Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 13:58   #1

Genoa on Hunter Vision 36??

Does anyone know of or have seen a Genoa on a Hunter Vision 36?

I know they can be had, is there any reason to do so?

Theoretical debate to follow I'm sure..........

Opinions, thoughts, rants?

I do plan on a asyn spinnaker.......but that is an entirely different subject, but please post your thoughts on that as well (brands, shapes, etc.)

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 14:06   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Genoa on Hunter Vision 36??

Why do think there is any reason that you can not have one? Other that the boat isn't setup for a big head sail there isn't any reason to not be able to fly one.

The A-chute isn't really a different discussion because depending on what you decide for a genny you may not even want to have one.

Unless there is something special about a Vision 36, in which case you need to ask only the other owners.
Old 04-11-2012, 14:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Why do think there is any reason that you can not have one? Other that the boat isn't setup for a big head sail there isn't any reason to not be able to fly one.

The A-chute isn't really a different discussion because depending on what you decide for a genny you may not even want to have one.

Unless there is something special about a Vision 36, in which case you need to ask only the other owners.
The discussion here is more theoretical efficiency than the actual having one. If there is no need to have one due to the much far forward placement of the mast, then the decision is quite easy.

Also I know that tacking a large genoa will be somewhat different due to the limited forward sail area.

I guess you are correct about the spinnaker.......

James L
Old 04-11-2012, 19:34   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm not familiar with this specific design, but in general it is difficult to maintain a tight luff on a headsail when rigged to an unstayed and bendy mast. If the luff sags off a lot the sail will not perform well to windward. If you are not going to use it to windward, an A-kite is probably more powerful and faster than a genoa.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-11-2012, 19:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm not familiar with this specific design, but in general it is difficult to maintain a tight luff on a headsail when rigged to an unstayed and bendy mast. If the luff sags off a lot the sail will not perform well to windward. If you are not going to use it to windward, an A-kite is probably more powerful and faster than a genoa.

Cheers,

Jim
That is a good point, and somewhat of a critique that I was looking for.

But the boat already has a headsail (designed with a 100% jib if I'm not mistaken), so there must be some performance left in the sail, although probably not optimum.

Now, I must admit, I've never flown a A-kite, so I will definitely need to do some research on them. I will definitely want one with a sock.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 03:33   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
The discussion here is more theoretical efficiency than the actual having one. If there is no need to have one due to the much far forward placement of the mast, then the decision is quite easy.

Also I know that tacking a large genoa will be somewhat different due to the limited forward sail area.

I guess you are correct about the spinnaker.......

James L
I gave you an answer as a Hunter sailor. Do what you want with it!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:09   #7

Quote:
Whoa.......please don't take offense....

It's all good here. I take everyone's input very seriously. Especially a person who is sailing a boat the same brand as I plan to purchase.

I like to have others opinions to see what valid reasons they have for and against something. It helps making an informed decision.

And you are probably right. I should probably keep the original jib, and go with an A-kite.

I tend to know a lot about many things, but would never call or consider myself an expert with regard to anything but maybe electronics.

I definitely appreciate your opinion, and the time you took to give it.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18   #8
CLOD

[QUOTE=propellanttech;1076834

And you are probably right. I should probably keep the original jib, and go with an A-kite.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't really say that, but you should definitely stay with the jib for normal use. If it was me and I only could have 1 extra sail I would consider getting a genny like a Doyle UPS on a removable furler instead of an A-chute unless you plan to always be running/broad reaching with it.

I have an asym and wish I had something more useful going to wind on a close reach instead!

All depends on what you plan to do and how many sails you want to buy (and live with in the boat taking up space).
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37   #9

Quote:
I didn't really say that, but you should definitely stay with the jib for normal use. If it was me and I only could have 1 extra sail I would consider getting a genny like a Doyle UPS on a removable furler instead of an A-chute unless you plan to always be running/broad reaching with it.

I have an asym and wish I had something more useful going to wind on a close reach instead!

All depends on what you plan to do and how many sails you want to buy (and live with in the boat taking up space).
I would like to keep the gear as simple as possible. Buying two sails is not out of the question, but I would like to keep it to a possible Jib/Genoa and possibly a A-kite.

Not sure if I would want the extra gear of the UPS. But it is an option.

Simplicity is really important, but performance is not out of the question. I'm not going for racing though, just nice performance on as many points of sail as I can get.

The Vision is not the best pointing into the wind (beating), so I doubt much can be done about that. It's just a fact of life with it's design.

There are so many options it is really hard to decide which way to go.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I would like to keep the gear as simple as possible. Buying two sails is not out of the question, but I would like to keep it to a possible Jib/Genoa and possibly a A-kite.
You'll probably find a gennaker to be more useful than any genoa since you won't be able to tension the luff of the later. I recommend a shy kite of some sort, like a North G3.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
But the boat already has a headsail (designed with a 100% jib if I'm not mistaken), so there must be some performance left in the sail, although probably not optimum.
Not really. Not going to weather, anyway.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
You have a stayed rig, he's looking at a boat with a freestanding rig. I think there's going to be some differences even though they're both Hunters.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, hunter