Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2024, 09:32   #1

Hanse 348 (2025) vs HR 36 (1991)

hi! Brand new to the site and relatively new to sailing.

After a personal tragedy I've decided to quit my job buy a boat and spend the rest of my time sailing. I am not totally novice, but don't have huge experience either. I will be traveling mostly single-handed.

My budget for buying and fixing up a boat is $200k. That will leave me enough money behind to sustain a moderate sailing lifestyle.

The plan is to spend a couple of years in the Mediterranean and as I gain more experience and feel ready for a passage, follow the trade winds to the Caribbean, spend a couple more years there and take it from there.

My dilemma is, should I buy a new run of the mill 34 footer like Hanse, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Bavarie, etc.. or should I go for a 30yo HR, IP, Najad, etc..

Keep in mind that I don't have the experience to estimate what the cost of fixing up a used boat would be, and hiring someone to do that for me, would eat into my budget.

What would you do in my shoes?
overbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 10:56   #2

Re: Hanse 348 (2025) vs HR 36 (1991)

I suspect buying and equipping a new boat for $200K would be a challenge. I've never bought a new boat but I think the quoted price will not include many things you might want for extended cruising/live aboard.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 23:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I suspect buying and equipping a new boat for $200K would be a challenge. I've never bought a new boat but I think the quoted price will not include many things you might want for extended cruising/live aboard.
Hmm. I’ve been looking around and the $200k seems doable(see attached). But if needed I can stretch it another $50k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	291453  
Old Yesterday, 13:59   #4

Boat: Pearson 385

The two boats you reference, HR v/s Hanse, are very different to one another.
Might I suggest you first define the mission for the vessel, and create a detailed features list. Then prioritize the features by deal-breakers, undesirable, acceptable, desirable, very desirable, must have. This list is personal to you. What I might find acceptable you might find a deal-breaker. Ultimately you must live with your choice, no one else. Using this list will narrow the focus of boats for you to consider.
Regarding fixer-upper v/s new, much will be determined by your own skills, tools, available time.
I am on my fifth sailboat in 32 years, and the mission has changed from the first to the current boat. It took me a year and thousands of miles driving to find my current boat.
MWGDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWGDVC View Post
The two boats you reference, HR v/s Hanse, are very different to one another.
Might I suggest you first define the mission for the vessel.
I am not exactly sure that’s why I am asking here. Would you please maybe be as kind and give some examples in what way they are different?

I mean I know one has center cockpit and the other aft one, one in beamier and their D/L are different, but asking about mission wise.

Wouldn’t similarly equipped be both enough for sailing around Mediterranean, and following the trade winds to the Caribbean? I understand that HR might be overkill but I don’t see it as a con. Sorry just asking so I can learn.
Old Yesterday, 23:53   #6

I bought a 5 year old ex Sunsail 35 footer.
I have used it for med summers for the last 12 years with no major expense or maintainence.

Buy something new enough you can step aboard and sail but old enough has depreciated a chunk.

Also easy to resell if your plans change.

That size is easy to single hand and great for a couple to life aboard or up to 4 for a week or 2.

And plenty of budget left to upgrade if you like the boat enough or upside if required.
azul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Overbudget the old salts and the blind will tell you that the HR is a bullet proof yacht and the Hanse is a more light weight contender. But I have surveyed plenty of each brand that have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific to Australia.
Azul b has the right idea. Personally I would forget the brand and concentrate on the yacht you feel most comfortable about living on.
Like MW says you might buy and sell the first yacht quickly when you firm up exactly what you want.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Overbudget the old salts and the blind will tell you that the HR is a bullet proof yacht and the Hanse is a more light weight contender. But I have surveyed plenty of each brand that have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific to Australia.
Azul b has the right idea. Personally I would forget the brand and concentrate on the yacht you feel most comfortable about living on.
Like MW says you might buy and sell the first yacht quickly when you firm up exactly what you want.
Cheers
Thanks. Yeah I liked the idea of the 5y.o. boat. Haven’t thought about it before. Looks like a sweet spot.