Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 06:55   #16

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Re: Got my First Sailboat!!!

Extremely pretty boat!

I would like to make a suggestion:
Learning how to sail on a 44 foot boat will be difficult due to the response time of the boat to fine adjustments.

I suggest while waiting for your boat to be delivered you get some practice on a small sailing dinghy or keel boat in the 10-20 foot range. This way you can learn to sail much easier since the small light weight boat will respond very quickly to your minor adjustments. Almost everything you learn in sail trim will be transferable to your larger boat. That way when you take your large sweet-looking boat out on the lake it will be a more enjoyable experience.

Regards,
Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 19:37   #17

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take that into consideration. Although it's my first boat, it's not the first time i've been sailing. Nothing this big but I've sailed on 27 and 31 footers and took the ASA sail class and was certified. I still need to get familiarized with all the systems like the autopilot, Nav and electric winches (used to manual).
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 23:57   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Hourstone

Beautiful! Congrats!
Old 24-07-2014, 20:04   #19

Thanks! The captain set sail today and the boat is on it's way!!! You can track my boat on Delivery, crewing and management for boat owners. That's my boat and he updates every 8 hours or so with something called yellow brick?
Old 24-07-2014, 20:47   #20
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Congratulations!

We wish you fair winds and following seas...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 23:05   #21

We motorboat in Lake Pontchartrain a lot, which as you know is actually an estuary. We go to The Rigolets and pop out in the Gulf of Mexico when we have time. From there you could island hop the barrier islands of Mississippi and Alabama.

Congratulations on your boat!
Old 25-07-2014, 08:17   #22

I'm very familiar with estuaries. I'm from Baltimore originally and it was beaten into our heads as children, every year in science class that the Chesapeake Bay is the largest estuary in the world! Her in LA I'm surprised how many people don't know that lake Pontchartrain is one as well. I can't wait to start venturing out into the barrier islands. I'm sure I'll need a dingy. Right now I just want to get comfortable sailing her and getting to know her on day sails.
Old 25-07-2014, 08:31   #23

Re: Got my First Sailboat!

I checked out the pics and you did very well! She is gorgeous--I love the lighter wood and the sleek lines,

Very nice!
Old 25-07-2014, 18:40   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!
Old 25-07-2014, 19:53   #25

Thank you very much. It was truly love at first site (from pictures). I still haven't seen the sailboat in person. It'll be here early Sunday morning. They're already halfway here!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-07-2014, 20:04   #26

As an update... She arrived this afternoon. Captain Andrew and his crew brought her in and later that day the broker and I moved her to another marina so she can be repaired and cleaned. Nothing major, just minor cosmetic stuff. Once it's done I'll post some pics. The 360 Docking is AWESOME!!! we pulled into the marina and did a 180 degree turn in 5 secs and then moved sideways right up to the dock. One onlooker was just gawking in amazement. During the short sail the broker schooled me a little on the auto pilot, and some other features on the boat. Can't wait to get back on her Wednesday!
Old 27-07-2014, 22:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Fulmitz,

Beautiful boat, congratulations! I don't know how tied into the sailing scene you are in New Orleans, but let me know if you need any help, or suggestions. We are in the inner harbor Pier 1&3.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 07:27   #28

Greg,

Thanks. I don't have any ties to the sailing scene... yet. I've been dealing with Murray Yacht sales who helped broker the deal. So far a great experience. I'm definitely interested in getting more involved. We have a baby comming this thursday so it may be a bit before I can do much as it's our first! Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 28-07-2014, 12:27   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I know Murray quite well, and a good number of their guys as well. Their primary outfitter (Brian Whitted) is as good as they come, and I would highly recommend him. I am not sure who is doing the work, but from what it sounded like you are at Seabrook(?) they do nice cosmeticre work, and are generally ok. For sailboat bottoms..

Lol I tell you what, I have seven boats in the marina, and the family has been here for decades racing, and sailing. Instead of me just spouting stuff just let me know what questions you have. I am more than happy to help.

I understand about the baby, but if you have Wednesday night free, and you and the wife are interested please come on up to New Orleans Yacht Club for some sailing and light racing. We also do burgers and a lot of friendly conversation. I would be happy to have you as my guests, and introduce you around some.

As for work... Generally the yards in New Orleans are ok. I would stay away from Schubert Marine and Mayer, but otherwise you will get pretty good work. I have a preference for SeaChest since they tend to be just a little bit better and easier to work with for sailboats.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 15:10   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If you are experienced on 31 foot charter boats you will do okay with the 44. Lake Pontchartrain is a great place to get acquainted with a newer and bigger boat. Just watch for crab traps. And avoid Sundays and also Wednesday evenings until you are pretty familiar with the boat cause it can get pretty busy out there.

I am on pier 3 and I live aboard. Just look for the high tech drop cloth and pvc pipe Bimini.

Tags
sail, sailboat