Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2022, 19:42   #16

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Halyard attachment question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This has not been my experience with such sheaves if they are in good condition and free from any sharp burrs or other defects. If the OP checks them for such things and remediates any flaws they will do just fine... as mine did on previous boats.

However, regular Sta Set double braid dacron is pretty stretchy, and a more modern Dyneema or Spectra (same things, different names) cored rope will do far better at maintaining halyard tension. OP, you might want to rethink that choice!

And finally, a soft shackle will be just fine as a link between halyard and head board. It is IMO an excellent application, for a visual inspection is inherent in each time one gets ready to hook up and hoist the main.

Jim

Sure as long as the sheave hasn’t been wonkered by the cable over the many years since this style has been used.

If you are going to reuse the old sheaves then yes they need careful attention for both smoothness and size. Any rope halyard that doesn’t fit down inside will wear faster even if the sheave is smooth as glass. Eg squeeze the rope into the wire sized sheave will wear the rope out faster than an appropriate sized sheave.

Think of squeezing a 10mm rope into a sheave sized for 6-8 mm wire

Ymmv
Old 06-09-2022, 20:34   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
I can't say I'm absolutely positive... I assumed I did because of the length of the D shackle, which is 3"
Looks like it should all fit. But you have a wire halyard? Do you know if the sheaves are for rope and wire? Is the wire damaged or old, or do you have a rope to wire splice you need to change?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:13   #18

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Looks like it should all fit. But you have a wire halyard? Do you know if the sheaves are for rope and wire? Is the wire damaged or old, or do you have a rope to wire splice you need to change?
Am I 100% sure? No

I spoke with other Fuji Owners and theirs was Rope + Wire, so I'm making the assumption.

The worst case scenario (as I see it) is that I install a new halyard. Climb the mast, then find out I have to change/splice the new halyard.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:51   #19

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

I use a lot of soft shackles, but I like to be able to remove the halyard with one hand, because sometimes that’s all you’ve got available ! That’s why those special halyard shackles, with the levers, are so practical. You can easily work them one handed, even if there’s a bit of tension on the line. Getting a soft shackle off would be a nightmare.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:08   #20

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Honestly, on a 35-foot boat you don't need any of those things.

• You could tie the halyard with a knot.
  • You really don't need chafe protection. Main halyards don't chafe much because there is no movement (chute is different).
  • You will also be shortening the halyard every few years to move the jammer wear point.
  • You don't need a splice for strength. Halyards on a 35' boat are sized for stretch and hand, not strength. A knot will not be stressed.
My last two boats were tied, since I had no reason to remove the halyard. The sail stayed on the boom.
Same for me I took the shackle off and tied a bowline.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:38   #21

We just tied our halyards using bowline.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I use a lot of soft shackles, but I like to be able to remove the halyard with one hand, because sometimes that’s all you’ve got available ! That’s why those special halyard shackles, with the levers, are so practical. You can easily work them one handed, even if there’s a bit of tension on the line. Getting a soft shackle off would be a nightmare.
I just can't imagine the scenario where one-handedness would be the issue or concern.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
We just tied our halyards using bowline.
I'm familiar and I've read many threads on the pros and cons of each way of securing a halyard.
I feel a soft shackle would work and a thimble or LFR spliced in may prevent the slim chance of a halyard running back through the masthead sheave.
Old 09-09-2022, 15:53   #24

Quote:
I'm familiar and I've read many threads on the pros and cons of each way of securing a halyard.
I feel a soft shackle would work and a thimble or LFR spliced in may prevent the slim chance of a halyard running back through the masthead sheave.
Never lost a halyard in 30 years and thousands of miles
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 16:02   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I just can't imagine the scenario where one-handedness would be the issue or concern.
Well, on our boat in order to reach the headboard and halyard shackle on stands on a folding mast step with one foot, wraps the other leg around the mast, hangs on to the jib halyard with one hand and reaches to the extent of one's arm to fumble with the shackle with the other hand. I really appreciate the large snap shackle that can be released with a one-handed pull on its short lanyard.

Were I tall enough to have enjoyed a career in the NBA it might be within reach sans step... but then I would have been able to afford a much bigger boat with a higher sail stack!

Jim
Old 09-09-2022, 16:40   #26

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Am I 100% sure? No

I spoke with other Fuji Owners and theirs was Rope + Wire, so I'm making the assumption.

The worst case scenario (as I see it) is that I install a new halyard. Climb the mast, then find out I have to change/splice the new halyard.
Look closely, wire can damage sheaves and wire damaged sheaves can damage rope halyards.

In these photos you can see the damage to the sheaves from years of wire halyards. The one in the foreground is the main halyard sheave. Now look at the dyneema halyard which has been running over that bad sheave. Next time the mast is down I will have to resurface these sheaves.

By the way, I have used this halyard shackle for 38 years. It is still perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-05 13.17.42 enlarged.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	264218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220909_182555.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	264219  

Old 14-09-2022, 16:56   #27
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Your picture shows a wire halyard, a steel thimble, an aluminum headboard with SS grommet. A stainless steel shackle is the appropriate connecting device. A soft shackle would be the only part of this connection that is less than robust and reliable.

Save the soft shackles for non-critical items that are in locations you can easily inspect while underway.
A properly tied soft shackle in dyneema would be much stronger. No chafe problem in this application at all.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 18:53   #28

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
That’s why those special halyard shackles, with the levers, are so practical. You can easily work them one handed, even if there’s a bit of tension on the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I really appreciate the large snap shackle that can be released with a one-handed pull on its short lanyard.
Yeah, this is my spare, it's an ancient Merriman device.
Perhaps there is something more modern out there, but this works fine, easy to operate with one hand.

Tags
halyard, men