Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 17:46   #226

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
So what I have in mind is a ~ 25 - 27 ft sailboat. It can have fin, wing, full, or long keel, no worries about that anymore. I'd like it to have a inboard diesel though, so that I can gain experience dealing with it. Also a head...
When I bought my 27-foot boat in 2012, a more experienced friend told me, "A 27 foot boat is either the biggest of the small boats or the smallest of the big boats." That seems to be right at the cutoff where you'll start to see enclosed heads. If you bumped up your search to 27-30 feet, I don't think your purchase price would go up drastically, and most of your candidates would be pretty serious boats in terms of the basic sailing systems and engine.

I have found that owning a boat is really its own pleasure separate and distinct from sailing. Having a slip of your own, with your own boat that is available whenever you want it, should give you and your wife a pretty good feel for whether it's a suitable hobby/activity/life for you. I haven't done much actual travelling by boat (is there a "day-sailor's forum" website?), but I strongly suspect that getting enamored with a particular destination or a particular comfort on a boat is a trap that could lead to disappointment. But having a serious boat that can be sailed for hours, days, or weeks, is a pleasure that can easily last a few years as you gain experience and cultivate your needs and tastes. There are countless boats on both U.S. coasts that would fill that role without denting your long-term budget.
Scratchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:58   #227

Boat: Cal 2-27

I enjoyed watching this film by Yves Gelinas about his circumnavigation on an Alberg 30, which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread. (Link is a preview with option to purchase). That's a beautiful boat that I was considering while in the market.

Caution: Monsieur Gelinas has "European sensibilities" in his clothing selection while filming.

Scratchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 18:56   #228

Boat: Tartan 40

Here ya go. Great boat. Took Robin Lee Graham across finish line in his circumnavigation. I loved mine but was a bit small for family of 4 extended cruises

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...rs-33-3706219/
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 21:17   #229
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
When I bought my 27-foot boat in 2012, a more experienced friend told me, "A 27 foot boat is either the biggest of the small boats or the smallest of the big boats." That seems to be right at the cutoff where you'll start to see enclosed heads. If you bumped up your search to 27-30 feet, I don't think your purchase price would go up drastically, and most of your candidates would be pretty serious boats in terms of the basic sailing systems and engine.

I have found that owning a boat is really its own pleasure separate and distinct from sailing. Having a slip of your own, with your own boat that is available whenever you want it, should give you and your wife a pretty good feel for whether it's a suitable hobby/activity/life for you. I haven't done much actual travelling by boat (is there a "day-sailor's forum" website?), but I strongly suspect that getting enamored with a particular destination or a particular comfort on a boat is a trap that could lead to disappointment. But having a serious boat that can be sailed for hours, days, or weeks, is a pleasure that can easily last a few years as you gain experience and cultivate your needs and tastes. There are countless boats on both U.S. coasts that would fill that role without denting your long-term budget.
I'll keep this in mind. when it is time to make decision, so much will change. at the moment, I'm learning as much as I can...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 21:19   #230
lyl

Quote:
I enjoyed watching this film by Yves Gelinas about his circumnavigation on an Alberg 30, which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread. (Link is a preview with option to purchase). That's a beautiful boat that I was considering while in the market.

Caution: Monsieur Gelinas has "European sensibilities" in his clothing selection while filming.

my first boat may end up being smaller than his, but thankfully, my other boat is bigger.
Old 29-12-2020, 21:21   #231
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Here ya go. Great boat. Took Robin Lee Graham across finish line in his circumnavigation. I loved mine but was a bit small for family of 4 extended cruises

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...rs-33-3706219/
electric... interesting...
Old 30-12-2020, 09:49   #232

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
electric... interesting...

I see it powered by a Westerbeke diesel right? Did I miss electric?
From my own experience with a L33, 21 hp will be plenty for calm water cruising at 5.5-6 kts and will be marginal for powering into nasty stuff. But the boat points quite well so better to sail anyway
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:02   #233
lyl

Quote:
From my own experience with a L33, 21 hp will be plenty for calm water cruising at 5.5-6 kts and will be marginal for powering into nasty stuff. But the boat points quite well so better to sail anyway
u r right; i was looking at a different boat. diesel...
Old 30-12-2020, 20:08   #234

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here's a good list of boats you can check out that are mostly full keel in your size range. (and some good advice as well)

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
Excellent list
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:10   #235

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Did you read, Jimmy Cornell abandoned attempt of electric power for cruising. Google article and read it. Very good analysis, why electric is not mature at this point.
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:16   #236

Boat: FORCE 5 14'

Quote:

I have found that owning a boat is really its own pleasure separate and distinct from sailing. Having a slip of your own, with your own boat that is available whenever you want it, should give you and your wife a pretty good feel for whether it's a suitable hobby/activity/life for you. I haven't done much actual travelling by boat (is there a "day-sailor's forum" website?), but I strongly suspect that getting enamored with a particular destination or a particular comfort on a boat is a trap that could lead to disappointment. But having a serious boat that can be sailed for hours, days, or weeks, is a pleasure that can easily last a few years as you gain experience and cultivate your needs and tastes.

There are countless boats on both U.S. coasts that would fill that role without denting your long-term budget.
Out of curiosity, I just checked. My "short list" has 38 models by around 30 brands. I haven't checked the designers, but I bet there are 8-10 of those represented.
The learning a new skillset is what drew me to sailing. Well....that and a life long love of the water.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:31   #237
lyl

This post was a casual effort to make a short list of full keel sailboats. I've learned about several of them. Thank you for everyone who shared and added to my list; that was all I asked for.
Old 30-12-2020, 20:50   #238

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
This post was a casual effort to make a short list of full keel sailboats. I've learned about several of them. Thank you for everyone who shared and added to my list; that was all I asked for.
Full, I'm really glad you posted it. I got all kinds of ideas from the various posts.

I'll leave you with my favorite white whale, the boat that checks all my boxes, if I can scrape together 500,000 Euros and get to Germany.

https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/35ds/

Best wishes for 2021, and may you find your boating dream.
Old 30-12-2020, 21:15   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Full, I'm really glad you posted it. I got all kinds of ideas from the various posts.

I'll leave you with my favorite white whale, the boat that checks all my boxes, if I can scrape together 500,000 Euros and get to Germany.

https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/35ds/

Best wishes for 2021, and may you find your boating dream.
It's more like 400k excluding VAT. They have a pretty good chartering program over there in germany. Quite a few Sirius 35ds in it.

The 35DS are usually booked out for a year so the demand is high. If you can get european financing it might be a good way to go. If you put it in charter you will need to pay the high german VAT.

https://www.charterzentrum.de/yachtc...=565&jahr=2020
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 21:22   #240

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
It's more like 400k excluding VAT. They have a pretty good chartering program over there in germany. Quite a few Sirius 35ds in it.

The 35DS are usually booked out for a year so the demand is high. If you can get european financing it might be a good way to go. If you put it in charter you will need to pay the high german VAT.

https://www.charterzentrum.de/yachtc...=565&jahr=2020
Good intel, thanks. I figured it went up from 400 once you started customizing.

That is such a sweet boat. Sorry, Full, for thread-hijacking.

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat