Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 02:27   #256
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Ok then, if you insistently applaud I must continue..
We potentially wanted to main sheet off this thing so that aft athwartship beam is 2 1/2" x 1/2". With the gussets it should do the job.
Nick purchased replacement windows for the main salon, that was a fun job last year. Turns out Mark Plastics was still in business, they did all the original Cal windows and every other boat in So Cal. We could have (and maybe should have) just cut the aluminum skin and plunked his windows.
Home -
I was a little concerned with the size of these unsupported flat panels so felt a window recess would add strength and I like the finished look too.
So we formed 1" x 1/8" square into window shape then cut out the non essential section. How hard can it be? Perhaps a mistake as that task was huge. The entire external perimeter is welded then run a router to produce a clean radius. Just short tacked inside. You must pay attention when introducing that much heat into all these large ares, it can go sideways fast. I've had some very good teachers (thanks).
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17 11 2017 167.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	164713   Click image for larger version

Name:	17 11 2017 171.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	164714  

Name:	06 01 18 005.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	164715   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 01 18 010.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	164716  

Old 24-02-2018, 08:31   #257

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
...We potentially wanted to main sheet off this thing...
I wouldn't trust it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:57   #258
Marine Service Provider

Terra Nova, you might be right about that.
This thing is unbelievably strong laterally. It wasn't our full intention from day one to sheet from it. As it started to take shape I realized just how rigid it became and kept the idea in mind. I've built a few tops and arches over the years and have sheeted from those points. Believe me the whole concept bothers me. When I see the latest production vessels out there doing that I get onboard (with permission) and push those arches and lids around, amazing how weak some are. This boat is heavy, imagine the leisure furl boom going full jibe, yikes.
That aft sheeting system that exists right now is awful and dangerous. I'm thinking of a combination of the two, dead ending at the traveler, pick up the two lid corners, run fwd to the vang then down and aft. I'm not sure yet, evolving. My biggest concern regarding sheeting from where it exsists now is a loose leg of the sheet picking a corner of this top during an uncontrolled jibe or just normal sailing. That would not be good and have some ideas.
We need to revamp all the controls in the cockpit too, it doesn't work well right now.
I welcome your thoughts or observations.
Chris
Old 26-02-2018, 11:53   #259

Boat: J42
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Boreal 52

Steadman, great thread!

I was delighted to be invited aboard the gorgeous Boreal 52 Nordlicht for a beer on a hot windless afternoon in St Peters, Nova Scotia on our way home last summer. I noticed they had reflecting auto dashboard folding summer screens deployed to partially deflect the sunshine in the pilot house, but it was still way too hot for comfort in the inner navigation area without the ability to open the center window. Lacking an opening port, a hard dodger with steeply angled aerodynamic windows becomes a greenhouse.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:33   #260
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Steadman, great thread!

I was delighted to be invited aboard the gorgeous Boreal 52 Nordlicht for a beer on a hot windless afternoon in St Peters, Nova Scotia on our way home last summer. I noticed they had reflecting auto dashboard folding summer screens deployed to partially deflect the sunshine in the pilot house, but it was still way too hot for comfort in the inner navigation area without the ability to open the center window. Lacking an opening port, a hard dodger with steeply angled aerodynamic windows becomes a greenhouse.
Hi BB. I am glad you like the thread, thanks for the positive comment and thanks too for adding your observations about the Boreal 52. I would enjoy seeing that boat up close too.

I am including some photos to show the Boreal 52 (and a couple of the photos I saw online were of Nordlicht. The photos I am sharing show the interior of the saloon, and one shows the nav computer in the pilothouse station (which has the sloped windows).

Photos shared here to show the boat design mentioned (I have no criticism of the boat or design).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8975.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	164987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8973.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	164988  

Name:	IMG_8974.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	164989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8972.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	164990  

Name:	IMG_8976.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	164991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8977.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	164992  

Name:	IMG_8978.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	164993  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:24   #261

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Steadman, great thread!

Yes I agree. That is why most sailboats have removable dodgers with boats like Najad or HR with a mixed solution: A small fixed dodger and a removable bigger one. In my opinion it makes a lot of sense.

Making an hard dodger with a good ventilation for hot days (that are many) it is not easy. Here a good example:

Another good one even if it was a lot more lateral "window" area and the frontal opening is proportional smaller it has two upper hatches for ventilation.

As you can see, on a sunny day all open and even so I would say that on hot climates it would still be too hot.

That's right way to sail on a hot summer day:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 08:33   #262

Here's another one for the mix. This is a shoestring approach to making a hard dodger by using the existing frame and canvas of a soft one that is nearing the end of is serviceable life. With the canvas patched and pulled tight over the frame i wet it all out with epoxy, allowed it to cure and then added the first layer of glass.

Old 28-02-2018, 08:52   #263
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw this metal Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) on a custom built metal boat (probably a Roberts Spray 46).

Notice the helm wheel position on the center cockpit bulkhead. It looks like a nicely protected position.

Notice the solar panels installed on the hard top. And notice the shadow of the boom which has a stackpack canvas sleeve on it.

Notice the stainless hand rails around the edge of the hard top. (I particularly like those.)

I am guessing the helm "captain's chair" came from a truck, but it could be a marine chair (which can be very expensive). It does look more comfortable than many helm seats I have seen, and as this boat has a wide hull, beamy shape with a full keel, it is likely the boat does a lot of motoring (as do a lot of sailboats).

With the center cockpit, raised helm seat, large windscreens of what looks like glass, it appears this would have good visibility 360 directions (with possible exception of the mainsail), which is something I think would be important for a boat that may do a lot of motoring in canals, etc.

I am sharing these photos here to help others visualize another build or design. I am not criticizing this build. Shared to inform or inspire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8993.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	165120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8992.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	165121  

Name:	IMG_8991.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	165122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8994.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	165123  

Old 28-02-2018, 08:58   #264
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty Sparrow View Post
Here's another one for the mix. This is a shoestring approach to making a hard dodger by using the existing frame and canvas of a soft one that is nearing the end of is serviceable life. With the canvas patched and pulled tight over the frame i wet it all out with epoxy, allowed it to cure and then added the first layer of glass.

I would like to see that, but unfortunately the photos are not showing on my device. I will send you some tips for uploading photos on CF.
Old 28-02-2018, 09:53   #265

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Saw this metal Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) on a custom built metal boat (probably a Roberts Spray 46).

Notice the solar panels installed on the hard top. And notice the shadow of the boom which has a stackpack canvas sleeve on it.

I think what you are seeing there is a reflection, not a shadow. Of course, shadows will happen in this configuration, which is similar to my plans. One way to deal with it is to ensure that blocking diodes are installed for each panel, if not completely separate controllers for port and starboard panels.

I like the detail of the curved aft verticals. Adds a little rakishness to a potentially blocky design.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 14:16   #266
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A nice looking hard dodger spotted today.

Seen on a 42 foot steel boat (now for sale). Many more photos shown in the "Boats Less Than $30K" thread linked below. See the previous posts for a link to the boat. It looks very nice.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2595074
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9391.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	166114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9389.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	166115  

Name:	IMG_9394.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	166116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9395.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	166117  

Name:	IMG_9392.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	166118  
Old 13-03-2018, 16:13   #267

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty Sparrow View Post

I'd be curious how that turned out. My dodger has a round shape and I was gonna try make a hard one with door skin, but it wouldn't take the compound curves. Pictures would be awesome...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 20:55   #268
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spotted this hard dodger today.
Boat is a Harley 39 RORC

I like that it has multiple handholds, something I consider essential.

This boat is for sale and in the CF Classifeds.
For Sale or Trade: Looking for an Adventure - Classic Cruising Yacht - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9424.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	166213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9425.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	166214  

Old 13-03-2018, 21:14   #269

too bad you didn't think of the window returns before you had it all together, you could have formed them right into the panels on a brake and only had the radiused corners left to weld in
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Ok then, if you insistently applaud I must continue..
We potentially wanted to main sheet off this thing so that aft athwartship beam is 2 1/2" x 1/2". With the gussets it should do the job.
Nick purchased replacement windows for the main salon, that was a fun job last year. Turns out Mark Plastics was still in business, they did all the original Cal windows and every other boat in So Cal. We could have (and maybe should have) just cut the aluminum skin and plunked his windows.
Home -
I was a little concerned with the size of these unsupported flat panels so felt a window recess would add strength and I like the finished look too.
So we formed 1" x 1/8" square into window shape then cut out the non essential section. How hard can it be? Perhaps a mistake as that task was huge. The entire external perimeter is welded then run a router to produce a clean radius. Just short tacked inside. You must pay attention when introducing that much heat into all these large ares, it can go sideways fast. I've had some very good teachers (thanks).
Chris
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 08:55   #270
Marine Service Provider

Ok, I'm back. Forced to take an unscheduled holiday.
Some great pics and very nice vessels.

ironvalleyfab, From your handle and comment I conclude you know what you're doing. It's not that I didn't consider it, just need to go thru all the options then pull the trigger on one. Yours is a good one and would have loved to fab/ weld those corners on the table on not upside down out of position. I had a short vessel access opportunity window so Nick still use his boat and high pressure weather. Building on the boat sure saves pattern labor and accuracy. I also don't own those big tools anymore so I'd need to rely on others to form, so time. The setup to form each one of those bends in that size panel, well that's time.
Other options; angle and fab corners/ form angle/ machine out large flatbar and form or fab corners/ machine out of one piece of plate.. it goes on and on. Always fighting time or material cost as you well know.
Couple of reasons why I'm showing this build is because I promised Nick and to show that with minimal tools and little skill many folks could pull this off themselves. Or maybe help a tradesman build what they want, even a non marine metal person.

I'll dig thru some more pics and show it's progress.
Chris

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood