Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 15:58   #31

I love it! The real world.... for all we know Guido's victim is in the deck core!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 18:41   #32

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
What an honor and privilege to have Mr. Robert Perry with us in real time!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1 View Post
What an honor and privilege to have Mr. Robert Perry with us in real time!
I second that.

Signed,

Satisfied Tayana 37 owner.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:37   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
The early model Tayana 37 decks were cored with small squares of mahogany plywood as I recall. The later one built most probably had a balso cored deck.

Whenever I showed up at the yard I'd hear some yell "Quick! someone! take him to lunch!". We did not have a close relationship. But they were a blast to have lunch and dinner with.
Hello Bob,

I have hull #114 (built 1978).
Do you have any thoughts on whether the first method (assume mine was done that way) is more or less resistant to deck problems later on. My deck doesn't feel egregious yet, but I have always assumed I will have to do the lift, scoop, rebed ... eventually.

Kind regards,
Scott
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39   #35
cruiser

Thanks you guys. The pleasure is mine.
However, I am under the gun today as I leave for two weeks vacation tomorow. I'll have to catch up on the questions when I return. I'm taking my lap top but I really don't want to do any work. With any luck I'll stay too drunk to type.

Sneu:
I think that simple way of building a deck was a pretty good method. It was heavy but done correctly there was not much chance water could travel from one square of core to the next. I am not aware of any rampant deck core issues with any of the Tayanas.

ORION: I'd like to see pics of your boat. From what I see it's a great looking boat.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 07:43   #36

Re: Hans Christian and Tayana owners!

Dear Tayana Owners:

Any one out there own a Tayana 48' Pilot House? looking at a 1993 thinking about retiring and doing the ICW and near Coastal to US.

Have questions about the sailing ability?
Have questions do I really need this large of a boat, seems like a lot of nice room but not sure how are to get into tight anchorages etc.?

I have been on 42 foot boats in the open ocean and they seem to be the right size and 48 foot is not that much larger any input or opinions would be great information for me.

I do not want to buy a mistake
Thanks! Ron
rfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 08:45   #37

That's a BIG boat for your goals, Beautiful though. For the waterway...watch the mast height...be nice to have it at 65 ft or less and the draft less than 6 ft. Less draft, like 5 ft will be an assett getting into anchorages etc too. I've had monos to 47 feet. I felt the 47 was a little large for me. I kind of like the 40-42 size... but that Tayana is a beauty. ( i was originally thinking about another design...so edited this) Not sure about sailing ability, but I would guess with it's heritage it does pretty well for a cruiser...
Old 15-07-2011, 09:09   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I lived on a Tayana 37 for about 2 years or so in Florida. Good boats. I would have no problem (well other then money) in buying one again. Tankage rusting/ failing was an issue, but most have been replaced already. Lots of teak, Interiors were finished very well. Lots of storage. Teak decks would be an issue with core leaks. The 85 we had had plywood core, btw (installed a new deck fitting, but THICK decks

Oh the 12V panel (85 tayana 37) used 12 gauge wire daisy chained on the hot side of the breakers. OK in 85, way undersized nowadays. We replaced it with #8 or #6 I think. Caused too much voltage drop with the 12V refrig, etc.

Not fast boats in winds under 12 knots. But again, I would buy one again, if it was the right one

Was on a Toshiba 40, A very nice boat. THAT would be a great boat to own. Very Sweet.

I would vote for Toshiba first (by a mile) then HC's then Tayana's.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:15   #39

Re: Hans Christian and Tayana Owners

Looking at the 48 on line it's a very modern looking design, (if I'm looking at the right model!) Kinda like a Hylas etc, unlike the old 37 double enders.... that's why I modified my post!
Old 15-07-2011, 09:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, Bob Perry’s original specifications called for 70′ air draft, but many were built with Intracoastal rigs of 64′ clearance.
Perhaps Bob will chime in?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:21   #41

Yes you are correct this boat has the 64 foot mast and draft of 6'

Was interested in the sailing performance and any other operational details before I make a final decision on the boat.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks much!
Ron
rfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 14:07   #42

Boat: none presently

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I lived on a Tayana 37 for about 2 years or so in Florida. Good boats. I would have no problem (well other then money) in buying one again. Tankage rusting/ failing was an issue, but most have been replaced already. Lots of teak, Interiors were finished very well. Lots of storage. Teak decks would be an issue with core leaks. The 85 we had had plywood core, btw (installed a new deck fitting, but THICK decks

Oh the 12V panel (85 tayana 37) used 12 gauge wire daisy chained on the hot side of the breakers. OK in 85, way undersized nowadays. We replaced it with #8 or #6 I think. Caused too much voltage drop with the 12V refrig, etc.

Not fast boats in winds under 12 knots. But again, I would buy one again, if it was the right one

Was on a Toshiba 40, A very nice boat. THAT would be a great boat to own. Very Sweet.

I would vote for Toshiba first (by a mile) then HC's then Tayana's.

Not trying to steal anyones thread but could I ask you why you think Toshiba by a mile? Is it looks, layout, or preformance ? Or some other reason. You peaked my interest??
Thanks
Dave
Texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 17:49   #43

I think the thread flipped from a more modern 48 footer to an older style 37 just because they both happen to have the Tayana name. The Hans Christian is likely even more different performance wise than the T37 is... kind like the same boat as the T37 only even heavier! The Tayana 48 appears (based only on a very quick look) to be more in the Passport, Hylas, etc etc vein than the full (ish) keel double ender style.
Old 21-07-2011, 14:14   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

On the Toshiba or the one I was on, it had a more modern feel, while still having a fair amount of brightwork (but not too much) The interior is hum..updated I guess, and it has better tankage. Not really any faster on a sail perhaps.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 19:30   #45

Boat: none presently

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
On the Toshiba or the one I was on, it had a more modern feel, while still having a fair amount of brightwork (but not too much) The interior is hum..updated I guess, and it has better tankage. Not really any faster on a sail perhaps.
Thanks I really appreciate your opinion. I am not familiar with the Toshiba and wondered what attracted you to it.
Sincerely
Dave
Texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote