Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43   #31

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Galley Design/Layout

Teddy, I totally understand how meals made from raw materials are far superior. I made the comment about precooked meals since many do that. It depends on the cook and the recipe. The last long passage I did as crew had a great cook with some fine meals that improved with "age". I find chili and stews are better the next day myself, even to the point that I will make them and put them in the reefer to have the next day on purpose.

I have had my share of cold tinned food. Fruits are more tolerable than other things. And I wouldn't eat cold (or hot) Spam - ever. You have to draw the line somewhere.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:46   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Teddy, I totally understand how meals made from raw materials are far superior. I made the comment about precooked meals since many do that. It depends on the cook and the recipe. The last long passage I did as crew had a great cook with some fine meals that improved with "age". I find chili and stews are better the next day myself, even to the point that I will make them and put them in the reefer to have the next day on purpose.

I have had my share of cold tinned food. Fruits are more tolerable than other things. And I wouldn't eat cold (or hot) Spam - ever. You have to draw the line somewhere.
You haven't been really hungry
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
They must. Jimmy Cornell's boat and all Garcia Explorations are built w/ longitudinal galleys and are indeed expressly built for offshore voyaging. You can design both U shaped galleys or fore and aft galleys that will fail offshore, or that can work well offshore. As teddy says, it's the sales and marketing guys who design the former, and they know their market well. Boats designed for voyaging are a niche market these days.
Looking at JC new boat. The galley does have rear support for most of it but you'd need to be strapped into the stove in offshore conditions. It's not the best solution but one always compromises when designing a yacht. He wants 8 bunks for his family which is further compromising the design overall. The rear arch area has one little solar panel and no room for more which to my way of thinking is the second best idea plus the stuff like wind generators are set up to shade the panels in areas. I think he is a genset type of cruiser. There is a lot I do like about the design.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:13   #34

When you place a sink against the hull the only way to drain it on one tack is to pump it, either by hand or electrically. No one has figured out how to make water flow uphill without some help.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:41   #35

Boat: Passport 40

You can still have the sink in the midline of the boat with a line galley, just instead of it running beam to beam it runs bow to stern.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 19:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
You can still have the sink in the midline of the boat with a line galley, just instead of it running beam to beam it runs bow to stern.

huh!!
Old 14-04-2016, 21:39   #37

Boat: Passport 40

What I mean is in today's modern center cockpit boats you can still have a midline sink... Sorry my original reply made sense in my head, not so much on paper.

brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 21:54   #38

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Exactly. And cooked meals take up less space in the fridge than the raw materials needed to cook them. And a good stew or casserole easily lasts a week in the fridge an will still be tasty.
Same for soups, which I will prepare so that they are really thick, and then when it comes time to heat them up and serve I will just add water and heat up.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 21:58   #39

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
When you place a sink against the hull the only way to drain it on one tack is to pump it, either by hand or electrically. No one has figured out how to make water flow uphill without some help.
Depends on how far you are healing on that tack. As has been mentioned: Modern boats like to be sailed flat.

This is an interior designed by and for people who race boats around the world:

Old 15-04-2016, 04:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Depends on how far you are healing on that tack. As has been mentioned: Modern boats like to be sailed flat.

This is an interior designed by and for people who race boats around the world:

Except with the modern pizza boats you don't sail them flat to windward. Who's race boat is that?
Old 15-04-2016, 05:59   #41

Quote:
Except with the modern pizza boats you don't sail them flat to windward. Who's race boat is that?
It's not a race boat, it's a cruising boat, but built by a racer...
This is the JPK 38FC.
Old 16-04-2016, 05:35   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
It's not a race boat, it's a cruising boat, but built by a racer...
This is the JPK 38FC.
Thats why I asked, it didn't look like a race boat. Doesn't strike me as a great layout for offshore cruising but each to their own.
Old 17-04-2016, 02:41   #43

Quote:
Thats why I asked, it didn't look like a race boat. Doesn't strike me as a great layout for offshore cruising but each to their own.
Well, this is a boat built with the intention to go offshore cruising, by people who have quite some experience there...

What is wrong with the layout in your opinion?
Old 26-04-2016, 07:16   #44

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

+1

We are long past the point where form has exceeded function in the design of sailboats, however the invoices of those same marine architects are paid for by companies that demand large open airy interiors at the expense of storage, safety and functionality at sea in order to sell boats to charter companies and weekend sailors...

I will second guess however those publications, driven by advertising dollars, that anoint boats as "best cruiser" based upon an afternoon sail in 12kt wind and 2ft chop in the Chesapeake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclejim View Post
I don't want to second guess marine architects but I absolutely believe that all modern boat interiors are designed for dreamers and not cruisers. Most people don't do long passages or own their boat for a long time. Lots of open space and no stowage space sells more boats and a few I've seen look dangerous with no where to hang onto or brace. I prefer the claustrophobic closed in nesty style. Passages are tough enough without having to worry about carrying your pot 10 steps across the salon
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 18:06   #45

[QUOTE=K_V_B;2099098]Well, this is a boat built with the intention to go offshore cruising, by people who have quite some experience there...

What is wrong with the layout in your opinion?[/QUOTE

Well let me begin by saying that these are my opinions and everyone has their own way of cruising.
It looks to me like the boat has the interior maximized at the expense of storage. Seats are built right out to the hull. I'm not sure but my guess would be that on a flat bottomed boat the water tanks would be under the seats which doesn't leave a lot of good storage and by that I mean lots of drawers and cabinets not a large open area like a rear bunk. Good to see the hand holds. The ports keep the boat very bright but you need to cover them in the tropics as the sun will cook you alive plus over the years you will need to be re bedding them on a regular basis. Looks more like a Med cruising boat which is used on weekends and summer holidays. I'm sure it's a great sailor though but 90% of the time you are anchored. I'd be interested in seeing more of the layout.

Tags
galley