Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 14:34   #76

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

An Outbound 46 was mentioned previously in this thread, but the boat that first got me thinking about one was the Outbound 52. The design was well thought out and functional, with enough protection but without being an obstruction, you still have a good sight line above it but good protection below. It also flows well with the lines of the boat.
I have a center cockpit boat myself and am looking to build a hard dodger this winter, although my soft dodger is in good shape I know it will eventually need to be replaced, for now I can use it for a good model to start from. I will be doing this for all the same reasons listed in this thread, a good place for solar panels, good mounting point for hand holds as well as a good place to mount instruments, etc, etc.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 14:35   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #15

Dodger Design Principle:

"Will the dodger design and strength support solar panels?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	134742  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 14:39   #78
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
This one is pretty cool.

Reminds me of a glass greenhouse.

But, I like the boat and would live with the dodger. As I recall there was an article or post that described sailing that boat and what it was like under the dodger (warm, dry, pleasant, roomy). I don't recall the marque of the boat, but seem to recall WEAVIS posting about it and that it was in the Netherlands or Germany. Dutch built boat as I recall. But I could be wrong, as my memory is not what it used to be when I was younger.
Old 02-11-2016, 14:44   #79

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hard Dodger Design #14

Dodger Design Principle:

"Will the dodger design and location interfere with the operation of your boat's traveler?"

Look at the position of the traveler on the Van de Stadt 47 Samoa from CF member Estarzinger.

A beautiful original Van de Stadt designed Dodger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dodger.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	134744  
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 14:45   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #16

Dodger Design Principle:

"Will the dodger design look too big on your boat?"

"Will the dodger design look fitting for the styling of your boat design?"

"If your boat features curves in the cabin or combing or stern, will your dodger have similar curves or will it have angles and flat surfaces?"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	134743  
Old 02-11-2016, 14:50   #81
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Look at the position of the traveler on the Van de Stadt 47 Samoa from CF member Estarzinger.

A beautiful original Van de Stadt designed Dodger.
I agree! I was going to post that in a minute.

Hard Dodger Design #17

Dodger Design Principle

"Will the hard dodger structural support strength allow a dodger top traveler?"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	134745  
Old 02-11-2016, 15:05   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #18 & #19. The Woody Look

Dodger Design Principle:

"Will the dodger surface finish (color, pattern, materials) match or clash with your boat's topside paint scheme, materials, or design?"

"If your boat features curves in the cabin or combing or stern, will your dodger have similar curves or will it have angles and flat surfaces?"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0996.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	134746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	134747  

Old 02-11-2016, 15:10   #83
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #20. "The Tank"

Dodger Design Principle:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	134748  
Old 02-11-2016, 15:10   #84

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Steady, BigNickMontana has one on his ol' Spencer too.. I can't find a good shot of it from the outside but there is one here of it from the inside:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-163941-2.html
I think it's post 23
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 15:15   #85
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #21 Large Solar Panel Support

Notice this Hard Dodger is long enough to support a large solar panel length and has handholds.

My Opinion: I like the length of this dodger top, the long stainless handholds too. I prefer to see stainless handhold tubing, rather than wood, to reduce maintenance. I also like that with the long tubes, you can move your hand along the length of the tube/handhold without having to completely release your grip on the handhold. I also like to see them near the edge of the dodger top or on the side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0993.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	134749  
Old 02-11-2016, 15:32   #86

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Reminds me of a glass greenhouse.

But, I like the boat and would live with the dodger. As I recall there was an article or post that described sailing that boat and what it was like under the dodger (warm, dry, pleasant, roomy). I don't recall the marque of the boat, but seem to recall WEAVIS posting about it and that it was in the Netherlands or Germany. Dutch built boat as I recall. But I could be wrong, as my memory is not what it used to be when I was younger.
It's currently "sale pending" on yachtworld.com. Build looks to be a very high quality. At first I wondered about it, but for high latitudes I think it would be nice. Absolute cooker in the tropics though. I'd love to read more about it. Maybe I'll try digging for the thread/review you mentioned.

My dodger is completely in tatters. I am either going to buy new canvas and sew it myself, or take the hard dodger route. I haven't decided yet. It needs to look good though. Too many hard dodgers miss the mark. It's good to see all the different results and ideas from this thread. Please everyone, keep them coming!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:24   #87

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Excuse me for only reading the first 10 posts of the 86 currently showing, but so far I see no mention of windage.
I have a small boat of 31 feet overall, which when first bought (SH) had a somewhat ugly but ever-so-comfortable soft dodger. For a couple of years I thought that perhaps something in the design of the boat was preventing her from being able to heave-to for more than a minute or so before tacking through the backed headsail and taking off again. She would still do this with a backed full genoa and no main!
One day the dodger ripped so I dropped it onto the coachouse roof, and wonder of wonders - she hove to properly thereafter!
Alright - I guess I was a bit slow on the uptake there, but have since seen many hard dodgers added to boats that I guess would likewise prevent them from lying hoven-to. This is something I would consider quite dangerous for my often single, or light-handed sailing. Probably has a lot to do with keel type and deck config (mine is moulded fin, with aft cockpit, leaving the windage of the dodger well behind the centre of pressure, so the boat will rotate to windward every time unless I drop the dodger).
My dodger is no longer fitted (time and cost of replacement atm), but when I do eventually make a new one, it will be soft and fitted up for fast and easy dropping as part of the heave-to routine.
PS: I really miss my dodger - nothing like ripping along in a torrential storm all warm and dry watching TV in the cockpit with one hand on the wheel:-)
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:43   #88

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

That is definitely true. In all the thinking of dodgers hard or soft, you have to consider windage and how it will affect sailing performance, anchoring and will it survive strong winds and a big wave.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:13   #89

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thanks for opening this useful dodger thread, I have been wanting to build a hard dodger for longer than I can tell, design will make or break your boats appearances and what is left of one’s ego, if it comes out say dog’s balls or like a pumpkin on a car’s roof (now there is an idea!)

Humour aside, three kinds of talent are required to get the build right, the design to match the boat original lines engineering if one once to added a traveler on the dodger’s roof Like I wish to do and the manual ability to build one to the design.

If you own a custom build boat, there is no alternative but to get the pros in to build for you. That said there goes my cruising budget for the year. What and how to have one constructed has been plaguing me for years as I would like to take my boat to Patagonia.

From the DYI buildability I can meet the most of my boats challenges as I have installed most of my boats electrical computer and hardware systems. But there my ability comes to an end, I’m handy capped when it comes building a dodger, the stumbling block is building a jig that will it’s included as an attachment here.

If anyone has a solution on how best to approach engineering and building a light weight dodger without breaking the bank, I’m very interested in a solution.

Kryg

Skoiern IV

Quote:
REASON FOR THIS THREAD?

I am starting this thread because I happen to like to see well made Hard Dodgers on boats. I consider them a valuable addition to a cruising boat. The focus of the thread is on HARD Dodgers because they are more uncommon and pose additional cost and consideration ("How will it look?").

A dodger is one of the most highly suggested additions to a cruising boat. While some racing and purist day sailors will dismiss or discourage them because they affect the appearance of a boat, I think their practicality is undeniable. Some of my favorite cruising boats have hard dodgers.

My Point of View or Experience?
I am no boat expert, and I have not built or bought a Hard Dodger, but I do have experience that influences my Point of View.

I know from personal experience while on a long passage offshore (2,500 miles nonstop) it is nice to have some shelter from the spray that comes from the bow or crosses the cockpit. I spent many hours with hard driven cold spray and rain in my face to appreciate that a dodger would make my time at the helm or on watch much less unpleasant. One night at the helm, as the salt spray was stinging my eyes and the rain felt like needles in the face (due to high winds) I wished the boat I was on had a dodger behind which I could shelter while on watch. It was at that moment I decided I really wanted one on my future boat. Harsh experiences or unpleasant hours doing something tend to make that kind of impression.

This will be an ONGOING Thread:

I intend to add many examples of hard dodgers to this thread as I come across them while researching boats. I have many examples in my files, and as I have time I will add them to this thread so it can become a good "Illustrated Guide" and I hope it will be a good contribution to CF and useful to members now and in the future.

I also encourage any CF Members to participate by adding photos and descriptions of your own Hard Dodgers too. In particular, mention the boat you have it on, whether it was a custom build, or if you bought a kit or fabricated it yourself. Include recommended changes or tips. Include your estimated total cost. Feel free to add your opinions on your own dodger and its success or usefulness and value to you. Please post a PHOTO of your HARD dodger, if you have one so members can see their style and appearance on your model of boat.

Hard or Soft Dodger?

I think a HARD dodger has some advantages over a SOFT dodger. A few I think important are:

1. A HARD dodger can have tempered or laminated GLASS window panels that are less likely to be scratched and may provide a clear view forward for many years. This means the viewing forward can be clearer, compared to many soft dodgers that use soft vinyl. In addition, I have noticed that most HARD dodgers have more clear viewing area, while many SOFT dodger have large sections of solid canvas, which can block the helmsmans view forward. I consider maximum visibility (clear sighting) to be important and prefer that. Some Soft dodgers use all vinyl or all clear panels, but they seem rare.

2. The HARD dodger structure can include secure handholds (for leaving the cockpit in transition to the side decks), ports for viewing the sails above the dodger, and a more protective structure for the crew to shelter behind when facing green water over the bow or sides. Some dodgers also include solar panels (though they can be added above some soft dodgers too).

What about a SOFT Dodger?

Many boats have a soft dodger made of canvas and some clear vinyl. Those are ubiquitous and also useful. The advantage they offer is that the dodger can usually be folded down when not needed. It is also a more "temporary" addition to the boat. Some sailors don't want ANY dodger affecting the appearance of their boats lines.

In short, if I could not afford to add a HARD dodger, I would add a SOFT dodger.

The shortcoming of the SOFT dodger is that it is soft and made of materials that do not last long. The canvas is subject to UV damage and may need to be replaced after a few years. The stainless steel frames may be damaged over time and may not survive a breaking wave. The soft clear vinyl window panels may become scratched or hazed due to abuse, use, or sun damage or age. Some older SOFT dodgers have clear panels that are difficult to see through due to hazing or discoloration (due to age and UV damage).

I will post a few examples of SOFT dodgers too. Some are unusual and noteworthy.

There can also be a HYBRID dodger that has a HARD top and soft sides. I will post some examples of those too.

Finally, I hope you find this thread interesting and helpful, and I already know it will take hours of work to get it where I expect it to be. I am confident that over the next few months you will see it populated with many examples and opinions. I hope you will subscribe to it because it will take some time to upload all of the photos and examples I will be adding. If you subscribe, you will see those new examples as they are added.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:01   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

KYRG,

Thanks for joining the discussion with a good post that raises some good issues.

I think many would like to try to build their own, so we will see (and post) DIY examples, and more examples of "home built" dodgers.

There are many sailors/owners who may lack the time or desire or skills to design and fabricate a dodger. So, I expect this thread to also have examples of commercial products (kits or built) and also custom yachts that show unique designs.

And there is another category, such as the "Round The World" RTW racing boats that have some cutting edge features that may influence dodgers now and in the future. I intend to post some photos of Dodgers similar to those.

The following question is not aimed at you, but are reflective of these issues and apply to anyone.

Hard Dodger Design Principle:

"Do you have the resources, skills, and time to design and build a hard dodger that will satisfy you?"

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood