Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 03:12   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
This year I first want to try to give the Dodger more appeal by painting the window frame black as in the following photo shop impression.
Rather than paint the frames which will look dreadful in a couple of years especially if the frames are aluminium why not try having them plastic wrapped.

Watched a tv show the other night were they wrapped a VW van in a funky plastic sheet. Done by professionals it looked really good. this way you would get nice straight edges and a tough finish which won't peel.

I believe the Clipper round the world yachts are also vinyl wrapped for the sponsors colours and advertising.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/v...ats-hull-21623
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl Wrap.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	134666  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:23   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

You have probably seen this article Steady. It is a diy dodger made with stitch and glue construction.
The design looks right to me. Not too tall, deep enough to sit behind and looks "balanced" with the boat.

How to Build a Hard-top Dodger - Sail Magazine
Old 02-11-2016, 05:59   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dodger and Bimini's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
A lot of CF cruisers including myself have made Dodgers and Bimini's out of AZEK sheets.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post960180
Stands up to harsh weather
Resists stains, scratches, and fading
Quick and easy installation
Resists mold, mildew, and moisture damage
No cupping, rotting, or splitting
Suitable for ground contact
UV protection inside and out
Does not require paint for protection, but easily accepts paint
Covered by a 25-year limited warranty
Available in White in Traditional finish
Thanks for posting the info and the photo.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:10   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Rather than paint the frames which will look dreadful in a couple of years especially if the frames are aluminium why not try having them plastic wrapped.

Watched a tv show the other night were they wrapped a VW van in a funky plastic sheet. Done by professionals it looked really good. this way you would get nice straight edges and a tough finish which won't peel.

I believe the Clipper round the world yachts are also vinyl wrapped for the sponsors colours and advertising.

Vinyl wrap your boat's hull - Practical Boat Owner
Pete,
Thanks for mentioning that.
I am a professional artist and photographer and like "Image wraps" very much. I like to see creative graphics or art applied or shown on vehicles and boats and I admire good design and colorful boats. . It is something I think I may do to my own boat if I get a more modern style (typical GRP) white boat, instead of a traditional styled boat. From the research I have done for vehicle use, the wrap material is long lasting and wears well despite repeated washing and high speed winds (highway speed). So I think could be a good application. We will see!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:18   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This is the VW van they did. I was impressed how they were able to roll the vinyl around the edges and follow the seems in the body work with the minimum of cuts. A hot air gun gave just enough stretch.

Just pondering over glass or acrylic windows? and how to hold it into a ply or GRP sheet without engineering expensive frames.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VW Van.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	134678  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:27   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
You have probably seen this article Steady. It is a diy dodger made with stitch and glue construction.
The design looks right to me. Not too tall, deep enough to sit behind and looks "balanced" with the boat.

How to Build a Hard-top Dodger - Sail Magazine
Thanks for adding that link to the discussion.

The DYI project has a nice result.

Here are a few excerpts:

"Looking for a little more protection from the elements onboard my Najad 343, Panthalassa, I built a hard dodger for her. It turned out to be one of the best additions I ever made to my boat in terms of comfort and convenience. The hard dodger helped me stay warmer and dryer than my previous soft dodger would have allowed during my trips up and down the Eastern Seaboard from Cape Cod down to Miami and into the Bahamas and Caribbean.

The additional protection of the hard dodger provided dry space for my laptop, which I use for navigation in most coastal conditions. This, in turn, allows me to forego the need for an electronic chartplotter in the cockpit, even when cruising offshore. It also keeps the companionway dry at anchor and at sea in all but the most severe weather.

"The build process for this job begins with creating a cardboard prototype, which will be used to develop templates. If you have an old dodger and you’re happy with its layout, then the best way to go is to use the original shape as a starting point and improve on it based on your specific needs. My Najad’s factory-installed windscreen made a solid foundation."
----------------

Steady NOTES!

1. this dodger was built as a top cover based on or extending from a factory installed rigid windscreen that is a feature seen on the Najad and Hallberg-Rassy boats.

Having that factory installed windscreen would be a big plus, eliminating the complex issue of DIY build of the same.

2. The author mentions that the dodger increases the protection of his laptop or electronics. I think that is another good reason for any well made Hard Dodger.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0965.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	134679  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:34   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
This is the VW van they did. I was impressed how they were able to roll the vinyl around the edges and follow the seems in the body work with the minimum of cuts. A hot air gun gave just enough stretch.

Just pondering over glass or acrylic windows? and how to hold it into a ply or GRP sheet without engineering expensive frames.

Pete
AFAIK, it is very important to have a very smooth surface for proper adhesion without bubbles. I suspect some textured or pebbled plastics could pose a problem. As you probably saw in the video, a rubber or plastic squeegee is used to push a few small bubbles out from under the material.

--------

There is a similar vinyl wrap material that is perforated with tiny holes, and is used over window glass, allowing one to see "out" though with some loss of light and clarity. This is used on car windows very successfully.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:12   #38
cruiser

Steady,

There are times and situations where a hard dodger would not be desireable. When docking in close quarters it's nice to be able to lower the dodger for a better view. And when mooring the boat in a location where the stern will face winds such as a bora or mistral. You don't want anything on deck that will catch the wind and cause the boat to get banged around at the dock.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:18   #39

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
..................2. The author mentions that the dodger increases the protection of his laptop or electronics. I think that is another good reason for any well made Hard Dodger.............
For me it would not directly be the best place for sensitive electronics as my Dodger has openings for the Running Rigging.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005a.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	134683   Click image for larger version

Name:	006a.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	134684  

Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:37   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

plans so far for mine include electronics on the overhead. out of the way and elevated.
even for rainy times, with sideways rain, they will be protected, to a 60 degree angle to the water line, as canes make boats knock over in slip. especially when packing 215 mph winds as did patricia, october 2015.
i am designing mine akin to fisher yachts styling. the obstructions to the wind(glass or plastic) will be removable or will raise and secure to protect the electronix(--still drawing board with this) and compatible with screens i plan on creating. for a cane i hope to have created a drop down plastic cover for the companionway and coachhouse roof to keep fresh water off, and out, and allow the winds to pass thru unhampered.
freeboard and windage matters not in a good stiff cane blow.
it will ALL be blown over. btdt
even with everything--both booms dropped--as low as possible, my boat was held in knock down against the dock during patricia, at a 60 degree angle to water. she'd-a gone over had the dock not been there (how i lost my boarding ladder)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:50   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Steady,

There are times and situations where a hard dodger would not be desireable. When docking in close quarters it's nice to be able to lower the dodger for a better view. And when mooring the boat in a location where the stern will face winds such as a bora or mistral. You don't want anything on deck that will catch the wind and cause the boat to get banged around at the dock.
Thanks for adding that point.

I will add this to my list of Dodger Design Principles: Something to keep in mind for any dodger is what affect it has on windage.

Every thing about boats is a compromise.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
For me it would not directly be the best place for sensitive electronics as my Dodger has openings for the Running Rigging.
Good Point.

Thanks for adding the photos with circle to show the ports for lines. When you can, please add a photo of the FRONT and SIDE of your dodger. It looks like a nice one from what I can see. I like the handholds. Also, please let us know if it was a "ready made" dodger, custom made, a kit, or what. And if an add-on item, how much and source may help others.

I wondered about this when looking at numerous Dodgers, both soft and hard. Some have larger openings in front at the base to allow cabin top lines to reach winches.

I did not expect to put a laptop on the cabintop (as described in an earlier linked article), but expect more "weather proof" electronics such as a ChartPlotter or an iPad in a water resistant case would be good there. Given how many cruisers are using iPads and tablets for navigation, I expect that is common. But, there are also many using netbooks and laptops with associated software too.

This is a good thing to keep in mind and I will add it to my list of Dodger Design Principles:
"Green Water comes with force and will find its way into small openings."
Old 02-11-2016, 08:49   #43

Boat: Rafiki 37

My current dodger is terrible and falling apart and I want to replace it with a hard dodger next year - low enough I can see over the top of it while standing in the cockpit.

I may try to reuse the existing SS framing
Old 02-11-2016, 08:59   #44

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

For me the Choice of a hard dodger is about economics. A soft dodger is easier to make look pretty if you find the right canvas worker, But if you're starting from scratch, man is a soft dodger expensive!! On my boat the dodger would be almost 9ft wide and the quotes I've got so far at up past $3k! With plywood, glass and plexi I've calculated that my hard dodger will cost me under $1500 CAD to build once!

I've been working on my design on and off all summer and by chance ran across the Storm petrel blog. It turns out I have already incorporated most of his ideas into my design. My dodger will only be sitting headroom as I want it to enhance the look. For me I need to be able to see OVER the dodger on a normal day so that means it will be low. yes a bit of a head banger if you're not careful.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15   #45

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
........ When you can, please add a photo of the FRONT and SIDE of your dodger. It looks like a nice one from what I can see. I like the handholds. Also, please let us know if it was a "ready made" dodger, custom made, a kit, or what. And if an add-on item, how much and source may help others........
My Dodger is homemade by the PO, its made from 15mm Marine Ply - Epoxy Glassed. The highest point is 147cm measured from the cockpit floor, add another 7cm for the handrail.

I can easily look over it and its a superb protection for the elements sitting behind it.

As my VDS 34 is a steel build, this Wood/Epoxy Dodger also houses my magnet Sestrel Compass far enough from the steel casco.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	134692   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	134693  

Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags