Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 14:42   #16

Re: Golden Wave 42 - any info?

I was wondering if anyone’s had any info on the gw42 for sale in Maine. I read the add and it says about water damage and lining falling down. I’ve been on a couple salty dawg rallies but do not own a sailboat as of yet. I was wondering if i will be going in WAY over my head. Thanks in advance, Chris
chrisandgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 14:55   #17

Boat: 1985 Dawn 48

Hi Chris -

I read the ad you were referring to and would just like to help you compare to my own experience. I've owned 5 boats over the past 40 years in this order:

1) a 15' wooden Catboat.
2) an 18' Chrysler one design sloop.
3) a new 20' Halman double-ender pocket cruiser.
4) a 40' O'Day cruiser.
5) a 48' Dawn Ketch.

#1 I refurbished and it took me a year of steady work to make it sail-worthy. Unfortunately I didn't use bottom paint and left it in the water for a short time and then it sank at the dock because I didn't know what a bilge pump was. When I finally got it pumped and dried out I could hardly move it as it was covered in barnacles!

#2 I bought used but in great condition and raced and sailed all the time. Sold it after two years for most of what I paid for it.

#3 I ordered at the Annapolis sailboat show. Kept it at a marina, sailed it all the time as long as the weather was over 50 degrees and was the first boat I really single-handed. It made me a sailor. Sailed in storms, at night, overnight and using only a compass and charts. No GPS, sail data, depth sounder or even a VHF or cell phone. Sold it for roughly the pay-off after seven years (with little down payment).

#4 Bought used but well cared for by previous owner. Sailed ten plus weekends a year for ten years. Had AC so was able to stay on it and use as a weekend home travelling from the marina around the bay. Expanded my skills in sail and boat handling. Sold it for about 60% of what I paid for it.

#5 Bought a beautiful 1985 model fiberglass boat with a great ocean pedigree that the previous owner had spent 4 years living at a house at a marina (full time access in other words) working on the boat almost daily. Unfortunate circumstances lead him to sell the boat to me. I estimated a year of work to get it ready to cruise. I'm on year three. My girlfriend's only comment is this: "We never go sailing anymore (not true, we've been out several times together and I've been out about ten since I purchased)." Both of us had/have the same goal - to go cruising.

This last boat has been dry since I purchased as the deck was re-caulked and thousands of screws re-bedded and plugged by the last owner and much of the cosmetic work was done before I bought it, plus new chain plates. I've since completed probably 150 hours of generator and engine work, 200 hours of electrical and countless hours on everything else. I've also installed two AC units and am working on new refrigeration right now. And I've installed 5 new batteries. Try picking up a 4D through an access hatch just big enough to squeeze in AND pulling it out with your arms extended. Did I mention this was a boat that I though only needed a little mechanical work to sail away?

Moral of the story? If you don't know what a 4D is, you'll have a blast dealing with the "structural delamination" part of the listing. Not to mention you'll probably never sail said boat and give up sailing in disgust.

That particular Golden Wave would be great for someone willing to drop $40-100K into to have a nice boat that would be worth $40K when you're done. And it would probably be a great sailing vessel, too that you couldn't replace for $200K. That's the reality of any boat that you invest both money and your labor into. So why am I doing my boat, you ask? Because every time I board her, I think what a gorgeous boat she is and that she deserves to be preserved and back at sea. Plus it sails like it's on rails and does over 9 knots. This is my donation to the sailing world plus having the joy of introducing people to sailing that started with my O'Day. And at my advanced age I make enough to spend that kind of money that I know I'll never see again. If you are thinking of this boat as a cheap cruiser you'll quickly find out how expensive a discount boat can be.

My recommendation (and probably 90% of sailors on this site) would be to start with something in the 20-28 foot range, sail that heck out of it, bang it into some docks (or a red nun in the middle of the night...) and learn to sail YOUR boat. Not someone else's that you hold the wheel for an hour. Make ton's of mistakes, scare yourself to death a few times and enjoy sundowner's from the cockpit. Oh, and run aground, have the engine quit while in a narrow channel on July 4th weekend, and sleep at anchor on a windy night (while your significant other swears at you that this is the last time sailing).

Lastly, fix the head, engine, electrical system and anything else that fails yourself. And scrape, sand and paint the bottom. If you have ask the marina to fix anything then set yourself to thinking about being out to sea or in a remote place and there is no marina, parts or fuel. Oh, and worry about structural delamination every time your boat deck feels a little soft under-foot.

I wish you the best of luck. Take my advice with fresh ground Himalayan salt. And if you all want to go sailing - welcome aboard!

Mark
Ducatimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 15:36   #18

Thank you for the advice Mark.
chrisandgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:25   #19

Btrayfours (Bill). I know this is an older thread and it looks like Bill hasn’t been active in a while. But Born Free appears to be on the market and looking to see if Bill ismthe seller and if not if he can offer info. I don’t think I have enough posts to PM him.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 18:51   #20

Hello,

I’m actually interested in Born Free. She’s up in Rockland and I’m considering a visit to check her out in the next few weeks. Do you have any information on the engine? I’ve also read about wet core on the deck and the mast step...is it deck stepped? Thanks for any and all info!
SuperCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Slayer, and SuperCoach.
Unfortunately, Bill Trayfors passed away in 2019.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-214054.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:45   #22

So sorry yo hear that. Looks like he was an active member, abs this/sailing was clearly a passion of his. Thanks for the info.
SuperCoach is offline   Reply With Quote