Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 14:10   #76
lyl

Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
What? Plenty of people cruise the dismal swamp in fin keels. I know a couple boats recently that just did it in fin keels with 6' draft. No need to scare people.

Any boat with 6' or less keel can easily do ICW so long as you watch your tides/pay attention. I ran aground softly 3 times on my way up but that was only due to me not paying attention.
For a while, I was considering a wing keel catalina 315...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:11   #77
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
You're fine with around 6' of keel on the ICW. If I could do it, anyone can. I wouldn't go much past 6' but that is just my opinion. Obviously you won't be able to get into a lot of marinas.

The Cape Dory another user posted as for sale in this thread would be an outstanding first boat.
You have lots of experience. TY for sharing.
Old 21-12-2020, 14:17   #78
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Full,

There is no “right” answer to many things sail related. Thats a good attitude you have there. Do what you want, but do.
Yes, endless options - no way to find a right answer.
Old 21-12-2020, 14:18   #79
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
And any number of boats have circumnavigated without any engine at all.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it is the best solution.

Stick with diesel...

Greg
I feel the same. TY!
Old 21-12-2020, 14:23   #80
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
You don't mention your budget or location.

If your budget is small and your location is the U.S. West Coast you can pick up a Rawson 30 for a song.

Manufactured in Seattle by a fishing boat builder, Ron Rawson, I had the pilothouse version and loved it- heavy bulletproof build (ferro cement hull) that sailed well (enough) and handled all the worst conditions of SF Bay and Pacific Coast in relative comfort and safety.
I've just mentioned the location. I'm in MO at the moment, soon to be relocated, long story... We'll be by the ocean when it happens, and I know what to do with money + ocean. I also mentioned about fully loaded brand new Catalina 315 plans of mine, should give an idea about the budget - although, I don't feel as if I have to spend it all. I think I can still do pretty good with only a fraction of that price tag. And seems as if the new location will be the East side - as I said long story. Covid delayed everything; I could've been already realizing my dreams... But...
Old 21-12-2020, 14:30   #81
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Sorry I am late finding this thread. I wanted to correct @Benz's statement that the Cape George Cutters are kit boats: they are not. Westsails and Cascades were kit boats, which is to say many modules were available to speed production (such as fiberglass v-berths or head/shower units that just drop in). The Cape Georges only have fiberglass hulls available; not one of them has a molded deck/house. As such, each boat is custom with nothing standardized beyond the hull, and even there some have altered it. The result is that they are very expensive to build (half a million for a 31 today sounds about right). And there is no fixed price: they are built on time and materials. Most of them were owner-completed, with highly variable results in both design and quality. The factory-finished boats were beautifully completed, but again with varying designs to fit the owners' wishes. Since the boat is primarily wood above the hull it is subject to rot, and especially if maintenance has been ignored. Buying a used Cape George it is essential to get a skilled surveyor experienced in wood inspection. The best examples are almost museum-quality but there are a lot of them available for a song that need a lot of help.

The local broker just picked up a CG31, essentially for free. The hull, Volvo diesel, and Max-Prop are in good shape. The plywood deck was inadequately covered with fiberglass and is rotten: the deck and house need to be removed down to the deck beams, a couple of beams repaired or replaced, and then a new deck and house built. The interior is basic and lacking electrical and plumbing systems. For someone wanting to build a 31 it would be a good place to start; others should avoid like the plague.

I knew a couple with a Pacific Seacraft 31 and I would recommend that boat for cruising. It is a good example of a quality production boat.

Greg
I'll get back to this reply and study all the recommendations. TY.
PS - Pacific Seacraft 31 has been slowly climbing up in my list.
Old 21-12-2020, 14:31   #82

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I'll check them all. TY. A great list.
Well I'd suggest adding Columbia 29 to the list! Especially if you'd like a long keel that's
a little faster than those on the list.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:32   #83
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-B-Seas View Post
Have you thought about going electric? I would love to but it's out of my budget for me to repower, but I'm still working that plan out.
I bet, one day, we all will go electric, but with the current battery technology in consideration, I'll be sticking with the diesel decision. TY!
Old 21-12-2020, 14:34   #84
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
I would recommend looking at full keel boats built by Carl Alberg. Age of the boat would not be a large consideration rather I would look at condition, and renovations made to key components such as engine and rigging. Owning two Cape Dories (28 and 30b) it is my opinion that we will be long gone and these hulls will still be sailing the seven seas!

Cape Dories are still being made under the Robinhood brand but if you want to know the cost, then you can’t afford one. Why purchase a new version of the Cape Dory
when one can pick up a used one, ready for a summer of sailing for almost nothing! Plus half the fun is working on the boat and understanding its systems. In my opinion, know your boat and being able to work on its components is a key element in safety and boating enjoyment.

I would recommend keeping the small diesel engine and having a large capacity alternator which given power needs can also serve as a generator. During this year’s Salty Dog rally from Virginia to Antigua I found that we never used the generator but instead ran one of the two engines (Lagoon 42) to charge our bank. Generator is useless except for living on board.

V/r

Pete
By the bye, wife likes Lagoon 40 / 42...
Old 21-12-2020, 14:37   #85
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyMcFLy View Post
Hi from Panama where we’ve sailed 3000 miles on our beloved 1973 Formosa 41 full keel

Purchased for $30k with an intense refit already completed including house rebuild, teak decks removed and glassed and engine + tranny overhaul

50 year old Perkins 4.107 has over 12000 hours and runs fine

If you’re going long distance blue water and value comfort and safety over speed and like a classic look this is it
Earlier I meant to say, "Sometimes, you don't marry a sailboat, you just feel in love with one and live a love affair with it." This boat is one of those beauties. Now, beautiful is really beautiful to my eyes. TY for sharing this.
Old 21-12-2020, 14:43   #86
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well I'd suggest adding Columbia 29 to the list! Especially if you'd like a long keel that's
a little faster than those on the list.
Nice boat! Added to the list.
Old 21-12-2020, 14:46   #87

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

His designs are also very easy on the eyes and I always get complements from other sailors. When I showed up at a harbor after a spell of bad weather, other sailors, who had been holed up for three days, were incredious that someone had been sailing in the weather. Then they looked out and saw mu Cape Dory and one made the comment...”Oh, they have a Cape Dory”. I’ve seen the same reactions to snowy roads and my Jeep Wrangler.

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:51   #88
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
His designs are also very easy on the eyes and I always get complements from other sailors. When I showed up at a harbor after a spell of bad weather, other sailors, who had been holed up for three days, were incredious that someone had been sailing in the weather. Then they looked out and saw mu Cape Dory and one made the comment...”Oh, they have a Cape Dory”. I’ve seen the same reactions to snowy roads and my Jeep Wrangler.

V/r

Pete
Old Wranglers you meant to say I believe, not the new bad jokes that come with Fiat powertrains!?
Old 21-12-2020, 15:27   #89

Quote:
By the bye, wife likes Lagoon 40 / 42...
My buddy, who owns the Lagoon 42, is evil as he is trying to switch me to the dark side (Cats) He invited my wife and I for lunch and a afternoon sail this summer in the Chesapeake Bay. Wife, who considers both of my Cape Dories to be my mistresses, is now in love with Cats and has told my daughter in law that she could see herself spending some time on one.

If she continues her position that could coat me a pretty penny in the near future but if it gets her sailing it would be worth it.

My take on the Lagoon was its a very comfortable boat to travel in. We did the 1670 NM trip in 9 days and had constant 20 to 30 knot winds we beat into. Several monohulls diverted to Bermuda due to damage. I can’t complain at all about the ride on the Lagoon but the wave slap on the bottom had me checking for leaks....but that is a Cat thing.

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF94C991-AFFF-4A32-A404-E323CBBC9CF9.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	229101   Click image for larger version

Name:	961D3E01-F064-4A6E-9FF7-293A8D1CBC86.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	229102  

Name:	BE6C4528-A951-4281-B1B0-1409C1E4D574.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	229103   Click image for larger version

Name:	6ED94C0D-1924-4F1A-9148-ED94D07587CB.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	229104  

Name:	B544ADAA-C5EB-4ED1-9977-F7AAFB6619A3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	229105  
Old 21-12-2020, 15:29   #90

Quote:
Old Wranglers you meant to say I believe, not the new bad jokes that come with Fiat powertrains!?
Yep, 1992 Jeep YJ

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5CC2CE38-8D57-4463-9134-7FEFF9DCC6E8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	229107  

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat