Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 10:15   #16
cruiser

Boat: Viksund, m/s 33
Re: Hardships buying used boat

Are you joking... If your spending all your $5000 and its an issue maybe you should stay in your apartment...it doesn't get any cheaper bud. Free boats not free, and a cheap boats not free... Trust me, www.sailingjomfru.com
seven8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:41   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven8668 View Post
Are you joking... If your spending all your $5000 and its an issue maybe you should stay in your apartment...it doesn't get any cheaper bud. Free boats not free, and a cheap boats not free... Trust me, The Jomfru Project.
I may have missed something? I didn't see live aboard but if it was the apartment is sound advise. If it is just to have a hobby he should go for it if he knows the cost of keeping a boat, and is budgeting for that. Not everyone is looking at a boat as a live aboard panacea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:20   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I may have missed something? I didn't see live aboard but if it was the apartment is sound advise. If it is just to have a hobby he should go for it if he knows the cost of keeping a boat, and is budgeting for that. Not everyone is looking at a boat as a live aboard panacea.
Hell its a boat.. If it only a $5000 "HOBBY" boat what's the problem? Than it to a yard for a half day and poke it with a stick.most people don't have $5000 dollars for a hobby boat and bitch about the cost of taking proper care of a vessel..theirs always a loser that defends a cheap boat owner. It cost what it cost. Buy a used car as a hobby. It WON'T SINK!!!! Good day
Old 23-09-2016, 11:24   #19
cruiser

That's the same kind of boat owner that ask me for a quote to paint the boat then gets upset when it's more than he/she paid for the boat... ���� ~~_/)_~~
Old 23-09-2016, 11:54   #20

Quote:
Hell its a boat.. If it only a $5000 "HOBBY" boat what's the problem? Than it to a yard for a half day and poke it with a stick.most people don't have $5000 dollars for a hobby boat and bitch about the cost of taking proper care of a vessel..theirs always a loser that defends a cheap boat owner. It cost what it cost. Buy a used car as a hobby. It WON'T SINK!!!! Good day
I thought I was being polite? That sounds like I pissed you off? If the guy has 5grand and knows the expenses and has budgeted for his hobby, God bless him. Making the assumption he will not take care of it?

I was piss poor once with a well maintained boat. I'm glad you must have a Mega yacht.
Old 23-09-2016, 12:25   #21

The boat is in water and presumably has been used all summer, so it should be in sailable condition. If so, put $5400 in your pocket and have the seller take you out sailing. If everything works, give him the $5400 and he'll give you the boat.

If the boat turns out to be not worth $5400 to you, offer him what you are willing to pay for it, cash-on-the-spot.

If the boat is not sailable, don't bother. Keep looking for the right boat, but be ready to make a quick cash deal.

IF you are not comfortable buying a $5000 sailboat without having a survey done, consider setting your sights a little smaller and get a 19 or 20-footer for less than $1500.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:31   #22

Boat: Mirage 32

Tanzer 26 is has a robust hull and rig, pretty basic and simple. The actually sail very well. The motor is worth $2000 at least. You haven't got much to loose.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:47   #23

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
That's the same kind of boat owner that ask me for a quote to paint the boat then gets upset when it's more than he/she paid for the boat... ���� ~~_/)_~~
Are you talking about painting the boat or doing a bottom job? Asking because bottom job was mentioned and it is painted on.

What would be a ballpark for what you would charge for a 26' boat bottom job? (I have no idea retail as I do my own)
Old 23-09-2016, 14:50   #24

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
He of course promises it is in fantastic shape and it was just bottom painted (with photos) and according to him checked over. He actually offers to purchase the boats back in the following year as he cant store them for the winter. The boat in mind has a 2015 yamaha 9.9, new paint as mentioned, immaculate interior and he is firm at $5400. He now let me know I was first in line so will wait for me to come otherwise will move on to the next person.. I am having a hard time deciding what to do in this environment as boats in my price range do not last and there is little opportunity to hold it long enough to have checked out.
I'd say I was interested, would appreciate if he could take me out to see her ability and would take his offer to buy back in any sale agreement. He sounds like a good salesperson, and there is nothing wrong with that, (hes not a politician is he, cos if his name is Trump.... say no more) but I would use his technique back at him . If it's a resort she probably has been looked after as ... insurance, responsibility for guests and she probably would be ready to flick after depreciation. Have you been to see her? As someone else said, cash in hand. That will talk for you. Caution to the wind innit?
Good luck, sounds cheap to me.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Connolly View Post
Tanzer 26 is has a robust hull and rig, pretty basic and simple. The actually sail very well. The motor is worth $2000 at least. You haven't got much to loose.
I am not generally pro on this kind of post. It sounds like he has all his **** in one sock. It isn't the I am planning on living aboard and saving money by doing it.

I wish him well.
Old 23-09-2016, 18:17   #26

You have to get yourself to a point where you can afford a cheap or even a free boat. By that I mean you have to have the knowledge, the ability and the willingness to work on such a boat while often living on it, to save money on rent, etc.

Case in point. Last weekend I was helping my friend clean and paint the bottom of his boat while the tide was extra low. There were couple of guys who were helping as well. As we had 4 people doing it instead of the usual 2 we finished early and while waiting for the tide to float us spent the rest of the evening shooting breeze, etc. Turns out one of the 2 other guys used to be a sailing club member for about 5 years and finally decided to get his own boat. I was floored to find out that last November he got a 44 foot late 60s classic for $5K, a fraction of what was owed to the yard by the boat's PO. Sure the boat sat neglected in a yard with its hull half full of rain water. The guy got the engine, an old now uncommon brand, to run and splashed the boat early in the Spring and moved her to a downtown mooring, since he works nearby, commuting to work by dinghy. He gave up his city apartment and moved onto the boat. That is saving him a ton of dough which he puts back into the boat. For winter he told us he's getting a dock space since they are dirt cheap off season. Admittedly he's more handy than your average dreamer, apparently having worked with engines and other things mechanical since high school but still I was impressed by the fact that it took him only one winter to get the boat from a "sorry derelict full of water" to a "floating home downtown" condition. It is of course far from "blue water ready boat" yet but I'm sure he'll get her there in less time than it takes most dreamers to just go out looking for their "right boat". And I should know since I was once such a dreamer looking at the boats instead of learning the systems, having hands on experience, etc.

Second point is that everything is a compromise and is relative. When I got my first boat, a 27 footer for all of $400, my first goal was to keep the costs at least on par or less with what the sailing clubs were charging per season of the use of such class of boats. Which in the case of the club I was a member of was about $3,000 per year. I owned that boat for about 4-5 years and not once did I exceed that limit. So financially at least for me it was a wash compared to paying the club. But psychologically it was a great boost since not only owning the boat compared to using club's boats helped me with the learning curve it also allowed me to personalize the boat to my tastes and needs (my biggest peeve while at the club was having to lug all that gear and doodahs for those week long or even weekend cruises) but also forced me to deal with all the things ancillary to the boat ownership.

Oh, and I sold it for $1,100 to a guy who was going to use her as his summer apartment which would have cost him at least that much per month to rent.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:19   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you know how to evaluate a boat, check for rotted wood or bad chainplates, meathooks in the rigging, no big deal. If you don't know how to look for these things...still no problem, get that "I'll buy it back for five grand in the spring if you're not happy" in writing. Notarized and witnessed.
It is easy to paint a small boat without any lift. You just drop the mast, invert the hull, paint, and roll it back over once it is dry. (Ahuh, sure.) Or careen it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:05   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you are not familiar with how to inspect a boat try Marine Survey 101.

It covers more than you likely have in a Tanzer 26 but you might learn enough to get by.
Old 24-09-2016, 14:47   #29

Boat: Hunter 23.5

This must be the boat that the OP is talking about.

Superb Condition Tanzer 26 | sailboats | Vancouver | Kijiji

Hell Never mind the survey, buy it , get sailing , she looks good to me I would not hesitate, and you live in the nicest sailing waters on this planet.
Lakehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:07   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehunter View Post
This must be the boat that the OP is talking about.

Superb Condition Tanzer 26 | sailboats | Vancouver | Kijiji

Hell Never mind the survey, buy it , get sailing , she looks good to me I would not hesitate, and you live in the nicest sailing waters on this planet.
As a surveyor, I would not typically give this advice but she looks pretty good (if photos are current)..... I'd guess it's worth the risk without a survey.

The license number on the bow indicates she was originally commissioned in Ontario so has not spent her whole life in salt water (bonus). The only thing I'd be cautious off is the stove. I can't tell if it's propane or not but the tank hanging on the stern rail suggests it may be. If it is propane it is unlikely to have flame failure devices at the burners or a solenoid shut-off .... other than that, go for it !

PS. If it is propane you can learn a little bit at Safe Boat Propane Installations

Tags
buying, used boat