Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 10:53   #91

Boat: Reinke 13 M Ice (45 ft aluminium sloop)
Send a message via Skype™ to SY-Breakpoint
Re: German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

You should have a look at this one.

2001 Reinke 13M Special

Make:
Reinke

Model:
13M Special

Model Length:
47 ft

Price:
CAD $299,000

Year:

Boat Name:
Gjoa

Hull Material:
Aluminum

Draft:
5 ft 0 in

Number of Engines:

Fuel Type:
Diesel

YW Number:
76246-3844802

Listing Broker

Trina Holt
YACHT BROKER - VICTORIA
Office:778.432.2628
Cell:250.818.4658

Gjoa

This isn’t a sailboat. This is a call to adventure. This is a summons to sail the seven seas, to dance with Neptune, to convene with the forces of nature. Aboard Gjoa (Yo-ah) you will slip the lines and truly experience the life you were meant to live. This isn’t a sailboat. It’s a way to make that happen.
Gjoa is a proven bluewater cruiser. She’s crossed both the Atlantic and Pacific, N to S, E to W, in both hemispheres, as far south as 45S and as far north as 61N, and now she awaits in the emerald-green Salish Sea for her next master.
She was designed by German naval architect Kurt Reinke (RINE-kee) and built in 2001 by Rehberger Yachts in Germany, The Reinke 13M Special model is “special” because she was widened and extended, achieving the hydrodynamically perfect integration of a bathing platform. The keel sole is 10mm (3.94”) thick, and the hull is 5-7mm (0.2-0.28”). It was built to tolerate ice drift. With an excellent sail inventory, a 2017 75hp Yanmar engine, and a convenient bow thruster, she’s swift and nimble.
Gjoa is a tough, no-nonsense expedition boat, but also a very comfortable liveaboard. She has a deck saloon with all-around views from raised seating. The generous windows are thick, double-paned safety glass. There is 200cm (6’ 7”) headroom in the saloon, a shower, fridge and freezer, pressure water, hot water, all-electric cooking, washing machine, TV/CD player, and many comforts of home. A diesel stove at anchor or hydronic heating underway keeps things toasty warm. There is closed-cell foam insulation to keep the interior dry, quiet, and the temperature steady no matter the climate.
Outside, she has easy walk-around decks with no teak. The engine is located beneath the cockpit, so stand-up headroom with the hatch removed, and there’s a separate tool storage/work area with a vise. The sugar-scoop stern provides easy dinghy access. Dinghy davits are on the arch and there is an outboard crane. There’s dedicated life raft stowage, a drop-down swim/dive ladder, unpainted topsides, hard dodger, the list of goodness goes on.
You can get off the grid for a long time on this boat: 1,110 ltr (293 gal) of diesel, 700 ltr (185 gal) of water plus a water maker, 400 watts solar, electric cooking (no propane fills!), massive storage inside and out, protected steering stations inside and out, autopilot, handholds everywhere. The twin keels offer the option to dry out for maintenance when you can’t get a haul-out, and the 1.55 m (5.09’) draft will get you into places that other boats can’t go.
Gjoa hasn’t just been used, she’s been loved. The care and dedication shows in all the recent upgrades and new equipment. See the list of everything new in the specs.
Having adventured aboard Gjoa for several years, and with some health concerns, the owners are ready to swallow the anchor and are building their dream house. They recognize that Gjoa is not a boat meant to be tied to a dock, so with grace and goodwill, they are looking for the right person to take her back to bluewater. If you hear that call to adventure, if you want to live the life you’re meant to live, give me a call, I’d love to introduce you to Gjoa.

Specifications

LOA:
47 ft 0 in

Length:
47 ft

Beam Measure:
13 ft 0 in

Displacement:
17000 lbs Full Load

Number of Heads:

Number of Cabins:

Dimensions

• LOA: 14.3 m (47’)
  • LOD: 13.6 m (44.6’)
  • LWL: 12.2 m (40’)
  • Beam: 3.98 m (13’)
  • Draught: 1.55 m (5’)
  • Air Draught: 18.5 m (61’)
  • Hull Thickness: 7-10mm (0.28-0.39”) for ice conditions
  • Deck Thickness: 5mm (0.2”)
  • Displacement: 15,000 kg (33,069 lbs) or cruise-ready 17,000 kg (37,479 lbs)
  • Ballast: lead starboard 2.15t (4,300 lbs); port 2.55t (5,100 lbs)
  • Fuel Tanks: 1,000 ltr (264 gal) aluminum main; 110 ltr (29 gal) polyethylene day tank
  • Potable Water Tanks: 2 x 350 ltr (92.36 gal) polyethylene tanks, total 700 ltr (185 gal)
  • Holding Tank: 225 ltrs (60 gal) polyethylene

safe sailing
Tom
aboard SY-Breakpoint
SY-Breakpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:41   #92

Boat: Saare 41 AC
Re: German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

And then don't miss out the brandnew Nordship 570 DS!!! Being built in Danmark she is as good as (or even better than!) German
Zloty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:40   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Seems that the OP has never returned to explain his requirement for German-built boats. It is an unusual specification, one that could have valid reasons or could just be ethnocentrism... who knows? But it has brought attention to some builders that I'd never heard of, so an interesting thread, but it would be nice if he came back to show appreciation for all the input that he's received.

OP, where are you?

Jim
Old 29-10-2021, 13:43   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpacific View Post
Hi all!

I'm currently looking at purchasing a Sirius 40 DS. It looks like the perfect sailboat for me but wondering if there are better options out there. I'm only interested in German made sailboats with a raised deck salon, which are approximately 40 to 60 ft in length. The most important things for me are seaworthiness, ease of handling, safety, and stability.

I'm only interested in blue-water-cruisers (similar to the Sirius 40 DS) that are meant for offshore sailing/have most of necessary equipment for bluewater sailing (such as multiple energy sources, water maker, protected cockpit, self-tacking jib, autopilot, etc...), have many safety features (especially for rough seas), efficient use of space, suitable for single-handed sailing, comfort features while on passage and for living on board, onboard and deck stowage, and made with the highest quality materials.

I really like the large windows on the Sirius 40 DS, especially in the center cabin. Any suggestions that fit

the above requirements besides Sirius?
Look for a really good boat like the Swedish boats NAJAD 400 or Hallberg Rassy 40
Cgmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 14:25   #95

Looks like a nice vessel. If it is being marketed as a long range cruiser. Why does it only have 52 gallons of diesel? I just don’t understand why builders don’t address this. This will just be another “cruising” boat with it’s decks lined with diesel jugs. You can make water, but you can’t make diesel. My 47 yr old Cal 46 can sail 200 mile days and carries 270 gallons of diesel and 220 water. With the raised saloon design you would thing that there would be plenty of room for tankage. This is how they did it in the Cal. And the Caliber 40 LRC carries 240 of diesel. This is just the reality of cruising. You need diesel. 52 gallons is fine for costal work, but this is a very expensive world cruising yacht.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 14:49   #96

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Seems that the OP has never returned to explain his requirement for German-built boats. It is an unusual specification, one that could have valid reasons or could just be ethnocentrism... who knows? But it has brought attention to some builders that I'd never heard of, so an interesting thread, but it would be nice if he came back to show appreciation for all the input that he's received.

OP, where are you?

Jim
This is my question as well, and it has inspired a poll...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 17:14   #97

Boat: Foutain Pajot, Lipari 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfgang.Schau

I like the Sirius. However, if you are concerned about safety, explore the Etap yachts, they are unsinkable because of their double hull design.
I almost bought an Etap, but then I figured the mast is too high for the ICW in the US. I ended up up buying a Lipari 41 catamaran from Foutain Pajot and I am super exited and happy with it, after 10years and lots of miles in the keel water. You get a huge amount of space, an open view from the inside much better than the deck solon yachts, they are much more stable, in particular on anchorage, the list is endless ....
The only downside is, they sail fast on half or down wind (I logged 20kn), not so much tacking against the wind. Second, you have to literally clean and wax two hulls. On the other hand, a mono hull with the same living space may have a similar amount of area to take care of. I would compare a 40' catamaran with a 50+' mono hull.
Wolfgang.Schau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 00:35   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why not? Oyster have been making them that way for 30 or 40 years, and Oyster yachts have been sailed in all kinds of conditions including the Southern Ocean with innumerable knockdowns, without a single failure. How can you say "no one can say they are safe"?

My own boat is a bit more conservatively built than Oyster (and Moody are known for super-rigid structure), but still the windows are quite a bit larger than in non-deck salon yachts. I have personally tested the windows in my boat under a breaking 12 meter sea in a storm in the North Sea, with full knockdown as a result. Tons and tons of water right onto my doghouse windows. Not a creak, not a drop of leakage.

If you can't say these windows are safe, then how can you say any structure is safe? Come on . . .
Isn’t there a big Oyster which lost it’s keel resulting in the death of everybody on board ? I guess quality is a little above Bavaria, but i would prefer Bavariafor it’s better price point
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 01:54   #99

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Looks like a nice vessel. If it is being marketed as a long range cruiser. Why does it only have 52 gallons of diesel? I just don’t understand why builders don’t address this. This will just be another “cruising” boat with it’s decks lined with diesel jugs. You can make water, but you can’t make diesel. My 47 yr old Cal 46 can sail 200 mile days and carries 270 gallons of diesel and 220 water. With the raised saloon design you would thing that there would be plenty of room for tankage. This is how they did it in the Cal. And the Caliber 40 LRC carries 240 of diesel. This is just the reality of cruising. You need diesel. 52 gallons is fine for costal work, but this is a very expensive world cruising yacht.
They are semi custom and the specs says from 200L upwards.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 03:38   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
Isn’t there a big Oyster which lost it’s keel resulting in the death of everybody on board ? I guess quality is a little above Bavaria, but i would prefer Bavariafor it’s better price point

Yes, there was an Oyster which lost a keel, Polina Star III, but no one died. You are confusing with the Beneteau First, Cheeky Raffiki.

Your guess that Oyster "quality is a little above Bavaria" is entirely wrong, despite the horrible embarrassment to the company (and subsequent bankruptcy) resuting from this freak structural failure. Chalk and cheese.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 08:31   #101
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
German Made Sailboats with Raised Deck Saloon Designed for Long Distance Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, there was an Oyster which lost a keel, Polina Star III, but no one died. You are confusing with the Beneteau First, Cheeky Raffiki.

Your guess that Oyster "quality is a little above Bavaria" is entirely wrong, despite the horrible embarrassment to the company (and subsequent bankruptcy) resuting from this freak structural failure. Chalk and cheese.

It’s might have been a freak incident. But the failure was due to appalling laminate construction techniques. The company was twice notified of issues in this area. It’s unlikely this was a one off problem. It’s just the others haven’t seen the problem.
Old 30-10-2021, 09:58   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s might have been a freak incident. But the failure was due to appalling laminate construction techniques. The company was twice notified of issues in this area. It’s unlikely this was a one off problem. It’s just the others haven’t seen the problem.

Oysters, most of them, are built like brick outhouses and cost a fortune, what, 4x or 5x a Bavaria of similar size.

Polina Star III was a 90 foot stretch of an Oyster 825. Obviously there was a massive screwup in the construction process PLUS a massive screwup in construction management/inspection. It does however seem to be a one-off.

I am not actually a fan of Oysters, despite having almost bought an Oyster 485 many years ago. But that has nothing to do with their generally excellent construction
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:36   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

OP, where are you?

Jim
An interesting thread from which I have learned a thing or two. So thank you.

I too had the same question as Jim. Where'd the OP go?

What do you bet that he or she is sitting back with a big bowl of popcorn and a beverage? Just waiting for the debate to die down a bit. Then their next post will ask for advice about the best anchor for sand/rocky/weed-covered/gravel seafloor.
elliowb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 22:16   #104

Definitely check out the Kraken 50. They have a lot of information and we’ll-earned opinions on what a blue water cruiser should be. Watching some of their Kraken 50 videos will give you an idea. I sailed her. She’s a great boat.
Wanderlust36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sailboat, sail, ais, deck, saloon, boat