Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 07:32   #256
lyl

Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Another thing. I think you said your wife will probably not take any courses with you.

Having her learn to sail and liking it is the best way for you to get your full keel boat. A professional instructor is way better than you trying to teach her later yourself, one shout from you and it's all over. If all she enjoys about sailing is sitting at anchor then you are fighting an uphill battle.

If I were you I would invest in some private ASA courses, just you, the wife and an instructor on a decent size boat in good conditions. This way she might.......might, just come around to liking 'the heel'.

Don't plan on 100% single handing all the time. She will get bored and start to find little things about sailing that annoys her, and there are ALOT.

I think you'll agree that all the channels on youtube are of couples who both sail. The only few where the wife seems to be just there as a passenger are couples with big catamarans and day hopping the islands.
well, turns out, she actually wants to take courses.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 07:36   #257
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
If you´re wife doesn´t likes the heeling, the boat and the shouting and is reluctant to take her shoes of, my best advise is: "Get yourself a new wife". It is cheaper than a new boat and at least with your boat, the dreamboat will stay with you. The dreamwoman? I´m not so shure!"
i know u r joking, but i have to say i'm in love with my wife. so i'll be sailing a cat, big deal...
Old 31-12-2020, 07:37   #258
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Probably why you see a lot of single handers out there in small monos....

I think men overestimate the allure of single handed sailor on a small rolly mono.

You need a neel 51. haha. This guy managed to pick up a 20 something argentine girl not too long after he started. Good luck with that on a 27 foot mono.

When a girl see a bearded man on a small mono she probably think you are a creep.
love is blind, my friend.
Old 31-12-2020, 07:40   #259
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I took a girl to sea on a 27' mono. I even grew a beard. We're still married.
beautiful story, thank you for sharing.
Old 31-12-2020, 07:44   #260
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Does anyone actually use OpenCPN on a boat? I find it to be so clunky as to be nearly unusable, and a massive step down from just about any iPad nav app. I think it appeals to a lot of arm chair tech-types, but actual boaters? I wonder.
i believe that recommendation was made in the name of not dumping too much $s on an old 'trainer' keel, not to sail bluewaters.
Old 31-12-2020, 07:47   #261
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I use it (OpenCPN)) on my boat mainly when anchoring in shallow water and when I get in a creek far in passed the channel markers.

Sometimes I'll look at it while in mid bay 15 miles offshore but usually then I know about where I am and have plenty of depth.

It's actually pretty easy to use if you play with it some.

I have charts for the coastal waters of Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina and out maybe 30 miles into the ocean downloaded now and will download more when I begin to cruise full time. Pilot charts are also available for downloading on OpenCPN

I have OpenCPN 5.2 on my Raspberry Pi 4 Computers running Linux OS (one at home and one on the boat) and I also have it on my Laptop which uses the Windows 10 OS.

I can see my "boat/apartment" when at my home so I can play with it there also.

I have AIS displayed on the OpenCPN chart also all on my 19" HDTV. The AIS is coming in through an RS422/485 USB Adapter bring in the AIS NMEA Data to the Raspberry Pi from my SH GX2200

Lots of full time cruisers use it also which is where I got the idea.

OpenCPN Forum. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/

Btw, there's an updated image now available to download free for the Raspberry Pi Computers on the Open Plotter (OpenMarine) Website.

https://cloud.openmarine.net/s/sL9doDML7P4CQDo

The coolest thing is if you already have a monitor you can make a chart plotter for about $100 with a Raspberry Pi and a USB GPS Puck and use it on your boat.
i'll get into this if i end up buying a very cheap keel as a first boat.
Old 31-12-2020, 07:55   #262
lyl

i think a long list of full / long keel boats has been created, more than i asked for... thanks again, and let's start new posts for opensource sw, on board relationships, and such out of scope matters.
for late arrivals, this is where to go for a head start:
https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
Old 31-12-2020, 08:21   #263

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Does anyone actually use OpenCPN on a boat? I find it to be so clunky as to be nearly unusable, and a massive step down from just about any iPad nav app. I think it appeals to a lot of arm chair tech-types, but actual boaters? I wonder.
I use OpenCPN, CM93ED2 charts, Lowrance and have a Garmin GPS 78. In this constellation, I plot on the CM-charts and export to the Garmin GPS 78. The Lowrance has Navionics charts, which I find inaccurate versus the CM-charts and Garmin. Lately, since Garmin has taken over Navionics, their charts are getting better. But CM93 is worldwide and I still have most trust in them (and of course paper charts) As to your mobile phone device? Since I have been in a inflatable for 2 days, after my 1st boat sunk, I tend not to trust in mobile phones of shore. Is like cover the sun with your finger. Sounds good but is silly!
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:35   #264

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
love is blind, my friend.
But, I'm not.
Old 31-12-2020, 09:50   #265
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
But, I'm not.
Then you've never fallen in love!?
We've gotta start a new post for this...
Old 31-12-2020, 11:57   #266

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Looks like fun to me, man...
If you think that sail was fun, then this one was a riot! (and I did pop a few dramamine 2 hours before I took this video when I was getting into the worst of it. Things had laid down a bit here so I was able to open the hatch and grab my camera)

I did break some stuff though and had too much sail up and also got soaked a few times with breaking waves over the side before I was able to turn DDW toward my destination. The dodger frame got broken from a breaking wave over the front side and the bow lights wouldn't work afterward probably because the bow was under water much of the time on this crossing.

If you get a small boat and plan to be offshore and not heave too, make sure you have 3 sets of reef points in your main.

I only have one set. (at this time)

But there's no heaving too on a small boat in the lower Chesapeake Bay when the winds get over 30 knots because the waves are too close, too high, and too steep. In the ocean where the waves are spaced wider apart, it (heaving too) would work better

Winds on this day hit 34 knots with tide against wind but the old Bristol 27 full keel sailboat did fine.

I was just worried about the old rigging I had never changed and the tiller as I had broken one last year.

Checkout the amount of water the boat is pushing through due to having a bit too much sail up. Boat keeps trying to head up also due to the same reason. Too much mainsail up.

Also the wind noise in the rigging is still there but not as loud as before.......

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 17:42   #267

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Then you've never fallen in love!?
We've gotta start a new post for this...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or some such nonsense.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:58   #268
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or some such nonsense.
is it?
Old 01-01-2021, 08:11   #269

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
If you think that sail was fun, then this one was a riot! (and I did pop a few dramamine 2 hours before I took this video when I was getting into the worst of it. Things had laid down a bit here so I was able to open the hatch and grab my camera)

I did break some stuff though and had too much sail up and also got soaked a few times with breaking waves over the side before I was able to turn DDW toward my destination. The dodger frame got broken from a breaking wave over the front side and the bow lights wouldn't work afterward probably because the bow was under water much of the time on this crossing.

If you get a small boat and plan to be offshore and not heave too, make sure you have 3 sets of reef points in your main.

But there's no heaving too on a small boat in the lower Chesapeake Bay when the winds get over 30 knots because the waves are too close, too high, and too steep. In the ocean where the waves are spaced wider apart, it (heaving too) would work better

Winds on this day hit 34 knots with tide against wind but the old Bristol 27 full keel sailboat did fine.

I was just worried about the old rigging I had never changed and the tiller as I had broken one last year.

Checkout the amount of water the boat is pushing through due to having a bit too much sail up. Boat keeps trying to head up also due to the same reason. Too much mainsail up.

Also the wind noise in the rigging is still there but not as loud as before.......

Been there done that have the shirt hah. Don't underestimate the Chesapeake! Roughest part of 1200nm on last trip was here!
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:15   #270
lyl

Quote:

i like it

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat