Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 14:35   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Got the Boat!

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice when I posted a few weeks back and let you all know how things turned out. Thanks to the input I got from many on this board I feel I ended up in a situation that is perfect for me. The boat is an '87 Catalina 22 in great shape with a new outboard and a very complete sail inventory. I guess she's probably not much compared to the boats most of you all have but she's great for puttering around the tidal Potomac with my daughter and that's really all I wanted for now.

So far we've been having a blast and we are looking forward to a possible overnighter or two later in the summer. If anyone has any good information on cruising the Potomac between DC and the bay, I am all ears.

Thanks again to everyone who read my earlier posts and gave advice.

Your Friend,

Forrest
fmooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sounds like a great boat to me. We learned on one so I know they sure are fun. It's mostly about showing up.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:50   #3

Boat: Catalina 22
Thanks Paul,

We sure enjoy her and it gets us out on the water which, as you say, is the important thing.
fmooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 15:06   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Cool! and congratulations..post pictures soon..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 15:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Congrats. The Catalina is a nice boat for puttering about. I promise that you will have fun.

Good sailing.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 15:21   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Way to go, fmooy!

That boat probably the perfect boat for you at this point. I still remember how much fun and relaxation we had day-sailing, moonlight-sailing and (rarely) overnighting on our ODay 222. There's a lot to be said for a smaller boat like that when you have other issues, like a career, to take up your time. The hours you spend when you can just drive down, jump on the boat, and sail for a few hours are precious.
Old 09-08-2009, 15:36   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmooy View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice when I posted a few weeks back and let you all know how things turned out. Thanks to the input I got from many on this board I feel I ended up in a situation that is perfect for me. The boat is an '87 Catalina 22 in great shape with a new outboard and a very complete sail inventory. I guess she's probably not much compared to the boats most of you all have but she's great for puttering around the tidal Potomac with my daughter and that's really all I wanted for now.

So far we've been having a blast and we are looking forward to a possible overnighter or two later in the summer. If anyone has any good information on cruising the Potomac between DC and the bay, I am all ears

Thanks again to everyone who read my earlier posts and gave advice.

Your Friend,

Forrest

I'd give away my current boat and then some to have back that old 21' San Juan if it meant I could regain some of that precious time that flew by sailing with my daughter back again. Congrats and take her out often.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 17:30   #8

Congratulations! You'll love the Catalina 22.

For info on cruising the Potomac, I think the Chesapeake cruising guides should help. I'd recommend this one:

Amazon.com: Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide (9780071363716): William Shellenberger: Books

And by all means cruise the entire Chesapeake Bay. Just watch the weather.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 19:01   #9

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Congrats! Sail and enjoy.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 19:24   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Good for you.
It should be great fun.
When I was in my 20s I overnighted (camped) with one other (usually) on a 18' Westerly Nimrod. I used to look at the 22 footers with envy.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 20:56   #11

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Catalina 22

Congrats.
My first boat about thirty years ago was a Catalina 22 and I have some great memories of it. When I bought it I had just taken a sailing class the week before and had no idea what I was doing. I was lucky I ended up with it. A great first boat. You'll have a lot of fun with it I'm sure.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote