Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 14:34   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Halyard restrainers to prevent wrap

We are having some issues with the jib halyard wrapping around the stay when furling/unfurling.
We are thinking of installing a halyard restrainer, like the one in the photo. That will essentially eliminate the risk of a wrap, but I would like comments from those who have tried one.

The usual techniques of getting the angle right work fairly well, but I worry about a wrap at sea
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 14:40   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Halyard restrainers to prevent wrap

I had that problem, my rigger installed something to prevent, and it works great.

I don't see a picture, mine is just a 'bail' installed on the mast a few inches down. The halyard is threaded down through it, then goes forward to the sail at a greater angle (to the stay) and so prevents the wrap.
smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 14:44   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

You can also try adding a pennant to the headsail. We had this problem on a previous boat and the pennant was a much easier fix than adding hardware at the top of the mast.

The pennant raises the foot of the sail so that the distance from the halyard at the top of the mast to the head of the sail is much shorter and it will not wrap. This is a fairly common fix for halyard wrap.
Old 01-01-2022, 15:07   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a cutter rig and both of my furling headsail halyards have halyard restrainers. I have never had a halyard wrap…ever. That includes 10,000 nm offshore. I have the Harken units and they have had no discernible effect on halyard life.
You can see my installation in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54ED1BF7-4E17-4C02-88DF-EAF960824C69.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	250631  
Attached Images

Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:09   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

A Strop or pennant at the head of the sail so that the top swivel is closer to the top of the foil. It sounds like your top swivel is too low.
Old 01-01-2022, 15:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Halyard Restrainer Instructions
https://gallery.harken.com/gallery/1...9ef79a4494.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 16:21   #7
cruiser

Lord Gords knowledge knows no bounds!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 16:56   #8

Used to have trouble with wraps. Installed the Harken halyard restrainer about 10 years ago. No problems since.
Old 01-01-2022, 20:18   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

It seems that there are a diversity of opinions regarding solutions for this problem. It seems likely that the ideal solution will vary from boat to boat.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tom-82131.html
Old 02-01-2022, 03:32   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

Another vote for the Harken halyard restrainer....since we've installed it some 13 years ago, no issues. Also, make sure your halyard is tight and the sail tape is tight......if it's loose at all it will wrap.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:44   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

When my furler was doing that I just put a small line on the bottom of the sail (tack) to get the swivel up higher. Took about 5 minutes.

Months later after I oiled the swivels the wrapping stopped when I removed the line.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
When my furler was doing that I just put a small line on the bottom of the sail (tack) to get the swivel up higher. Took about 5 minutes...
IMO: Most riggers would recommend putting the pennant between the top swivel, and the head of the sail [at the top].

Installing the pennant between the tack of the sail, and the furling drum [bottom], increases the chances of the luff rope coming away from the headfoil, and elevates the sail's centre of effort [slightly].

The restrainer addresses, both, the angle, and distance of the halyard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:51   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccubbin View Post
We are having some issues with the jib halyard wrapping around the stay when furling/unfurling.
We are thinking of installing a halyard restrainer, like the one in the photo. That will essentially eliminate the risk of a wrap, but I would like comments from those who have tried one.

The usual techniques of getting the angle right work fairly well, but I worry about a wrap at sea
Halyard wrap.

There are two ways of curing halyard wrap. One is to fit a bullseye fairlead two to three inches below the sheave box, and lead the halyard through that before making it fast to the swivel. This will open up the angle the halyard makes with the headstay to 10 degrees or more and prevent it from wrapping around it.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:05   #14

Boat: Cal-40

Last June I was sailing my boat from the Caribbean to Virginia and 450 miles north of the USVI my forward stay failed. My boat is a 40 ft sloop with a ProFurl classic 42 roller system for the Genoa. I effected emergency repairs to stabilize the mast and was able to sail under severe mainsail reef back to the USVI for repairs. Upon removal of the broken stay it was discovered that the reason for the failure was the halyard wrapped around the wire while reefing the Genoa. The rigger informed me this can easily happen and the results are always the same with the wire failing. I had previously removed that black plastic device that clamps around the wire to prevent this. If you experience halyard wrapped at anytime I highly encourage you to install this guard at the top so you don’t have the unpleasant experience I did. It’s a very simple device that comes in two halves. You just take the haves appart and with the use of the supplied machine screws it clamps on the small exposed portion of wire at the top of the stay. It’s designed to catch your halyard while you deploy or reef the Genoa you the halyard will not wrap around the wire and eventually the twisting of the wrapped line wire causing damage.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:29   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Experienced genoa halyard wrap and had a restrainer placed by rigger (see photo). Not a great picture but you can see the blue speckled halyard runs under the restrainer about 1 inch from its exit out of the mast. Important to note, if you have multiple headsail halyards that when rigging your boat you secure the sail head to the correct halyard (the restrained one). Learn from my mistake..thnks
PS...love my halyard restrainer by the way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genoa Halyard restraint 2020.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	250834  
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard