Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 15:38   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
His designs are also very easy on the eyes and I always get complements from other sailors. When I showed up at a harbor after a spell of bad weather, other sailors, who had been holed up for three days, were incredious that someone had been sailing in the weather. Then they looked out and saw mu Cape Dory and one made the comment...”Oh, they have a Cape Dory”. I’ve seen the same reactions to snowy roads and my Jeep Wrangler.

V/r

Pete
Yeah, Jeeps Wranglers and old Volkswagens (beetles) .

Both great on snowy roads.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:09   #92
lyl

Quote:
My buddy, who owns the Lagoon 42, is evil as he is trying to switch me to the dark side (Cats) He invited my wife and I for lunch and a afternoon sail this summer in the Chesapeake Bay. Wife, who considers both of my Cape Dories to be my mistresses, is now in love with Cats and has told my daughter in law that she could see herself spending some time on one.

If she continues her position that could coat me a pretty penny in the near future but if it gets her sailing it would be worth it.

My take on the Lagoon was its a very comfortable boat to travel in. We did the 1670 NM trip in 9 days and had constant 20 to 30 knot winds we beat into. Several monohulls diverted to Bermuda due to damage. I can’t complain at all about the ride on the Lagoon but the wave slap on the bottom had me checking for leaks....but that is a Cat thing.

V/r

Pete
Trawlers and cats are designed to win the hearts of wives; looking at their interiors is like watching HGTV. Although, I'm still optimistic with the rustic charm of a classic full keel could do in the name of changing fooled hearts.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:10   #93
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, Jeeps Wranglers and old Volkswagens (beetles) .

Both great on snowy roads.
'Old' school Wranglers.
Old 21-12-2020, 16:12   #94
lyl

Quote:
Yep, 1992 Jeep YJ

V/r

Pete
Now, that's a real Jeep.
Old 21-12-2020, 16:14   #95
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well I'd suggest adding Columbia 29 to the list! Especially if you'd like a long keel that's
a little faster than those on the list.
It's already been added to the list.
Old 21-12-2020, 16:48   #96

Boat: formerly, Allied Seabreeze 35 sloop; now 21' Cobalt bowrider

An Allied Seabreeze 35 Sloop or Yawl from the early production bronze Seabreezes, has much to be said for it if it's been well-maintained. Granted, it's got a cutaway forefoot so you may consider it 3/4 keel.
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:53   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OK, while you are at it, you might want to look at some of these designs by Alan Pape. Fiberglass and steel designs.

https://sailboatdata.com/designer/pape-alan

I have a Ted Brewer “Murray 33” which is not full keel but a long fin. Sometimes these come up on Yachtworld. Yard built hull owner finished interior which can be great or bad. They are very roomy for a 33’ boat.

https://www.tedbrewer.com/sail_steel/murray33.htm

Now I am going to make another suggestion, for a book which deals with this subject and you might find worthwhile. It has an entire chapter devoted to defining the best solo passage maker. Not the exact make and model but defining the general attributes for a single hander. His choice is generally a 35’ish long keel boat, but he goes into details about what finer attributes it should have. Roughly what you are looking for if I understand you correctly.

It may help you evaluate some of the designs you are considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Singlehanded-.../dp/0070281645
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:16   #98

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I'll get back to this reply and study all the recommendations. TY.
PS - Pacific Seacraft 31 has been slowly climbing up in my list.

Great choice. I have the PS Mariah 31. If you can find one, definitely consider it.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:51   #99

Boat: Hans Christian 38 MkII

I had two full keel huul with cutaway forefoot boats.
- a NorSea 27 with the aft cabin. Bluecwater boat to sail anywhere.. Easy solo sailing boat. Beautiful joinery throughout. Very sea kindly. Built like a Mack truck. Tiller steering. Very very dry sailing.
- Hans Christian 38 Needed crew just to go get fuel. All the same attributes as the NS27 just everything is bigger, heavier, and beefier.

Other suggestions, by size:
Flicka 20
Falmouth Cutter 22
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Bristol Channel Cutter 28
searenity38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:58   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Aw come on now. 38’er and you need crew to get fuel?

We have a 44’er, cut away forefoot, 6-1/2” draft, 40,000 pounds, 49’LOA and we sail her just the two of us. And I’m 70. And never sailed until I was 55.

Yeah she can be a bear but you learn to love the one you are with. And when others are all whining about the surge in the anchorage we are like “What surge?”

You do not need a big boat, but they are manageable.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 18:28   #101

Boat: Allied Seawind II 32'

Full, also take a look at designs by Thomas Gillmer. Southern Cross 31 is the boat I fell in love with. Some were owner finished boats. The factory finished boats are known as Southern Cross, the owner finished as Gillmers. Alas, I could not find one anywhere nearby. So, I purchased another of Gillmer's designs, the Seawind Mk II. She is a wonderful boat. Here is a Gillmer currently for sale.
Onthehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 21:25   #102

The best small bluewater 27’ boat ever built is the Vancouver 27’. It will take you round the world and ask to go again. They are totally overbuilt and perform like 40’ers on the ocean. Not easy to find one in North America as the best ones were built in England. Many have circumnavigated without any problems and have a very sea kindly nature. If you find one make sure to sail it before you decide on anything else.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 00:12   #103
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
An Allied Seabreeze 35 Sloop or Yawl from the early production bronze Seabreezes, has much to be said for it if it's been well-maintained. Granted, it's got a cutaway forefoot so you may consider it 3/4 keel.
I already have a long list, and I'll weed out the ones that are not full keel. I've also noticed that some sailboats that were recommended here were not full keel. I have to shorten the list anyhow, so only full keel... But still a great boat you mentioned, I believe. Ty.
Old 22-12-2020, 00:15   #104
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
OK, while you are at it, you might want to look at some of these designs by Alan Pape. Fiberglass and steel designs.

https://sailboatdata.com/designer/pape-alan

I have a Ted Brewer “Murray 33” which is not full keel but a long fin. Sometimes these come up on Yachtworld. Yard built hull owner finished interior which can be great or bad. They are very roomy for a 33’ boat.

https://www.tedbrewer.com/sail_steel/murray33.htm

Now I am going to make another suggestion, for a book which deals with this subject and you might find worthwhile. It has an entire chapter devoted to defining the best solo passage maker. Not the exact make and model but defining the general attributes for a single hander. His choice is generally a 35’ish long keel boat, but he goes into details about what finer attributes it should have. Roughly what you are looking for if I understand you correctly.

It may help you evaluate some of the designs you are considering.

https://www.amazon.com/Singlehanded-.../dp/0070281645
Great recommendations, but I've started to weed out the non full keel ones... I'll still check these boats though. TY.
Old 22-12-2020, 00:16   #105
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post
Great choice. I have the PS Mariah 31. If you can find one, definitely consider it.
seacraft 31 will probably be excluded from my short list.

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat