Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 05:16   #331

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

I'll throw mine in. Sunbrella sides with a hard top. I can see over the dodger from the helm but can duck under the dodger and reach back to the wheel when it's crappy out. there is enough shelter to sit under the dodger too. Though when the canvas wears out I'll probably replace it with hard sides as the canvas cost MORE than the rest of the structure combined!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nevermonday.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	184274  
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:05   #332

I have had a number of compliments on my home built hardtop which we added to "Wombat of Sydney", our Beneteau First 47.7 in 2009. The final results have been very pleasing for long passages and sitting on the hook. We made our out of 3/4" Kledge Cell foam and 600 gram double bias cloth on each side. It is very nearly bullet proof!

A couple of things that have made it really work for us and I would recommend be considered on your projects are:

1 - make sure that it is strong enough to stand on(two men can stand on ours makes it very easy for folding sails etc)

2 - make the fairleads for lines such that each line runs through its own tube (this makes it such that the lines might get damp inside the dodger, but no water comes through, making the entire area usable.)

3 - make the windows in the dodger out of plexiglass (you can take green water over the top and not have it push in the window(we know another boat that had a window collapse and a great deal water went below)

4 - Have a overhead port which allows you to see the gooseneck for easy reefing

5 -put recessed cockpit lights in the ceiling which makes night time on deck nicer

6 - put a water-tight power box under the dodger which has both AC and DC outlets for enroute use

7 - consider having the top extend aft enough to create a dry area of a useable size, it also makes sunny passages more enjoyable

8 - For cold wet weather have sunbrella/vinyl side and back curtains that slide in place

Of course all of the above may not apply to your application but I do highly recommend a hardtop or hard dodger for live-aboard or long passage sailing.

For those interested in more pictures, this is a link to our FB album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d1bab1089b

You can never be too comfortable enroute!
Attached Images

Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 00:26   #333

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

^^^ All of that makes 300% absolute total good sense.

And great pics too, thanks
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 00:53   #334

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
I have had a number of compliments on my home built hardtop which we added to "Wombat of Sydney", our Beneteau First 47.7 in 2009. The final results have been very pleasing for long passages and sitting on the hook. We made our out of 3/4" Kledge Cell foam and 600 gram double bias cloth on each side. It is very nearly bullet proof!

A couple of things that have made it really work for us and I would recommend be considered on your projects are:

1 - make sure that it is strong enough to stand on(two men can stand on ours makes it very easy for folding sails etc)

2 - make the fairleads for lines such that each line runs through its own tube (this makes it such that the lines might get damp inside the dodger, but no water comes through, making the entire area usable.)

3 - make the windows in the dodger out of plexiglass (you can take green water over the top and not have it push in the window(we know another boat that had a window collapse and a great deal water went below)

5 -put recessed cockpit lights in the ceiling which makes night time on deck nicer

6 - put a water-tight power box under the dodger which has both AC and DC outlets for enroute use

7 - consider having the top extend aft enough to create a dry area of a useable size, it also makes sunny passages more enjoyable

8 - For cold wet weather have sunbrella/vinyl side and back curtains that slide in place

Of course all of the above may not apply to your application but I do highly recommend a hardtop or hard dodger for live-aboard or long passage sailing.

Fantastic project and terrific advice!
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:31   #335

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Wombat, I rarely see a good looking hard dodger on a mono, yours looks great,well done.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 17:40   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Wombat, I rarely see a good looking hard dodger on a mono, yours looks great,well done.
I was not interested in having a "box on top", so we did a lot of silhouettes on the boat and got back 50 ft to see how it looked. We did that from all angles to end up with the shape we went with. The biggest compliment that we got was when an Oyster owner asked if they could take a number of photos to use in getting one made for their boat! Don't know if they did or not, but it was nice.

Anyway, thanks for the comment. By the way, now I would not consider sailing a passage without it.....even if it looked like a "box on top".
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:01   #337
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post

Thanks for adding your nice Hard Dodger to the mix.
I like the way it looks. Nice and smooth and sleek shape. .
I also looked at all of the photos via your link above. Nice to see the build process (and even the floating of it on water).

Thanks for adding your text tips too.

I am curious about something, which I could not determine from the photos (too small).

Does your Hard Dodger have some kind of handhold on the outside so one can hold onto it when going forward? Perhaps a stainless hand rail? I could not see one in the photos shared so far. My opinion is that a good handrail is very helpful when going forward around a dodger (soft or hard).

Thanks again for contributing to the discussion.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:37   #338

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Hi Steadman

I came across this google group pictures that has some interesting hard dodgers for review.

I couldn't figure out how to copy some of the better pictures to post here.

But here is the link:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...svbiwucTBYeaYs
Old 10-04-2019, 09:09   #339

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Surprised nobody has posted a Sundeer. I am envious of these. Seems well designed and attractive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sundeer dodger.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	189802   Click image for larger version

Name:	sundeer dodger 2.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	189803  

sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:48   #340

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Surprised nobody has posted a Sundeer. I am envious of these. Seems well designed and attractive.

I don't think that's a factory one on that Sundeer (maybe they evolved over the years?)... it's a little too squared off compared to others. Able/Morris Apogee is another nicely designed set-up with almost pilothouse level of room.

We're currently in the process of putting the canvas front and side on our hard top dodger. Man, getting canvas right is much harder than the little glass work it would have taken to do a completely hard dodger. Regrets

Matt
Old 10-04-2019, 10:17   #341

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We're currently in the process of putting the canvas front and side on our hard top dodger. Man, getting canvas right is much harder than the little glass work it would have taken to do a completely hard dodger. Regrets
Yeah ain't that the truth ^^^. Plus the canvas is always at the risk of getting wrecked sooner and/or easier, or can just plain look 'old' quicker.

After a lot of years I think I lean in the direction of considering opening, folding, retractable, and/or removable panels/windows/hatches on a hard dodger if at all possible.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 17:28   #342

Here is a wet boat solid dodger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hans-christian-48t-350872_3e.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	190548   Click image for larger version

Name:	hans-christian-48t-350872_42e.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	190549  

Name:	hans-christian-48t-350872_15e.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	190550  
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 18:01   #343

A prototype for an Amel 54?

I like Amel designs, but this has gotta take the cake

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amel 54 port side .jpg
Views:	222
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	190561   Click image for larger version

Name:	amel 54.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	190562  

Name:	amel 54 2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	190563   Click image for larger version

Name:	amel 54 interior .jpg
Views:	236
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	190564  

Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:20   #344

Boat: C&C 30

This is a really helpful thread that I will use when building my hard dodger. Thanks for posting.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 17:50   #345
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here's a good video of a hard dodger build. Every step explained and a good result.

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood