Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2006, 17:05   #31

The other Possibilities

Mack: You are to be commended for planning & gathering expert advice from the experienced group here on this forum. Also for wanting to provide your daughters with the experience of a lifetime.

But in the midst of all that planning & loving concern, the potential stream (or river on some days) of comedy generated by sailing in close quarters for long distances with 4 women is endless. I could not stop laughing at the idea of being on the boat with 3 female teenagers.

You even acknowledge it will "definitely be a challenge" that may end up being the biggest understatement in your life. You could replace every fake reality tv show if you take along a video camera to record the daily events ..............and just think, you would make millions $$$$. So then You & your wife could sail into the sunset on the boat of your dreams while the girls go to college.

Have you broken the news to the girls about the upcoming voyage?
Have you factored in the cost of the barge w/massive generator to power all the electrical needs of 4 women?
Do you have a contingency plan for a hiding place on the boat when the estrogen crew starts bickering among themselves & then turns on You when you try to bring "common sense" to whatever the issue dujour may happen to be?
Again, Wishing you nothing but the best but wow, I may start writing a sitcom based on this idea so I can buy the yacht of my dreams. Fair Winds to You & your crew.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 18:24   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41
Whats the difference between a woman with PMS and a terrorist?

YOu can negotiate with a terrorist.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 18:49   #33

A possibility for two cabins (one large, one small) for three girls: rotate on a monthly or passage basis, or whatever system they want to use. Each sister gets the small cabin alone for a time, then shares the large cabin with a sibling for a time. Privacy & bonding.

This one compromise, if it is feasible in your situation, may allow you to look at a smaller, three-cabin boat within your purchase/refitting/provisioning budget.
Old 15-09-2006, 10:28   #34

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
I think it depends more on the women involved.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 09:27   #35

What are you going to use the boat for ? Long distance ? If your going to travel the world or do ocean sailing you wont find a boat for this purpose that does well in light air. Light air boats are on a whole to tender . If you want to travel with five how many cabins do you want. Do you want your cabin at the opposite end of the boat from the kids ? How much do you want to spend ? Do you prefer on rig over another. There is a lot for you to think about and plenty of searching befor you decide. Oh and how many of the group can realy sail, stand watches, cook and so forth. I recomend you look at 44 to 51 foot range. Used. Ketch rig . Have a look through www.yachtworld.com at Formosa , Hudson , Hardin or Vagabond . All of these boats are very sea worthy very stable and great live aboards. Best wishes and see you on the water.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:09   #36

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
All right Jack,

Seeing we're neighbors and all. What's it going to take to get you up here to Anacortes so I can let you sail my "Welcome to the dark side of sailing" machine?

Tomorrow evening we're planning on doing a quick daysail, can you make it? I'll buy pizza after the sail.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 12:51   #37

Working as always. Perhaps a weekend. I would love to head up to Anacortes for a visit. You could also come and visit us here in Tacoma. My wife Ruth and I live on a Formosa 51 in the Foss Waterway. 2nd on the right. LOL end tie that is. I hope to be sailing your area next summer.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 18:27   #38

Boat: Endeavour 42, 1989
Mack,

As I see the date your wrote your last quote you may have found what you were looking for! But in case not, I have a small boat, Tanzer 8.5, it sleeps 5 very comfortably. I spent this summer 2 weeks in a row with 3 teens and I was amazed about how much stuff I could put in there, especially dry food! Each of us had little space to store 2 weeks of stuff, wich is not bad when you are thinking price/space/sailing under small wind! Patricia
Saraya is offline   Reply With Quote