Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 02:56   #1

GS 52 vs GS 45

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are planning a one year trip to the mediterranian and maybe crossing the atlantic. Further sailing areas are Netherlands, UK, Scandinavia.

We have seen several ships yet, and have come to the conclusion that the German Frers Grand Soleil 52 and 45 from around 1990 would do the job. Most of the time we will sail with the two of us.

Any thoughts on construction, safety, capabilities and other experiences?
Clijseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39   #2

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Re: GS 52 vs GS 45

Hi Clijseh,

I have a Grand Soleil 52 from 1991 and can share my experience so far. I have had her for 5 years. My cruising area is the Med with family and friends. First of all you should know that this is a big boat to handle. Operating and sailing it takes more energy than with a more simple setup like you often find in more modern designs. It is a “young man’s” boat. With this I mean that the deck and cockpit layout is such that it is required to move around a lot to trim the sails. The trimming lines are spread out between the two cockpits and on the deck area aft of the mast. Manhandling it in a marina with some wind is difficult, it is better to use winches for handling the mooring lines. If you are not happy with this, I recommend a smaller or more simple boat. Now, if you think that this just adds to the fun, I welcome you to continue to read.

The GS52 is an extraordinary sailing machine. Because of the above description of the layout of trimming lines, you will find that every trimming line has its own dedicated winch. The whole deck layout is very well thought out which also ensures minimum friction. All equipment is really oversized which make sure of easy handling, even if the forces are enormous. Note also her 90 degrees spreaders which makes her perfect for downwind sailing. You won’t have the usual problem with back swept spreaders where chafe is unavoidable. With the two-cockpit layout, it is extra suitable for having more friends on board as they seem to spread out between the two cockpits. The forward cockpit seems to be used a lot more than you would think and is the natural place for the first coffee in the morning or a late evening drink. We often cruise two families, total of 8, in complete comfort. Note that this cockpit layout offers very little protection against the environment. Moving around the big wheel and also crossing the bridge deck (the area between the two cockpits) in bad weather or when the boat is heeling should be done with caution. I am considering mounting extra hand holds on the bridge deck area on each side. It is also worth mentioning that the ladder to the accommodation is unusually high and can be a danger in bad weather and especially with children on board. Although it appears that the small ones don't look at it this way and climb up and down with great speed like small monkeys. Actually, the only person who have fallen down is myself . (Note to self: Hold tight with both hands when climbing up and down.) The advantage is that the entrance is at the highest level so big waves seldom find their way there.

The feeling of sailing this boat can only be experienced! From the enormous wheel you have superb view forward and you can sit comfortably on both sides or in the middle in the heeled seating. The touch is light, and the boat is well balanced and responds like a small racing boat because of the big rudder. If you have experience with for example modern 40 feet boats, in my case the Hanse 400e, the motion in sea cannot be compared. The GS52 is like a train and is just perfect for the usual short waves in the Med. The Hanse 400e had a quick and uncomfortable motion in comparison. In a typical open Ibiza anchorage, you will enjoy looking at most other boats rolling from side to side while your GS52 only has a slow and gentle pitching. Fuel and water tanks are under the floorboards, which adds to stability.

In my experience, build quality of boats built in 1990 is better than today. Another point which I find important is that every place there is something behind the interior wood, there is a small hatch for inspection or repair. That cannot be said about many modern designs, where you have to make new hatches to get to the stuff which need to be fixed. Note that the original keel base on mine was made of normal steel and was completely rusty. A stainless steel replacement can be ordered from Pier12 Shipyard in Ravenna, Italy.

The accommodation is perfect for a big family or two families. There are more than enough shelves and storage everywhere. There is space everywhere to mount all the stuff you want; bow thruster, generator, water maker, fridge, freezer, hydraulic sail handling, you name it! It is a complex boat and as always, the more equipment you have, the more equipment breaks down. You should have this in mind as well before you commit.

All in all, this is the dream boat for me! A boat to have as long as I want to sail. I love it all, the sailing, the deck layout, the accommodation. I enjoy every moment on board her and would not change her for anything.

My wife however, who also sailed with me on board the Hanse, found the sun tan friendly deck layout and the swim platform with shower on the Hanse very important features which she misses now.

You mention you will sail for one year with your girlfriend. Based on that information, I would look at the GS45 first. The GS52 may perhaps take up too much of your time for maintenance and you will perhaps find it very big for a couple. It is for example way too big to enter most cosy little towns and bays in the Scandinavian waters. It is unsuitable for the normal way of mooring in Norway and Sweden with the bow to a little nice flat island. It will be too hard to jump ashore and hold her lines, and too hard for the person in the cockpit to handle the big anchor which is needed. Tacking up a fjord or in between the thousands of islands is only suitable with more people on board because of the huge genoa, combined with both inner forestay and baby stay. It also has running backstays with checkstays to complicate the maneuver further. If you plan to do a lot of sailing in this area, a much smaller boat is more suitable, perhaps between 30 and 40 feet.

Or, on the other side, if you are a handy man who can sort out most technical issues and will appreciate the equipment and comfort you may consider this after all. Especially if you avoid the smallest bays and take advantage at her great speed and make longer passages and head for more suitable harbors. In the Med, and world cruising, where you very often anchor out and draft is not an issue, she is great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	178591

See Facebook link below for more pictures from our Med cruises. Feel free to ask if you have more questions. Good luck and please keep us updated if you find one you like.
Old 08-10-2018, 13:08   #3

Hi Rune,

Thanks a lot for your extensive description. They should pay you for this good marketing . We already look forward to sail with this kind of ship.
We are gonna have a look at one for sale, and as you mentioned the point of the keelbase, is that something which is easy to check on this ship and do you might know if this problem is only on certain building years or do they all have this problem? The one we are looking at is from 1991.
We also sailed the Hanse 400, and that is not the kind of boat we are looking for. It should be more fun to sail and more stable in heavier winds.

I checked your facebook, lovely stories. Great to see you can travel with ease with the kids on board.

Best regards

Harold
Clijseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 14:09   #4

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

Hi Harold,

The keel base is easy to check, just take away the aft most floor boards in each guest cabin and look with a flashlight. I think this is a common problem as Pier12 already had the plans for making it in stainless steel (but can't say for sure of course).

Looking forward to hearing how it is going
Old 29-06-2019, 07:23   #5

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

As a GS 42, anno 1990 owner I would like to add a few comments. We have had the yacht for almost 10 years and love it. The build quality of this range from Grand Soleil is from a different world. Boat built after 1993, or after the yard when bankrupt is not to the same standard. I had the honour to meet the production manager at the yard. According to him, every boat was made to perfections and every boat was sold under cost price. Boats made from 1989 to 1992 are therefore exceptional.

We had plans to get a new boat when we got her. I got past experience with GS 52, Swan 44, Swan 651 and others. Sailed all of them two-handed. You got more power, more sails, all of them are rigged more or less the same. Sailing two-handed is safe, fun and at times hard work but very rewarding. The difficult part with the bigger boats are marinas, mooring, take down the spinnaker and most important the cost of maintaining and running bigger boats. The cost is dramatically going up for every feet you add.

I am only sailing two-handed with my wife. Over the years we have done plenty of upgrades, refurbishments and modifications. We have spent 2x on upgrades and modifications compared to the purchase price. The list is very long. Some of it: new teak deck, winches, all deck gear like clutches blocks, backstay, standing rigging, removable forestay, baby forestay, windless, batteries, charger, key wiring, fridge, instruments, mast lights, internal LED lights, water maker and more. All work is professionally done by our local yard. We have also been very and through and honest to the original design.

My point is - if you go for the GS 52 or GS 45 you are getting a fantastic yacht. Personally, I think the GS 42 is best. At times I am missing the second cabin or bunk bed you got in the 45. It would be good for storage or when the few times we have had a guest or two.

Back to the build quality of this range from GS. If you take care of the yacht you got a yacht for life. Your boat looks better than most yachts, you sail faster than most yachts, more important you can take bad sea and you are safer in bad conditions than most boat ever made.
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote