Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 10:08   #1

Boat: Sailboats
Grampian Classic 31

You don't read a lot about the Grampian Classic 31. Why is this so? Are they good boats? This model looks like a good classic CCA type cruising boat. How is the build on these boats? Any notorius problems to contend with -hull liners, chain plates, mast support, hull integrity? Are these boats just another Alberg 30 or Pearson Vanguard or Chesepeake 32? Nice looking boat.
Reef_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Reef Walker.

I don’t think there were many GC31's built, and it was long ago (± 1965).

GRAMPIAN* Classic 31

Bob, a Grampian 28

GRAMPIAN CLASSIC 31 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
Sailboats built by Grampian Marine on Sailboatdata.com

CCA boats were not really good cruisers, nor even really good racers. They WERE designed to beat a Racing Rule.

Jeff H on CCA Rule-Beaters ➥
1960's CCA era Boats- Debunking the notion of them as cruising boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 17:36   #3

Not a lot of information out there. I wonder what past and current owners have to say about them?
Old 28-06-2010, 17:09   #4

Boat: Grampian 30
we have a Grampian 30 std mast sail boat. It is a great cruising boat as well as a consistant placer when we race, which is every other weekend!
rveldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:10   #5

Boat: Endeavour 37
I owned a classic 31 ( still do ) from about 1982. I loved the boat, very seaworthy, but the admiral fell in love with more space ( endeavour 37 ) and so my first love sits high and dry awaiting someone new.

The narrow beam of only 8'4" made her small inside and the long overhangs made a short water line...so a bit slow, but when the wind picks up, she was a joy to sail.

The molds made the rounds from Grampian to Cruising yachts ( Hamilton)
and the last I heard they where somewhere near Cornwall Ontario. Some claim the boat was made in wood also by a firm from London Ontario.

If you are looking for a smaller boat to single hand or with small crew you can't go wrong.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 15:40   #6

How is the construction quality of the first completed factory boats with the hull liner? Do they hold up after forty years of sailing? I was looking at a '65 that seemed to be in pretty good shape. Are they well built in the rigging/mast compression/chain plate to hull connection? They seem pretty stout. Any Atlantic crossings? Perfect storms? Any horror stories?
Old 31-07-2010, 16:51   #7

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
I own hull #11, a ketch rig. 6 months ago I tried to sell her, now she's getting a refit. As far as I'm concerned, she's little more than a big lake boat. But we'll see how she handles on the bay this fall. She gets hauled Monday or Tuesday after 7+ years of sitting at the dock. I will post pics.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:41   #8

I have a GC31 hull # 46 and sailed it 800 miles up the atlantic coast line. The hull is really solid and thick. I know some were built as kit boats. Some have no core, some have balsa, and mine has marine grade plywood in thin strips. So it may depend on the boat itself. Mine has larger shrouds than from the factory as well as bronze ports and all bronze hardware, so looks very classic. It seems backing plates were not a common fixture as I am in the process of making backing plates for all the hardware excluding stanchions. My mast compression post is a bulkhead and I have a pretty big dimple in my cabin top and have to keep a close eye on it. It is the only dissapointment I have had yet. The fiberglass liner for the cabin has no signs of age other than some light sagging on the kitchen counter surface. A previous owner also decided the cabin top support was inadequate and glassed under it an extra inch of glass/foam layer. I have seen other classic 31's with support posts near the sb settee or ice box for I imagine similar reasons. But, since the hull is such a nice hull, I think the boats are worth their weight and upkeep for coastal use but just not stout enough to circle the globe without some structural modifications and upgrades in hardware. We are thinking about adding a big stainless step plate under the mast to distribute load and then I would be more comfortable. Add nice backing plates, keep core dry, and properly back hardware and I wouldn't hesitate a non hurricane season atlantic crossing.
jeffls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:13   #9

classic 31 sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmoments View Post
I owned a classic 31 ( still do ) from about 1982. I loved the boat, very seaworthy, but the admiral fell in love with more space ( endeavour 37 ) and so my first love sits high and dry awaiting someone new.

The narrow beam of only 8'4" made her small inside and the long overhangs made a short water line...so a bit slow, but when the wind picks up, she was a joy to sail.

The molds made the rounds from Grampian to Cruising yachts ( Hamilton)
and the last I heard they where somewhere near Cornwall Ontario. Some claim the boat was made in wood also by a firm from London Ontario.

If you are looking for a smaller boat to single hand or with small crew you can't go wrong.
Do you still have the classic 31?
Peterhoegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:15   #10

Would be interested in finding out if you still have the classic 31.
peter hoegh
Peterhoegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:44   #11

I still own mine currently gutted and renovating interior again then on to exterior in a month
jeffls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grampian