Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 11:08   #61

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Jimmy Jaz - Reliances were generally "owner finished" and so can vary dramatically in quality. I looked at a very nice Reliance 44 in Deltaville, VA. The joinery was absolutely amazing and the interior layout was very much in the old offshore school; being quite tight considering the overall size of the boat. Unfortunately the asking price at the time was around $190K and was not even close to being reasonable and I couldn't see any path to achieving a "great price' with this seller. I see the price has now come down to $159K and I suspect the owners, who live in Canada are probably ready to cut the cord. Bet someone could get this for $125K - $130K. If all the systems are still functional that might be a good deal. Here is a link to the listing:

1992 Reliance 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 19:34   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
Jimmy Jaz - Reliances were generally "owner finished" and so can vary dramatically in quality. I looked at a very nice Reliance 44 in Deltaville, VA. The joinery was absolutely amazing and the interior layout was very much in the old offshore school; being quite tight considering the overall size of the boat. Unfortunately the asking price at the time was around $190K and was not even close to being reasonable and I couldn't see any path to achieving a "great price' with this seller. I see the price has now come down to $159K and I suspect the owners, who live in Canada are probably ready to cut the cord. Bet someone could get this for $125K - $130K. If all the systems are still functional that might be a good deal. Here is a link to the listing:

1992 Reliance 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
thats a beauty !what about the hull constructed of hand-laid fiberglass with a 1-inch balsa core. Is this good/bad ?
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:02   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
thats a beauty !what about the hull constructed of hand-laid fiberglass with a 1-inch balsa core. Is this good/bad ?
They were featured in Frenc Mates book, "From a bare hull". Highly regarded. look on Yachts for sale.com.
They range from mid $40K on up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 08:53   #64

Here's another one worth considering! A 1978 HR 31' Monsun

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1978 Hallberg-Rassy 31' Monsun Asking $44,000
Old 20-01-2014, 09:09   #65

Boat: Vancouver 27

The Monsun was very high up on my list when I was looking. I thought it was far and away the best bang for the buck in that range. The deal-breaker for me was the 5'9" headroom (according to the HR website). I'm 6'1" and I really wanted the luxury to be able to stand up inside. FWIW.

best,

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 09:51   #66

The problem with boats of this age is that their value is more highly correlated with their condition than their pedigree.

So it really depends more on what's wrong with it than the reputation of the manufacturer, and statements like "You could score this boat for this price are essentially meaningless."
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 15:29   #67

Letsget - I believe your premise regarding the value of these boats being based on their condition and not the "brand" is only half correct. That is because if not for the original quality of construction (and thus the reputation of the manufacturer) these boats would not have have received the investment and care required to allow them to remain viable for consideration.
Old 20-01-2014, 15:51   #68

Laika - according to HR the headroom of a Monsun 31' main cabin is 6'0". The headroom in the head (no pun intended) is 5'9". Go to the following link and scroll down to the "accommodation" section for confirmation:

Monsun
Old 20-01-2014, 16:19   #69

Quote:
Letsget - I believe your premise regarding the value of these boats being based on their condition and not the "brand" is only half correct. That is because if not for the original quality of construction (and thus the reputation of the manufacturer) these boats would not have have received the investment and care required to allow them to remain viable for consideration.
I don't think that because a boat came from a quality manufacturer that you can assume the maintenance was kept up.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 16:40   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I don't think that because a boat came from a quality manufacturer that you can assume the maintenance was kept up.
I agree but that's not my point. What I am saying is that if it didn't at least start as a quality boat then it certainly won't be one now. It is absolutely critical to emphasize both original quality of design and construction COMBINED WITH condition as a measure of value in one's search for a great boat at a great price.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:02   #71

I see the ad says no dickering on price though and with the boat not touched in 2 years... Hmm... I like that the ad specifies the work needed. If only all listings would include the "to-do" list.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19   #72

Here's another potentially great boat at a great price:

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1987 Able Custom '34 Asking $49,000
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03   #73

Quote:
Here's another potentially great boat at a great price:

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1987 Able Custom '34 Asking $49,000
found it, 1987 Able Custom Sloop/Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com this is a beauty, if only i lived near, this i would buy in a hart beat !
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14   #74

You could probably get it shipped to the East Coast for about $7500. Depending on final price it might still be worth it!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32   #75

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

I hope it's not one of the impounded boats in Mexico.

but it is a really nice boat.

Tags
price