Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 19:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Headsail Size Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
15 years ago on my previous boat the 150 was exhilarating to sail with. Now that I am older wiser and more conservative I like the idea of a 110. The admiral likes the idea better as well. These days it's comfort over speed. Good replies. Thanks.
It depends a lot on the boat, some cruising boats are under rigged, some ex race yachts are over rigged. Start with the 110 and if you find you are always under powered switch to the bigger one.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:38   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
Otherwise maybe rig the big Genoa during the summer, and the smaller jib during winter is a viable option. Opinions...
That's what I do. I carry a 110% lapper in the winter, and a 85% yankee in the summer. I use a gennaker downwind when either sail doesn't give me enough power.

In my opinion, trying to find one sail to do the work of three is one of the biggest mistakes modern cruisers make. You end up only have the right sail about 10% of the time.

A 150% genoa is a racing sail that was developed to "game" handicap formulas. Period. It just doesn't belong on a cruising boat, especially a cruiser that sometimes sails shorthanded.
Old 17-02-2013, 20:04   #18

Boat: Allures 44

A 130% jib for summer in Maine and a 90% jib for windier locations / seasons.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:15   #19

Boat: 1982 Baba 35 / 1977 Columbia Payne 9.6

Each boat is quite different from the next. My boat has a high aspect ratio main sail. I had Mack Sails make a 135% genoa for my roller furler with the foam luff. It will furl to about 105% and the boat sails very well balanced. The miter cut sail flattens out much better in a fresh breeze than you typical genoa. So, consider matching the genoa with your main sail type. Consider pointing ability... and in the tropics, I would have my primary genoa a miter cut. That has made a huge difference on my boat.
CaptainKevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:55   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I suppose the phase "in the tropics" by the OP is important to the question. Would someone explain how this qualification applies for us new sailors please? Sorry if I missed it already, will reread thread.

North Sails 135% genoa with foam luff on Profurl Classic titanium furler here. I think it works well, but what the hell do I know.
Old 18-02-2013, 08:01   #21

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I suppose the phase "in the tropics" by the OP is important to the question. Would someone explain how this qualification applies for us new sailors please? Sorry if I missed it already, will reread thread.

North Sails 135% genoa with foam luff on Profurl Classic titanium furler here. I think it works well, but what the hell do I know.
By mentioning "in the tropics", my intention was to clarify that I am not planning to sail in the latitudes at which you get extreme conditions on a regular basis. My typical sailing will be light air upwards to brisk trade wind conditions, with an occasional squall or storm along the way. One might select a more conservative sail plan if the intent is to round Cape Horn vs. Caribbean sailing.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size