Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 03:22   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Good Deal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhov View Post
I've been aboard already, that's how I can vouch for the general condition of everything. I did the NADA search and it says 36,600 - 42,000. Bucvalu says ~40,000 - 45,000. This all helps a lot. I'm glad I joined this site. Drawing on the insight of the more experienced is the way to go. I believe I will make an offer. Thanks all
Good luck.
Go in low, and let us know how you go.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:28   #17
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Same here. Good Luck, and let us know.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:42   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

Good Luck! Brokers have the sales price information pretty well tied up.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:45   #19

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Couple things: check to see if it has the sheet winches next to the helm instead of on top of the cabin. That was an option (Mariner's Package?) on some of the smaller Hunters and it is really annoying to have to stand in front of the wheel to tack and handle the sheets single handed. The Mariners package also included a larger 3 cylinder Yanmar which might be important to you vs the 2 cylinder. I would also check the clearance between the stuffing box and the coupling. That could be the model that requires moving the engine forward just to change the stuffing box packing material because there is not enough clearance to move the packing nut to gain access to the packing. Was this boat in charter service? That could affect it's selling price. Good luck with your search.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 11:59   #20

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

here's one in the Keys for comparison.

1997 Hunter 310 For Sale In Marathon, Florida - BoatTrader.com
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14   #21

Thanks everyone for the advice. After getting another look aboard the Hunter, I have decided to pass for a few reasons. For it being a newer style boat, too many things I didn't like, things that didn't work, and all of the electronics were original, 16 years old. The other, and bigger reason is that my heart is truly set on a catamaran, but figured I would have to go monohull for budget reasons.
I have recently found a 1985 Edel 33 catamaran. It is bareboned, but well within budget even when considering the cost of a complete upfit. It is structurally very sound and sails well (so I am told by my very catamaran experienced friend who went with me). I have been on it a few times and visually can see where everything would fit nicely and have a good general idea visually of the final product. I have beckoned the advice of a few boaties around here and they agree for my purposes and wants, would be a good way to go. I have scoured the internet looking for info on this boat, but can't find much. There is a little bit of info on the next gen Edel 35, and I am familiar with the changes.
I am a newbie and have a ton to learn. I will not rush into the project and will continue to read, research, and consult as much as possible before beginning any actual work. I will have a complete plan in place before that. I like the fact that when completed, it will suit my wants and needs completely, and I will know every aspect of the boat and systems. I know that a newbie taking on a project like this may seem crazy to some, but I am a jack of all trades, master of none, kinda guy. I built a custom harley in 6 months, when starting, i didn't even know where the oil drain plug was on one. I completely upfitted a restaurant without a single contractor. I've done tons of home remodeling projects and even home building. I only say this because I know how big projects can get and will take my time learning and doing everything right. In the meantime, it sails great and can enjoy it while the project continues. I will just have to literally "camp" on it for a while, but that's fine with me. I enjoy doing this kind of work and the more I read about old salts laughing at us newer generations feeling like we have to have all this fancy stuff on boats, the more confident I feel I will be able to "rough it" just fine, maybe even finding that some things I think I want to spend the money on and use up the space for, I just don't really need.
So go ahead and hammer me, I can take it. I take all opinions and critcisms to heart. And if anyone has any experience on Edel Catamarans, please chime in as I cannot find hardly anything. Thanks so much everyone, and sorry for the long post
kevhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:25   #22

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I realize that my last post contradicts my original post stating I didn't want a project. But the more I've learned just so far, the more I think I can handle it. Everything else I look at I would prefer to change at least some things anyway. So why not start from scratch having everything I want, not having things I don't want, and knowing everything installed like the back of my hand
kevhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:20   #23

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Still keep us posted! We also feel in love with a cat (Prout 37 Snowgoose) but have opted to stay with our original plan of a monohull (we are still looking for our boat). I love cats, though, and can see a good possibility of having one in 10 years or so, when the man is retired and I want to hang in the Caribbean to be relatively close to family.