Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 00:09   #1

Hanse 400 vs Moody AC41 Classic

Hello to everyone. This is my first post here after reading tonnes of threads. It is amazing source of useful information for a new sailor.

I have a big question which boat to buy as my first boat. So here is my situation.

I am sailing with chartered and other people's boats for around 6 years now. I have day skippers license and done somewhere around 5000 nm. So I know how to sail but I am not really good sailor yet. Our family goal (me and my wife) is to live for 3-4 months aboard next summer in Med, get used to the boat, sail as much as we can. After that we want to decide to move aboard for 2-3 years or not, but now we area leaning towards moving. I would say 8:2 ratio.

One of the boats I was considering was Hanse 461. I know it is big boat, but I handled similar size boats and I do not see size as a big problem, except for up-keeping expenses and mooring fees. Than I started to consider smaller sibling - Hanse 400e. Which is perfect size, very fast and nice boat. Only thing I don't like about it - very small cabins and Ikea-like interior. 461 had an option of huge aft-cabin. Living aboard for several months (or even years) makes this option very tempting. So I kept on researching. One day I found that there is a perfect boat for us - Moody AC41 Classic. It looks amazing, perfect size, it has Hanse hull so its very fast boat, self-tacking jib is a nice feature too (though Hanse 400 has it too). Cherry interior is beyond my wildest fantasies. It is stunning. One thing what keeps me awake at night - price. It is almost double the price that Hanse 400, and I can not justify price increase for nice interior and roomy owners cabin. At least not 2 folds. So I am seeking your advice in my situation.
We can not afford new boat, so all the boats should be used and 5-10 years old.

Your opinion is much appreciated.

Thank you!
mindaugascap is offline   Reply With Quote