Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 09:03   #271

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
Been there done that have the shirt hah. Don't underestimate the Chesapeake! Roughest part of 1200nm on last trip was here!
I definitely missed it on this one.

Before I sailed out from my protected anchorage at Kiptopeke (protected because the winds were Northerly), I put the one reef in the main and secured the anchor to the center cleat forward after I pulled it.

Then sailed SW my normal course. Winds were Northwest. I had my hatch totally open, no harness on, and no PFD on plus full jib.

I figured on 22 knot winds not 30 knots plus gusting higher and I didn't think about the opposing tide.

After I sailed out a ways and cleared the Peninsula to the North the waves started to getting huge for the bay, steep and breaking. After a couple of them broke over the side drenching me and the cockpit, I reach in and got my harness then got into it and my PFD.

I usually stand while sailing but it was too rough and I had to hold on to the winch to stay secured onboard. I also put in the hatch boards.

After waiting (heading East of South for a bit) for a tanker to get passed, I headed DDW and things were pretty nice especially after I was able to furl the jib.

I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay but that was maybe 75 miles North and you don't get the ocean waves up there like you do at the mouth of the bay where I am now and there are a few islands that provide some protection also up there.

Next time I'd like to have another reef point in the main or have the main down all the way and just sail with a partial jib.

In this video the boat is on autopilot in maybe 22-25 knot winds gusting here and there to maybe 29 knots, but I was up the bay a bit and the tide was with me I believe.

Autopilot was able to handle the steering because of the sail choice......it was actually a lack of choice because I sailed off anchor before noticing the main halyard was fouled. Then the jib furler became stuck and I sailed the boat all the way into my creek 35 miles south before lowering the whole sail.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:05   #272

Boat: Vancouver 27

It's always fun to read the small boat threads. I've had a Vancouver27 for about 10 years now and it's still the right boat for us, though for the last couple we've just been overwintering onboard. If we were going back to full time, we'd probably look for something a little bigger as our youth begins to recede..

I would just say, don't get too hung up on the details. Find a boat that you like, get to know it, and go have fun. Maybe you'll want something different in the future, maybe not. But if you find yourself in the SE US, able to work remotely, and have the means, my gentle suggestion would be to install some solar panels, a reliable DC-powered watermaker, and head straightaway to the bahamas The rest will fall into place as it should. There's no one right way to do it, only the way that makes sense for you guys.

If you're wife doesn't like cruising the bahamas, there's no hope Just wait for a good wx window to cross.

Happy new year
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 13:03   #273

Here's a full keel boat you can sail to the Bahamas and on most lakes AND it has a trailer. (in Northern Georgia) w/diesel!

You can prep it in your yard if you are a homeowner!

Cape Dory 25D.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...241752575.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-dory-25d
Old 01-01-2021, 13:25   #274

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here's a full keel boat you can sail to the Bahamas and on most lakes AND it has a trailer. (in Northern Georgia) w/diesel!

You can prep it in your yard if you are a homeowner!

Cape Dory 25D.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...241752575.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-dory-25d
That's an interesting boat and not to far away. Do you have any idea what the head room is? SBD doesn't list it. Never mind. Listing shows it's 5'9" or about my height in shoes.
Old 01-01-2021, 14:13   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's an interesting boat and not to far away. Do you have any idea what the head room is? SBD doesn't list it. Never mind. Listing shows it's 5'9" or about my height in shoes.
They're saying 5"11" on The Atom Voyages website but either way looks like it's a fit for you.

https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...e%20Dory%2025D

Review from Practical Sailor.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...20the%20market.
Old 19-01-2021, 16:38   #276

Made it to the end of the thread! That was LOTR epic. :P

I'm more than a little interested as to what ended up on Full's top 10. I think we have more or less the same expectations and 'requirements' although his budget seems more forgiving than mine.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 09:14   #277
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
install some solar panels, a reliable DC-powered watermaker, and head straightaway to the bahamas
Sounds like a plan.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 09:16   #278
lyl

Quote:
Here's a full keel boat you can sail to the Bahamas, Cape Dory 25D
This one will be in top three if any of them will be around by the time I move by the ocean.
Old 20-01-2021, 09:18   #279

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

"reliable DC powered watermaker".

Any suggestions?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 09:18   #280
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I'm tad bit shorter. hmm...
Old 20-01-2021, 09:27   #281
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Made it to the end of the thread! That was LOTR epic. :P

I'm more than a little interested as to what ended up on Full's top 10. I think we have more or less the same expectations and 'requirements' although his budget seems more forgiving than mine.
You're right on time. This is Hollywood; ending is actually the beginning!?
My top ten list for the very first serious sailboat has ended up having only one boat, a wing keel Catalina 22. Here're my reasonings,
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ri-244847.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...on-245162.html
My motto is 'always spend a tiny fraction of your budget.'
Old 24-01-2021, 04:58   #282
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
...My top ten list for the very first serious sailboat has ended up having only one boat, a wing keel Catalina 22...
For some kind of reason I wrote 'wing' here; I meant to say, 'fin.'
In the meantime, I've, quite a few times, rented a trimaran at the lake, a Windrider 17. A mind changing experience, it has been; I have to say...
Old 24-01-2021, 05:09   #283

Quote:
For some kind of reason I wrote 'wing' here; I meant to say, 'fin.'
In the meantime, I've, quite a few times, rented a trimaran at the lake, a Windrider 17. A mind changing experience, it has been; I have to say...
I felt the same way with my 4 beach cats Hobie 16's, Nacra 6.0, and Nacra F17 with spinnaker. All these boats could hit speeds into the mid 20 knot range.

The problem is though once you get to the big water and the wind cranks up into the high 20's and the waves get big and are sometimes breaking, you then need a different sort of boat

Sometimes it's hard just getting off the beach. This from the Worrell 1000 in around 2002. The boats are Inter 20's (I20's). They replaced the Nacra 6.0. They are around 400 lbs, SA/Disp about 75

Old 24-01-2021, 05:21   #284
lyl

Quote:
I felt the same way with my 4 beach cats Hobie 16's, Nacra 6.0, and Nacra F17 with spinnaker. All these boats could hit speeds into the mid 20 knot range.

The problem is though once you get to the big water and the wind cranks up into the high 20's and the waves get big and are sometimes breaking, you then need a different sort of boat
Your video is way above my capabilities.
Below is not my video...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/5RARLhusieM
Windrider must not like waves at all...
Old 24-01-2021, 05:34   #285

Quote:
Your video is way above my capabilities.
Below is not my video...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/5RARLhusieM
Windrider must not like waves at all...
They are perfect for where you are and you can learn sailing best on light, fast, small boats.

Racing them (small boats) even teaches you more. (Especially one design)

Many of the guys in that video I posted are from Pensacola or Ft. Walton Beach FL and have been sailing since they were kids and sailed during the Beach Cat boom years of the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

The Worrell 1000 which is sailed in the Atlantic Ocean was first sailed using Hobie 16's.

In 1997, we had 82 boats on the starting line for the yearly 100 mile Beach Cat race out of Ft Walton Beach FL at 7 am. It was a beautiful site when they all hoisted their spinnakers. (those that had spinnakers)

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat