Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 10:10   #1

Boat: Glander Cay 23
Glander Cay 23

Does anyone know anything about the Glander Cay 23? I am looking at one for sale, I suppose it's a Herreshoff design. She looks fairly salty, I'm just not sure about the proportions, it seems as though it would be a fairly wet boat. Has anyone owned one of these boats, or used it for long distance cruising?
Old 15-07-2013, 10:21   #2

Re: Glander Cay 23

I doubt it's that wet a boat, it's got amazing beam... nealy 10 feet in a 23 footer, and a raised bow up forward. Probably pretty dry, especially compared with narrow old school boat like folkboats etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:02   #3

Boat: Glander Cay 23

That makes sense, I guess I was just worried about the sheer line. The deck just seems to drop so low near the stern.
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:19   #4

with that beam, it almost seems like it's an off shoot of a cat boat... I dont remember if it's real shallow draft or not.... Some real beamy boats can have a lot of weather helm....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 17:47   #5

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

A very nice pocket cruises that was made in Islamorada, Fl. primary for Keys and Bahamas cruise. I look at one and it was a little too small for me. Settled on it's big brother the Tavanya 33. Dooley Glander has since passed. but his son still has his yard. The molds for both of these boats are now gone, a huge shame in my book. The beam is part of the design bases, once you heel over and get on the ear the waterline increases ergo more boat speed. All Glanders were hand laid and Dooley was a very picky builder. They were available from a hull on up in any degree of finish one wanted. A lot were finished out by owners so you usually see a lot of variations on the theme. Although it was made as a shallow water boat it handles the open oceans just fine for a boat that size. One was picked up at sea by a Russian ship after being abandon at sea. I was very happy with my 33'. not too wet . I put lee cloths on mine and it worked well. PM me if you want. All in all a stout sea worthy little pocket cruiser.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote