boats and a Vag-42. I hope not.

A Vagabond 42 weighs 32K lbs and has a fin keel with 5.5 ft draft. A Fuji 45 weighs 30.5K lbs and has a full keel with cutback forefoot with the same draft of 5.5 ft. Are these 2 boats really going to sail any different from one another? I can't imagine they would be much different.

Do you think they will be much different?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Not a Fuji 45, but a very similar design:

The Hardin 45 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

The last paragraph might give you a chuckle.
Yep. I've looked at these. Might consider them.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2017, 20:02   #6

No, I don't think they would be very different. Maybe slightly higher hull speed on whichever one has the longer waterline.

I see you like split rigs. Only buy what you like, you're the one has to live with her, and she should make your heart go pitty-pat in the nicest way.

On CF, zeehag, has a CT 41, and likes its sea keeping qualities.

Ann
Old 07-07-2017, 20:36   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Since you are going into this a bit cold, having not cruised yet and limited experience on various designs, I'd suggest chartering a few different kinds if you can, for a weekend, just to get a feel for different boats. Of course most of those are Catalinas or Beneteaus and such, so that may not help too much. Nothing wrong with them, just not your style. Still, the experience is helpful. Or walk the docks and see if you can meet up with folks who have the kind of boat you seek. Everyone loves to talk about their boats! And they will probably invite you out for an afternoon sail too. I can think of a few boats, fairly traditional looking, well-built and sea-worthy, that also perform very well. A Valiant 40 and Freya 39 are just two that come to mind. I think you can find the security you seek in better performing boats too. Now 6.5 knots to Hawaii may not be super fast for a 33' water line, but on the other hand you'll be comfy, even if the weather is not so comfy! One thing I do love about those Vagabonds and Hardins are those big windows in the transom! I have always wanted a boat with a big double bed aft and be able to see the sunrise in the morning there!

It is not so traditional looking, but a Peterson 44 is a very good center-cockpit choice too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
No, I don't think they would be very different. Maybe slightly higher hull speed on whichever one has the longer waterline.

I see you like split rigs. Only buy what you like, you're the one has to live with her, and she should make your heart go pitty-pat in the nicest way.

On CF, zeehag, has a CT 41, and likes its sea keeping qualities.

Ann

Both of these boats make my heart go pitty-pat, lol.

Zeehag and I have chatted 2 years ago about the 41's. I decided I don't like the inside layout.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Since you are going into this a bit cold, having not cruised yet and limited experience on various designs, I'd suggest chartering a few different kinds if you can, for a weekend, just to get a feel for different boats. Of course most of those are Catalinas or Beneteaus and such, so that may not help too much. Nothing wrong with them, just not your style. Still, the experience is helpful. Or walk the docks and see if you can meet up with folks who have the kind of boat you seek. Everyone loves to talk about their boats! And they will probably invite you out for an afternoon sail too. I can think of a few boats, fairly traditional looking, well-built and sea-worthy, that also perform very well. A Valiant 40 and Freya 39 are just two that come to mind. I think you can find the security you seek in better performing boats too. Now 6.5 knots to Hawaii may not be super fast for a 33' water line, but on the other hand you'll be comfy, even if the weather is not so comfy! One thing I do love about those Vagabonds and Hardins are those big windows in the transom! I have always wanted a boat with a big double bed aft and be able to see the sunrise in the morning there!

It is not so traditional looking, but a Peterson 44 is a very good center-cockpit choice too.
I appreciate your advice, which is excellent advice, but I don't have time to try any boats out. That's why I'm asking q's here. I have walked the docks and late at night I met a couple that own a Vagabond 42. It was late so wasn't able to ask much about their boat. I plan to talk to them again soon but I'm really concerned about the Fuji 45. I know very little about them and there's not a lot of info/videos or anything on them. Again, that's why I'm asking q's here. There is a fellow on this site, Marc, that I'm chatting with. He owns a Fuji 45 but he's never sailed any other boat so he has no reference point to make a comparison about the sailing qualities about his boat compared to others like these. Also there is a cruising couple that has one and I just sent them q's a few minutes ago.

Ohhh, you're preaching to the choir about the transom windows. This is a "MUST HAVE". The Vagabond has them. Fuji 45's do not have them. According to Marc, there is a deck locker aft of the aft birth wall. I've asked him about removing this locker box and extending the birth wall all the way to the transom wall and installing windows. If this can not be done, it's a deal killer. So this is really the most important thing for me to find out right now, lol. Silly to some I guess but not to me. I've dreamed of having these windows as a major part of my boat.
Old 12-07-2017, 14:36   #10

I'm going to rain on the transom window parade. Here's why.

1. If you want to see the sunrise from it, you have to be westbound, like crossing an ocean The rest of the time, sunrise will be from somewhere other than astern, as the boat lies to the wind or current, anytime the wind is out of the east and there is no current, you'll be looking at the darker part of the new day.

2. Those are the fiddliest darn items to varnish that you are likely to run across, just about have to do it from a dinghy, and then the water bounces you.

3. On long term liveaboard boats, storage is always at a premium.

4. Plus, they are a vulnerable point in a large sea. Imagine what would happen if a wave stove them in-- that's a big hole can let in a lot of water.

Let's just say I think it's a pleasant dream to want have them, but with disregard for the downsides.

Ann

Ann
Old 12-07-2017, 15:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
Hi Ann.

I am on the fence between a Fuji 45 and a Vagabond 42 for several reasons other than sailing speed. I have always cringed when folks say "slow", "not point well" and such descriptions about these type heavy displacement boats. Aren't these descriptions a given? I sailed on a Formosa 41 about 2 years ago for a few hours in Galveston Bay. These are heavy, full keeled boats but guess what?,,, the boat did what it was designed to do. "Sail". We had a nice time and were moving along and there wasn't really much wind that day. (I don't know what the actual wind speed was that day) And what is the real difference between 6 knots and 8 knots? That only means your going to get to your destination slightly quicker, a few miles different in,,, say 6 hours = about 12 miles different. So? I mean, what's the hurry?

I'm currently messaging back and forth with an ex-owner of a Fuji 45 that lived on it for 6 years and sailed it a lot. But he's never sailed any other boat so he couldn't say if his boat was slower than others or not, or pointed to wind any different. He said that once, he averaged 6.5 between Cabo to Hawaii. From what I've read I believe that's downwind with the tradewinds so that might be a bit slower than I'd like. I don't know. Honestly, I was a bit concerned when he told me that. I'm going to ask him more info. I'm reaching out to other owners of these boats for more info on speed but I just don't expect there to be any difference between these boats and a Vag-42. I hope not.

A Vagabond 42 weighs 32K lbs and has a fin keel with 5.5 ft draft. A Fuji 45 weighs 30.5K lbs and has a full keel with cutback forefoot with the same draft of 5.5 ft. Are these 2 boats really going to sail any different from one another? I can't imagine they would be much different.

Do you think they will be much different?
Yes, they are typical of many cruising designs. You get used to what you have and deal with it. You are anchored 95% of the time. What I've seen of the Japanese boats is they are typical of the Japanese work in that time period for many things... which was good quality.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 22:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, they are typical of many cruising designs. You get used to what you have and deal with it. You are anchored 95% of the time. What I've seen of the Japanese boats is they are typical of the Japanese work in that time period for many things... which was good quality.
Yes, I've found out they are of good quality.

Tags
boat, posting