Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 05:46   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Haul out opportunity

So I have a C&V survey plus a sea trial coming up tomorrow on a boat I am likely going to purchase. I’ve read dozens of posts and websites on what to look for at this critical point (thank you to those that contributed!). What I am interested in is benchmarking the boat, assuming that it will be mine in a matter of a couple of weeks. I intend to photograph and document the condition of the hull, of course. And even though the draft is a published number, I want to measure from a fixed point along the gunwale so I can check it with the boat fully loaded if need be. What else should I be looking at to benchmark on my Day 0?
DaveKurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 06:04   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Haul out opportunity

I imagine that a good thorough survey will be your baseline benchmark. While the boat is out of the water, I'd look at the shaft and cutlass bearing, sound the rudder and inspect the Prop, Zincs, and of course the hull and keel joint. If it has a centerboard, lower it and inspect pivot and cable etc. Thru-hulls. Paint adhesion, blisters etc.

Good luck with the new boat! Hope it's a winner!
Old 27-08-2019, 06:49   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Lots and lots of photos. I still occasionally look at ours from our initial survey and we have had Orontes II over 10 years.

You may consider taking someone else with you to take the photos. This will free you up to keep your eyes and ears open during the survey rather than focusing on the camera.

Best of luck!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:47   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the surveyor will know more than you about what to look at. follow his lead. take a deep breath. listen and learn.

Tags
haul out