Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 08:18   #1

Boat: Pearson 31
Head Oder!

Hi, I’m planning on replacing all my waste lines this winter. Can anyone suggest a link or site for buying waste lines?
I also need to fix or replace the holding tank because there is a small leak where the lower elbow connects into the tank. Any sites you could share for finding a new holding tank?
By the way it’s a Pearson 31
One more thing, the toilet pump allows waste to seep back into the toilet (occasionally)
Thanks in advance
Tom
Tomrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:27   #2
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33
Re: Head Oder!

Look up "Peggy marine head on Google here. That lady knows more about head systems than most head manufactures. She literally wrote "The" book.

My advise is just install a composting head and be done with all that stinky, expensive plumbing. They just work.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:33   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomrob View Post
Hi, I’m planning on replacing all my waste lines this winter. Can anyone suggest a link or site for buying waste lines?
I also need to fix or replace the holding tank because there is a small leak where the lower elbow connects into the tank. Any sites you could share for finding a new holding tank?
One more thing, the toilet pump allows waste to seep back into the toilet (occasionally)
Thanks in advance
Tom
I ordered my waste hoses from Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies, I am unrelated and very satisfied with the service.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 03:53   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

See posts by PegHall for head- and odor-related info. Once you find one of her posts, see also the info about her book in the signature block. You'll benefit from reading that.

She recommends Ronco Plastics for replacement tanks... and they served us very well when we did our project.

I got SaniFlex hose from Defender.com, and it was well worth the price -- it's easier to work with, bend around corners, etc.

-Chris
Old 21-08-2019, 04:39   #5

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

What RGN said, both pieces of advice are worth investigation.

Peg Hall knows her stuff, that can’t be argued.

But if you never ever again want to deal with joker valves, permeated hoses, leaks, etc, composting heads fit that bill, as RGN said, they just work.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:59   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you can replace the hoses w/sched. 40 PVC, that will eliminate the need to replace the hoses every several years after they become permeated. Depending on your current hose run, you still may need to do some bends w/hose, but at least you can cut down the most of the odors from hoses by using mostly PVC.
Recommendations for a replacement Ronco plastic tank are right on the money.
The head will need to be serviced w/a rebuild kit which should be a relatively simple task.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 14:37   #7

Thanks all, I recently installed a new toilet pump assembly including the joker valve. We are still getting brown water in the bowl after 4 to 6 hours.
The water level stops when the bowl is 1/2 full. Thank God!
Also can anyone direct me to a site for a new holding tank?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2019, 16:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

https://ronco-plastics.com/product/w...-holding-tank/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49   #9

Quote:
Thanks all, I recently installed a new toilet pump assembly including the joker valve. We are still getting brown water in the bowl after 4 to 6 hours.
The water level stops when the bowl is 1/2 full. Thank God!
Also can anyone direct me to a site for a new holding tank?

Ronco is good, but...

The symptom you describe here doesn't necessarily suggest a new tank will fix it.

Is your overboard discharge thru-hull closed?

And/or, is there a loop in the toilet discharge hose just after the joker valve?

-Chris
Old 12-09-2019, 13:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

I don't think you need a new tank 'cuz the tank isn't the source of your problem.

It's unlikely that the brown water is coming from the tank because the toilet discharge line connects to the tank at the top of it So unless the tank is full to overflowing, you'd have to be heeled way over on the same tack as the inlet for the contents to spill into the toilet discharge line. So I suspect that your real problem is a blocked tank VENT that's pressurized the tank, creating back pressure that's preventing flushes from getting into the tank.

All tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

Do NOT use the toilet again or try to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent. Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent, you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...reconnect the vent line.

If there's a filter in the vent line, remove it...once a filter gets wet--which can happen when a tank is overfilled or even due to heeling--the charcoal swells and blocks the vent...one of the reasons why vent filters aren't recommended for use on most sailboats.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 14:08   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Tom
Anywhere you can get Raratan super flexible waste hose. I would never use anything else. Try amazon.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 16:49   #12

Hello and thanks for all the help. Can anyone tell me where I can find the original pluming diagram for my 1988 Pearson 31. My 1 1/2” hose leaves the toilet pump to the bottom of the holding tank. This doesn’t seem correct to me. This could be why I’m getting Brown water in the bowl!
Old 13-09-2019, 04:21   #13

Quote:
Hello and thanks for all the help. Can anyone tell me where I can find the original pluming diagram for my 1988 Pearson 31. My 1 1/2” hose leaves the toilet pump to the bottom of the holding tank. This doesn’t seem correct to me. This could be why I’m getting Brown water in the bowl!

Doesn't sound correct to me, either. In all the installations I've seen (not many, though), the discharge line from the discharge line from toilet to tank enters the tank on the side near the top, or actually through the top of the tank.

Discharge lines from tank to overboard pump and discharge thru-hull have started either on the side of the tank near the bottom, or on the top of the tank with a dip tube inside. (Our original was the former, and there was a T in that right at the tank; one line went to the deck pump-out fitting, the other went to the overboard macerator and thru-hull.)

I've read of holding tanks with discharges on the bottom, but haven't ever seen one like that.

-Chris
Old 13-09-2019, 04:58   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I’d forget about finding a worthwhile plumbing diagram.

You’ll be better served by tracing and diagraming the plumbing yourself.

But if your head discharge really does go to the bottom of the tank, you’ve found the reason for the goo returning to the bowl.

If you’ve got a top and bottom hole on the tank, I’d re-plumb with the head discharge to the tank top.

The deck/overboard discharge cannected to the bottom with a pvc standpipe to prevent standing “fluid” in a rubber hose.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head