Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2024, 00:46   #1

Heat insulation

Hi,

I'm aware some models of sailboat have foam hull layers that presumably provide some level of heat insulation (and sound maybe).

How much of a difference might this make I wonder, assuming the rest of the boat is also insulated?

My understanding is that it would have to be a very neat job with minimal gaps (difficult on a boat), and a few mm retrofitted insulation might not be that effective?

Thinking about folks living aboard year round, especially in winter in colder countries...
bpbpbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 05:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Heat insulation

So, a fully cored hull helps a lot with condensation and insulation. Most boats built since the 90's have this, other than cheap mass produced boats.

Then, some boats have exposed parts of the hull and/or deck, others use headliners and otherwise enclose the hull in some way. Boats with upholstery headliners are MUCH better in cold weather, than those without. These do not typically have insulation inside, but the upholstery insulates and there is an air gap to the hull.

Metal boats often have a thick layer of foam insulation inside the hull, which works great.

I would not want to try to retrofit anything here, unless you are prepared to completely redo the fitout.

The biggest issue is condensation, which is really miserable in cold weather in poorly insulated boats. Enough heat can balance out heat loss, but condensation from spots of bare hull will always be with you in cold weather.

Don't forget good ventilation -- like good dorade vents. This is important for comfort in cold weather.

And a good heat source. Central hydronic is the gold standard.

One last factor is the construction of salon windows and hatch covers -- some boats have double pane glass there, a big plus in cold weather, again, because of condensation.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 13:06   #3

Re: Heat insulation

Thanks!! That's comprehensive, I see there is a lot to think about in this regard.
bpbpbp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation