Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 04:03   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Gladiator 33 vs Orion 33

Hi there! Long time lurking on this wonderful forum and now time to choose our first boat. We narrowed it down to 2 options: a Wauquiez Gladiator 33 and a Van de Stadt Orion 33. Both fiberglass hulls, pretty similar dimensions. The Gladiator has better nav equipment and has an electric bilge pump which is a nice extra. The Orion has a full set of sails and bigger fuel and water capacity, however it also has a teak deck, which seems in good condition but still making me a bit uneasy. Any comments, advice, opinion on these models are welcome!
Manana5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 04:33   #2

Re: Gladiator 33 vs Orion 33

Wow I guess these are not very popular boats?...
We are leaning towards the Orion now and researching ways to transport it from Netherlands to Mediterranean. It might turn out the transport costs more than the boat
Old 30-11-2018, 05:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What made you choose these two yachts and from a Northern EU location rather than say an ex charter yacht from Greece or Turkey given the likely delivery costs if you can't do it yourself through the canals.

You may want to add what you intend to do with the boat and the area you want to sail in.

If you are going to be spending lots of time in the med then some protection from the sun and a decent sized cockpit will be useful. Wouldn't worry about water both seem to have decent size tanks for the size if used in the med.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 05:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What made you choose these two yachts and from a Northern EU location rather than say an ex charter yacht from Greece or Turkey given the likely delivery costs if you can't do it yourself through the canals.
Initially I was looking at ex-charter yachts located in the Med - it would be the easiest option. They were mostly Jeanneaus and Beneteaus. However gradually through reading and talking to people I became convinced that the quality of these boats might not be the best - they are mass production boats and being ex-charters, probably have not been sailed and maintained with care. I read good things about Van de Stadt and Wauquiez in terms of build quality and hull design. I also have a friend (experienced sailor) who owns an Orion and swears it is the most sea-worthy boat he has ever sailed. This is of course personal opinion and he is very partial to Van de Stadt but he may have influenced us quite a bit Plus he has a trusted surveyor in the Netherlands whom we can use.

Quote:
You may want to add what you intend to do with the boat and the area you want to sail in.
Word. We intend to sail mostly in the Med for the time being (family of 4). The boat will be based in Greece.
Old 30-11-2018, 06:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gladiator 33 vs Orion 33

Personally I would opt for the Wauquiez..
Have sailed a couple and they are good boats right through the range..
Have also sailed and owned Van de Stadts.. again good designs.. however the killer for me with the Orion is the saildrive.. hate big holes in the hull..
Also the rudder has a skeg unlike the Orion which is also more oriented to club racing over cruising.
Yup.. The GLADIATEUR 33 ticks all the boxes for me.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 06:30   #6

boatman61, thank you for your reply! I was wary of the saildrive too and it is something we have in mind to inspect during the survey. However the Wauquiez might also be a saildrive - this was not clear from the posting and I have emailed the seller asking for this info. Do you know if this model only comes with a shaft or can have both?
Old 30-11-2018, 06:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gladiator 33 vs Orion 33

I have only encountered shaft drive models.. however the Pretorian does and I think yours may have one though sailboatdata shows the shaft version.
Depends on the first owners choice.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/gladiateur-33

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 07:08   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana5 View Post
boatman61, thank you for your reply! I was wary of the saildrive too and it is something we have in mind to inspect during the survey. However the Wauquiez might also be a saildrive - this was not clear from the posting and I have emailed the seller asking for this info. Do you know if this model only comes with a shaft or can have both?
I almost bought a Gladiateur 33 a few years ago, but was worried about the saildrive it had

Otherwise, the boat appeared to be well made

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-151167.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 05:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana5 View Post
Hi there! Long time lurking on this wonderful forum and now time to choose our first boat. We narrowed it down to 2 options: a Wauquiez Gladiator 33 and a Van de Stadt Orion 33. Both fiberglass hulls, pretty similar dimensions. The Gladiator has better nav equipment and has an electric bilge pump which is a nice extra. The Orion has a full set of sails and bigger fuel and water capacity, however it also has a teak deck, which seems in good condition but still making me a bit uneasy. Any comments, advice, opinion on these models are welcome!
Hi , are you still searching for a Orion 33 sailingboat ? I have one in good condition
saillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 00:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillant View Post
Hi , are you still searching for a Orion 33 sailingboat ? I have one in good condition
Hi, no, thank you, we ended up buying a Wauquiez Centurion 32 since we didnt find any good deals for the 2 initially mentioned. I wish we had found a good Orion earlier though! Do you have your boat listed anywhere, can I look at it just out of curiosity?