Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 20:18   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
I cannot find a diagram or outline of the keel of the Haida 26 anywhere on the net. I don't yet know what I got. I'll take a swim when it warms up and have a look-see. I'd guess a longer fin keel.
HAIDA 26 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com say fin keel, 4'6" draft.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 20:19   #32

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"
Our transom has no room for an outboard because of the Navik windvane. I want a small outboard in the well, closed tight. Preferably 4-stroke for efficiency.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 15:56   #33

Re: Haida 26

Mo Alton -Yacht Design

how lame is this editor! - I can't upload a pic for you unless it is on a website with a url - sigh. So I'm not self promoting - it's just the only way I can show you a custom version of the Haida. We've had this Haida since the late 80's. Massively overbuilt other than the house. Airex core deck and coachroof. Has full standing headroom, 5' x 7" v berth, 2 quarterberths - semi coffin because of flip down back rest that form the head of the berths. The interior is radically different than most Haidas. Galley forward by the v-berth to port, head to starboard at fwd bulkhead - designed so you can wedge yourself between the sink and the head door and the gimballed stove is forward of that and unlikely to dump on you - at least you aren't right in front of it, though you can be if you want. Table is pretty funky - a 3 leaf that spans the whole interior as needed or drops on edge to floor level at the front of the berth out of the way. No hatch problems - we use a full on deck hatch above the bridge deck. You can read the rest on the website

- I just threw a Wordpress page together - it's not complete...but there are a couple of good pics there...

haida26 | Just another WordPress.com site

Boat may be for sale but I'm not really sure - I just have had no time to use it - currently it's insured with all gear for $19,500 CDN.
swsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 16:01   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsailor View Post
how lame is this editor! - I can't upload a pic for you unless it is on a website with a url - sigh. So I'm not self promoting - it's just the only way I can show you a custom version of the Haida. .
Once you've posted a bit so we can see you aren't someone devious the ability to upload will kick in.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 16:10   #35

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

That is the DREAM haida!

Did you do away with the drop boards? I like the serious sounding galley. My galley is a bit of a joke. I have the original brochure, but I haven't bothered to scan it. Maybe someday.

Here is some information that I had a hard time finding, so someone may be happy to see it here:

It is a cast iron fin keel. Stainless bolts go through a flange on both sides of the keel, then through stainless backing plates in the bilge. Glass is 1" solid thick at the keel. Haidas have not been known to lose their keels.

There are a lot of cool details about these boats that make them real gems. I am going to keep mine for a long time.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 16:38   #36

the bridge deck comes up to the top of the coamings then slopes forward at about 45 degrees as a flat surface - the hatch is mounted on that flat surface - you just step on that deck and over and through the hatch onto the companion way ladder - it has 4 or 5 steps - can't remember - it's all stainless and aluminum and is attached to the engine room door which swings to port...

So far as the keel bolts - they are a bit scary as are all stainless things under salt water. I found that all the small bolts were type 88 or 304 and all of them had crevice corrosion at the inside glass / stainless backing plate level. The 316 main bolts at the fore and aft end of the keel were ok. I replaced all the 88s with monel - haven't pulled any since then so I don't know, but I am assuming the most noble metal there is will survive ok.

Someone asked about the iron keel - it will pit - even a sizable amount, but you just sandblast to white metal and instantly coat with epoxy and fair with epoxy putty. In the interim you can clean out any spots and just use roofing tar on them (the plastic stuff) - it is also good for isolating aluminum from wood or other metals. No you don't have to break the bank on MARINE products!!! We also xrayed this keel when I bought it courtesy of a naval research facility, but the results were useless. If you are going to run into things exposed lead is the preference with iron next, but if you are going to worry about the keel falling off, an embedded keel is a bit of a relief - as long as you don't hit anything!

I am happy to share our experience of the last 20 years. Oh btw - I thought the original chainplates and plywood were really lame, so I replaced them with 4' long aluminum u channel 4" x 1/4" thick that ran under the deck along the sheer. The stays connect via inverted SS 1/2 or 5/8 diameter ubolts through the deck and u channel Those were tied to the bulkhead with diagonal straps and turnbuckles - total over kill, but not hard to do. The boat also has triple headstays, a flying headstay, and double backs. A lot of this wouldn't have been done if the gear hadn't come with the boat. Why triple headstays? Well the genny is on the roller furler, then there are the two stays for the twin headsails - one on either side of the furler, and then the flying one is brought forward if you want to run the booms'l with a single sheet when single handing. More windage perhaps, but no worries about the stick going forward or back - it is a cruiser afterall, even though it has done well in racing.
Old 03-03-2011, 00:07   #37

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Dang man, that is a lot of weight aloft. How do I find the Haida 26 group?

MY BLOG http://orcashack.blogspot.com/2010/0...-for-sale.html
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 00:23   #38

no idea - I was just looking for the specs on the boat for a moorage form when I came across this site - so far as weight - not a problem. Consider the Chinese junks which have a lot of lumber up in the air. On the other hand I've been on the racing boat design job where you drill out the rig bolts hollow and chemically etch the mast to taper the wall thickness as you go towards the head.

Most guys stain at the gnats - I used to also - not a big deal - just make the boat useful to operate and don't sweat the small stuff. Actually I goofed in the previous text - there are only 2 headstays with the 3rd being the flying one.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25   #39

Boat: Haida 26

Haida 26 Owners Group, Look in community, then social groups.
All are invited. Remember how you tryed to find information on these boats? Let's make it easy for others.
Michael.. skipper of the Ruby Jean...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:49   #40

My boat is in the Columbia River @ Warrenton at the present time. Waiting for a weather window leave the N. Coast. When are you going to join the Haida group?
..Michael,, skipper of the Ruby Jean...
Old 31-01-2012, 16:35   #41

Boat: haida 26 hull#6 flush deck
Question Re: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsailor View Post
Someone asked about the iron keel - it will pit - even a sizable amount, but you just sandblast to white metal and instantly coat with epoxy and fair with epoxy putty.
was wondering do you fair with epoxy putty before epoxy paint?
and would coal tar epoxy paint work ok, i've used it on pipeline intake stands underwater, with good success.
dwarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarford View Post
was wondering do you fair with epoxy putty before epoxy paint?
and would coal tar epoxy paint work ok, i've used it on pipeline intake stands underwater, with good success.
I'm in the process of doing this very same job, I sandblasted, then filled and faired w/ Marine Tex, then coat w/ expoxy resin, then barrier coat.
Doing the same w/ the hull, only soda blasting the glass...Michael..
Old 18-08-2012, 22:22   #43

Boat: Coronado 41

Help please. I recently bought a fine Haida 26 flushdeck. Sadly her mast is down and the rigging is a rat nest. Does anyone know of a rigging page available or pictures of one that I could use to get her back in shape?
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 22:57   #44

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Help please. I recently bought a fine Haida 26 flushdeck. Sadly her mast is down and the rigging is a rat nest. Does anyone know of a rigging page available or pictures of one that I could use to get her back in shape?
What info are you missing?

Are you looking to replace the standing rigging and needing to know sizes? Once you determine the wire size, everything else sizes based on that.

Or is it that the standing and running rigging is tangled and you need to know where everything is supposed to go?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 07:18   #45

Boat: Coronado 41

Thanks for your questionn.
The rigging is all there and in decent shape but basicly all bundled together with no idea what goes where. I guess I need some kind of diagram.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Haida