Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2023, 06:51   #1

GRP hull and deck moulding has been on the hard for 15 years whats the implications

Hi, I have a query on a project boat I am thinking about but, I am not sure of the implications of it being on the hard for 15 years. It is a complete hull and deck moulding produced by a reputable yard, and it has never been in the water, it requires everything internal from scratch + mast and rigging, etc.

To my query, it is a GRP hull that has been on stands all it's life, I am assuming as it hasn’t been in the water the hull will have settled to the position it has been in all this time, what would the implications of that mean in reality?, the hull was covered I am assuming most of its life, is it still viable or shouldn’t you touch it with a barge pole?
kmd314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 06:56   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: GRP hull and deck moulding has been on the hard for 15 years whats the implicatio

As long as it was supported well and doesn't have dents in the hull from poorly placed stands or signs of sagging at the ends, I wouldn't expect any problems. If there are no bulkheads installed, it will be a bit less stiff, so I'd check things over a bit more carefully. But as long as it's still the right shape, you're good to go.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 10:43   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: GRP hull and deck moulding has been on the hard for 15 years whats the implicatio

Agree with rslifkin about the hull. Whether it's worth finishing is another story. You are going to have to buy new equipment to fit out the boat at today's prices. When you are done you will have a new boat that you have spent thousands and thousands of dollars (or Euros, or whatever currency you like) on, and it will not be worth much more than a used one of the same model that was built and finished fifteen years ago. If the goal is to go sailing, it would be cheaper and quicker to buy a used, completed version of the boat. If the goal is to have a project to spend money on for years and years, give the piggy-bank a whack with a hammer.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 11:12   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I agree with rslifkin, as long as the hull has been well supported it should be fine. If not then it's not worth it by any measure IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 11:19   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The hull may be fine but you’re gonna need a donor boat for all the hardware and gear to make this feasible and probably you can find a donor boat that is good enough to rebuild so that you don’t need that hull. Maybe if they give it for $1 it makes sense as you can put the two next to each other and work on the hull without needing to empty out the other one first.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 11:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd314 View Post
Hi, I have a query on a project boat I am thinking about but, I am not sure of the implications of it being on the hard for 15 years. It is a complete hull and deck moulding produced by a reputable yard, and it has never been in the water, it requires everything internal from scratch + mast and rigging, etc.
Its not that Fisher 25 hull that appears for sale every now and then?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hull, on the hard