Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 14:25   #46

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: full keel vs fin keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
...A fin keel boat sailed with a lot of heel may develop a large amount of weather helm, indicating that it is being poorly sailed, rather than an inferiority in keel design...
I think the reason that many fin keel boats develop a lot of weather helm when heeled is that many of them are kinda fat.

When heeled over the fat side of the hull is imersed while the other side is out of the water. This presents an assymetrical hull shape which natually wants to turn.

A skinnier boat has less tendancy to do this.
Old 03-11-2020, 15:28   #47

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

... When heeled over the fat side of the hull is imersed while the other side is out of the water. This presents an assymetrical hull shape which natually wants to turn. ...
Depending upon hull shape, this effect may not act in the direction that you would expect. Heeling increases wetted surface (and therefore drag) on the leeward side, so should cause the boat to turn to leeward, instead of to windward.

For most boats, the effect of displacing the center of effort of the sails far (several feet) to leeward creates a large moment about the underwater center of drag, in the direction that causes weather helm. The effect of changing the waterplane shape is less significant, in general, and does not always cause a moment to windward.

A windsurfer hull can be heeled by foot action, and the boat steers to starboard when heeled to starboard. Kayaks may turn one way or the other with heel, depending upon hull shape.

But, yes, fat boats tend to develop more weather helm when significantly heeled.... so they should be sailed relatively flat. My J24 was pretty fat compared to my Columbia Contender. They had essentially identical sail area/displacement ratios. Sailed well (flat) the J 24 was much faster than the Columbia sailed at its best (steeper) heel angle. In both, if I carried a lot of weather helm, it meant I was doing something wrong: it was not that one keel or the other had some particular bad trait -- it was that the skipper had some bad trait.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 15:39   #48

Full keels are generally encapsulated. Many fin keels are bolted on.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:54   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
Full keels are generally encapsulated. Many fin keels are bolted on.
Well, fancy that!

Jim
Old 04-11-2020, 02:11   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

gosh, I guess we're a minority. WE have a Sun Fast 40.3, which is a racer cruiser. Deep fin keel, deep spade rudder, lots of sail. We don't have problems with weather helm (we simply reef down). Nor do we get exhausted at the helm (well in all fairness, when we were hand steering through a gale between Marquesas and Hawaii, we were tired) but otherwise not.

My advice is learn to trim our sails and your problems will be minor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:24   #51

My experience has been that setting proper mast rake has a significant effect on the helm, as was stated earlier. It's controlled primarily by the fore stay length and in the age of headsail furling systems, is often not optimal or plain wrong.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel